cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hitron coda - 8452 - can you port forward?

Bikerbob
I'm a contributor level 1

Hello, new user of the Fido service.

I am trying to serve a Telnet BBS from my home. IT is a telnet serial device that I have on an internal IP and I serve it right now at port 10001 - could be any open port.

I have made a port forwarding rule, I have DMZd the IP, I have dropped the firewall completely.

No port scan I have run can see the 10001 port. 

Any help?

James

22 REPLIES 22

ElectronTech
I'm a participant level 1

Same issue for me. I wanted to see if I can do port forwarding of a Camera or NVR and I think that these ports are blocked by FIDO. I just tried a simple trick, started the IIS Windows web server in 2 ports 80 and 8088 and tried to do port forwarding to 8088. From my LAN I can open the page. from the outside (using a mobile connection ) I can't. 
This means that either the ports are blocked or the configuration is wrong.

@ Fido admins, can we do something about this or is there any limitation?

Thanks! 

Hello ElectronTech,

Welcome to the community!

I think you might be better off contacting techical support with your issue. As mentioned by some of the moderators of the forum, port forwarding is likely outside the scope of their available assistance. While there may be some community members who may be able to provide assistance, Fido's technical support team would be best suited to provide assistance.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

jcrichzh

any updates on this? I'm trying to port forward with the Plex Media Server app with no avail.

Hello jcrichzh,

Welcome to the community! 

Feel free to contact our internet tech support team. I'm sure they'll be able to help! 

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @Bikerbob,

I'm not sure why you are not getting access to the ports you set, as far as I'm aware Fido does not block any ports. I use port forwarding on the same modem and it works just fine everyone else that I know that uses Rogers internet has no problems with port forwarding.

Are you sure your setup is correct? Are you using your actual IP address from outside of the network or are you using a DNS? If you are using a DNS is it updated with your actual IP?

Bikerbob

Yes Kapable I have done all those things.. I have tried to connect to the actual ip usings whatsmyip   I have used my ddns   bikerbobsclubhouse.ddns.net  which I have updated manually many times when I switch services, or reset the modem etc..etc.. its just not working.

James

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hey @Bikerbob,

I'm actually with Rogers but it should be the same I don't think they block any ports, I do have port forwarding working but I had to lower the firewall settings to see my cameras from outside. I actually have one D-Link camera that I have to lower the firewall to minimum to see it even from inside the network.

Honestly, if you want better control over the network getting a router would be the better way to go, the ISP provide is just to provide you with a connection and some security you won't have full control over the network.

Try going in the custom setting for the firewall and turn off the firewall completely and see if you can make the connection.

Bikerbob

Thanks for your suggestions, Kapable, I have done that as well.

Last night I setup one of my other routers and put the 4582 into bridge mode..  Still no open ports. 

Unless I can get someone from FIDO to tell me it is supposed to work, I am now assuming it does not. I see no other posts here about it.. maybe very few people do it. With Cogeco I have no issues, with BELL I have no issues I have used Acanac no issues and Cannet out of North York no issues.

This is the first service where I have been completely blocked. I guess I will be switching.. OH well.. it was good speed at a good price.

James

Bikerbob

I need an ISP that allows port forwarding. I have been trying for days now to get my fido on the coda 4582 to do simple port forwarding.

I cannot get anyone at FIDO to answer me.

IS it possible to forward ports, or is FIDO managing the modem?  

If you can forward ports and you KNOW THIS FOR A FACT can you post. 

Thanks

James

Hey there @Bikerbob

Just a heads up, I move your post to this thread as it's related to the same request.

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble setting up your home network. Since the service seems to work for others, I think it's same to assume it should work for you as well.

That being said, port forwarding would fall out of our troubleshooting scope. We'd advise you to contact our technical support team for better assistance. You can reach them 24/7 by phone or live chat here

Let us know how it goes.

Bikerbob

It did not. 

It took 3 tries to get a new modem.  Once I got it.. it was the same situation.

Seems like I will be changing provider. Fido is blocking all my ports.. why I have no idea.. but this will not work for me, and no one in technical support or here on this community forum can help.. even though many say it should work. I cannot get it to work.

James

We're sorry to learn that you are still experiencing difficulties with that, James. We want you to be able to use/access the ports you require, however, the best way to go about this is to contact our interner technical support team and have this investigate through them if necessary. I understand you already spoke to them, but I would suggest reaching out once more. They specialize in everything related to internet ad have all the necessary tools to dig deeper.

Bikerbob

actually, if you had bothered to read the thread, you would know.. no one person in this thread that is a FIDO user has been able to do port forwarding.. NO thread on this forum says they have been able to do port forwarding. Kapable is not a FIDO user. He is the only one to respond to me so far. 

I have contacted your tech support, 6 times, out of those 6 - 5 were a complete waste of time as most people REFUSED to give me a direct answer.  As for the 6th - I am having the modem replaced today. We will see if that will fix the issue.

If it does not I will move on from FIDO to another provider that I have no problems with.  As I have stated the Speed is good, the price with my promotion is good. But without the ability to port foward its of no value to me and I will move on. 

Thanks for the update @Bikerbob! I hope the new modem takes care of that for you.

Bikerbob

forward.png

Hey, @Bikerbob it looks good, try changing the protocol to TCP only I had issues connecting to a device from outside of the network, and just setting it to TCP solved the problem for me.

Bikerbob

Yes I have done that.. changed the outside port to 23 and service to Telnet, so that it would use specific TCP.. none of those work.

I can internally ping the device.. it responds.. SO it should be able to respond to external port scan if the port is not being blocked.

I was on the phone yesterday with Fido tech support, no one so far has been able to give me a definitive answer that port forwarding SHOULD WORK.. and its not something on the Fido end blocking this. I have heard that some ISP manage their subscribers and therefore any rules I make on the modem are pointless.

You are saying that right now.. with your fido service.. you have been able to get to your local device from outside the network using the port forwarding rules in the modem?

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hey @Bikerbob

That's good can you post a screenshot of how you did the port forward?

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hey @Bikerbob,

Can you connect to it internally? If you can then we know something is blocking you from connecting externally but if you can not connect to it internally then it could be something with the Telenet device.

Try port 80 and see if you can make a connection.

Bikerbob

yes I can connect to it internally. Using the internal address 192.168.0.241, 10001 from my Telnet program. Works fine.

James