cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FidoStephane

Playfull_Banner_900x300_E_sRGB.JPG

Hey Community!

We figured we’d give you a head’s up: You can now change your outgoing name display yourself via My Account on Fido.ca.

Express yourselves and personalize your calls with this new feature, whether it's simply putting an actual name or nickname, or going all out to grab the attention of a busy friend.

When you have more than one line on your account, all Call Display names default to the account holder's name. Now, you can change that. Anytime, anywhere. Changing a Call Display name is easy, and it's right at your fingertips.

Sure, go ahead and change your name to Batman. No one’s going to believe you (cause he uses the Batphone, not a smartphone).

How do to it? It’s as easy as 1-2-3 (4-5)

1. Log into My Account
  2. Select the phone line you would like to modify
  3. Select Change My Call Display Name in the header, next to Update SIM card
  4. Enter your new First Name and Last Name. Your Call Display Name should not contain special characters (except comma, apostrophes and spaces), letters with accents, profanity and prohibited words like “Unknown” or “Emergency”.
  5. Select Update. A window will appear showing your new Call Display Name.

Try it out right here 

Our vision is to allow our customer to decide how and when they can manage their Wireless account. That’s why we’re constantly launching new self-serve options in the Fido.ca My Account.

Let us know what you think in Comments section!

-FidoStephane

36 Comments
OttawaOldTimer
I'm a visitor
I'm a visitor

After following this procedure the display names on the different lines in my account have updated but not in practice. Making a call from either line still use old single name.  

glen1
I'm a visitor
I'm a visitor
Option doesn't even come up.   Do i need to delete and reload the fido app?  I think it's up to date. 
Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello @glen1,

Welcome to the community!

I'm not sure the option is available on the app... yet. I understand the video shows the change using a device, however, I believe the device is logging on to My Account via the web page and not via the app. I, too have not found the option in the app, but I have found the option by logging on to My Account via web page.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

FidoAmanda
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey guys!

@OttawaOldTimer When did you make the change? There is still a delay of 24 hours for the change to take effect when modifying your outgoing Call Display. 

@glen1 At this time, the option to change your outgoing Call Display is only available in My Account on Fido.ca. You can access My Account on your computer or using your mobile browser to be able to do this. 

anoukcharles
I'm a participant level 1
There is no such option when I log into my account on Fido.ca. I don't have the option to change my display name anywhere.
FidoMaria
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hi @anoukcharles & welcome to the Community!

When you log in, do you have the other options such as changing your number/SIM card? And do you use your e-mail address as your username?

Let me know. Smiley

eetrn
I'm back
I'm back

There seems to be a constant error when I do sbumit and confirm to change my display name. What could the reason for this be?

FidoAmanda
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey eetrn!

Welcome to the Community! 

What is the error message you're getting when you try to change your display name?

eetrn
I'm back
I'm back

Hi Amanda, 

The messege that appears is "We’re sorry. Something went wrong. We are unable to update your Call Display name at this time.Please try again later or contact us."

FidoCharles
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Thanks for the info @eetrn !

What browser do you use?

If you try with a different one, does the issue persist?

mark2000
I'm a contributor level 2
I'm a contributor level 2

Fido reps:

Are you really serious about this, you don't mind if we want to change it to something fun like "Batman" or "I have pizza"?

I wouldn't dream of making it offensive, but I love this idea so much! So if I wanted to make my name Marky Mark, that would be OK?

Questions:

- What about numbers, can someone test if are they OK? For example "Mark 1981"

- Do you need to fill out the first and last name field, or would just one be OK?

- What is the total length of the name that can be input/displayed?

This seems too cool for school!

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @mark2000!

Glad you love this new option Very_Happy

To answer your question, both fields do have to be filled out and we recommend using your real name (or nickname). In terms of numbers, they will only be accepted for business accounts (if part of the business name).

For the character limit, there is a 15 letter limit for the first name and 18 for the last name. Keep in mind that this doesn't necessarily mean everything will show up when you call someone as some devices do not show that many characters and it can get cut off Smiley

anoukcharles

@FidoMaria: No, I don't have such options. And no, I use instead my phone number as the username to log in.

FidoKenny

Hey @anoukcharles

In order to have access to all your information online, it will be necessary to use your email for you username.

You will need to register as a new customer online using your email and put in all the necessary information.

Let me know how it goes on your end.

Tigerp
I'm a visitor
I'm a visitor

To change the call display name, you will need to agree to the following terms "If you are adding a new name to this account, this person will be able to make plan changes and buy/remove optional services like add-ons and travel packs".

I have 5 lines with fido under my name If I check yes to the above condition  then I'm giving the person using the line to change the plan without my knowledge and that's a big NO. I hope fido remove this condition. 

FidoAlyson
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Thanks a lot for the feedback @Tigerp

We can update the authorization level of the contacts to add some restrictions.

For exemple, prevent them from making any changes that can have an impact on the agreement.

MichelleD
I'm a visitor
I'm a visitor

I would like to leave my last name out, or just use my initial but it will not let me.  Any way around this?

FidoAlyson
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Welcome to the Community @MichelleD 

I'm sending you a PM to help!

Jcheung1
I'm a visitor
I'm a visitor

I have a prepaid plan and I cannot see the option to Change Call Display.

Is this option only available for monthly plans?

FidoFaiza

Hi @Jcheung1, yes it is available to monthly accounts only for you. Do you want me to send you a PM to make the change for you? You can also reach our customer service to have it done. Thanks.