Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FidoStephen
Community Manager (Retired)

TipsAndTricks.png

Hey Community!

We thought we’d share a few tips and tricks with everyone regarding mobile internet since it’s a pretty hot topic nowadays.

The Fido My Account app is your best bet to track your usage. It automatically follows your billing cycle and resets with it each month.

Many phones have an option to set a data limit in the phone settings.

Android

Note that the steps may vary a little between Android phones due to the differences in the model and OS version, but it shouldn’t be too hard to find.

1. Go to Settings → Wireless & Networks → Mobile data/Data usage.
  2. Select your Data usage cycle (you can find it in the My Account app).
  3. Set a warning to receive a notification before going over.
  4. Set the limit to the amount of data your plan comes with. If you enable the Set mobile data limit/Limit mobile data usage, your cellular data will be blocked once the limit is reached. Don’t worry; you’ll still be able to use Wi-Fi.

Set your phone to connect to Wi-Fi when you get home, and check that you’re still connected to Wi-Fi before downloading a large file or streaming video/music.

Windows Phone 8

1. In the app list, tap on Data Sense → Set limit → select Monthly or Prepaid.
  2. Tap the available lists to enter the dates and values according to your plan.
  3. Tap Done

BlackBerry 10

1. On the home screen, swipe down from the top.
  2. Tap on Settings → App Manager → Device Monitor.
  3. Tap the Settings icon → Data Usage Settings.
  4. In the Mobile Data Limit field, type your monthly data limit in MB.
  5. Move the Early Data Limit Notification slider to receive a notification when you are nearing your monthly data limit.
  6. To change your billing cycle, select a date in the Monthly Reset Date in the drop-down list.

Here are a few tips for the iOS users.

Stop Background App Refresh

• Settings → General → Background App Refresh

Disable Cellular Data by App (select which apps are allowed to transfer data over a cellular connection)

1. SettingsCellular
  2. Under Use Cellular Data For, turn off the switch for any app that you don’t want using cellular data.

Android users can also control which apps use background data. Here’s how:

1. SettingsMobile data
  2. Scroll down and tap on a desired app
  3. Check the box next to Restrict background data.

For Windows Phone 8:

1. Data senseSettings
  2. Turn on Restrict background data
  3. Select either When I’m near my limit or Always.

Hopefully this will help everyone out. Feel free to share other tips & tricks you may have!

-FidoStephen

20 Comments
AdamBeast
I'm qualified level 2
I'm qualified level 2

It is hard to believe but IOS still cannot set a data threshold

I wish apple will give it to us with IOS 9.  

FidoStephen

Fingers crossed! @AdamBeast

zadarzadar2015
I'm a visitor
I'm a visitor

I went over my data limit for 500 mb...How much I would be charged, anyone?

FidoKenny

Hi zadarzadar2015 and welcome to the community Smiley

Your data charges depend on the plan you have now. I'm sending you a PM to verify this Smiley

alexbmck
I'm back
I'm back

Will I be charged roaming charges if I use wifi to connect to the internet but turn off my data while abroad?

FidoStephen

Hey @alexbmck and welcome to the Community!

As long as your data is turned off, you won't incur any roaming charges for data usage if you're connected to Wi-Fi. Let us know if you have any other questions Smiley

OlgaL
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

Do you know if messages through Whats App are free or I will be charged the roaming fees while I am abroad?

FidoMatt
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hi @OlgaL,

Apps such as whatsapp and imessage use data and would cost you for roaming. If you use them through Wifi though you would not be charged. 

- FidoMatt

maggieryan
I'm a visitor
I'm a visitor

Would be useful to turn off wifi assist for iphone users

FidoPierre
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @maggieryan

Thanks for taking the time and sharing this tip! Smiley 

JamesV
I'm a visitor
I'm a visitor

Is there a way to set data limit on Apple phones?

FidoPierre
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @JamesV

It's not a feature that is available at this time. 

lanthrax
I'm a visitor
I'm a visitor

I have changed my plan from a 3 gb plan to a 4 gb plan. Will my data reset ? I have made the change halfway through billing cycle

FidoClaudia
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @lanthrax,

I'll send you a PM real soon so we can take a closer look at your account Smiley

corrinnao
I'm a visitor
I'm a visitor

Hi there, can you please clarify what turning off cellular data does? It says it resctricts all data to wifi including emails, web browsing and push notifications. I turned it off and wifi assist off and reset my stats. A couple mins later, I noticed cellular data was at 557mb due to push notifications! Why is this stilll using my cellular data? 

FidoCharles
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @corrinnao

Welcome to the Community!

Some functions from applications can override your device settings.

If push notifications are enabled directly in an App they will use data when there is no wifi to be pushed to your main screen.

corrinnao
I'm a visitor
I'm a visitor

Ok so how do I prevent that from happening and if that’s the case? And again, what does turning off cellular data and wifi assist do then if it still does prevent all push notifications? You didn’t answer my inital question. 

I don’t want to use my cellular data when I am home. IF an application can’t access the wifi,  I would rather it not work than use data. How do I do this? 

FidoClaudia
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @corrinnao,

Turning Cellular Data OFF should completely turn off your wireless connexion to a 3G or LTE network for data.

Can you let me know what iOS your phone is running?

Also, after you turned your Cellular Data OFF, were you still able to browse on the Internet or not at all?

Thanks in advance for letting me know.

corrinnao
I'm a visitor
I'm a visitor

Hi Claudia

Thanks for looking into this. I'm on a 6s. I can browse the internet just fine because I’m connected to my internet at home. 

Thanks, Corrinna 

FidoKija
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

I see! Thanks for the info Corrinna.

Are you able to browse the internet if you're not connected to your WiFi? Just to make sure, the internet at home shouldn't be the same as a connection to a 3G or LTE network. The purpose of mobile data is to in fact still have internet even though you're not at home. 

Keep us posted. Smiley