cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FidoStephane

FIDO_Community_Banner-900x300-B.jpg

Hey Community!

The Android Messages app is getting an upgrade today!  This upgrade will allow for Rich Communication Services, which means an even more awesome texting experience.  Most Android models released after today will have the new Android Messages build in, however it will be available for download from the Play Store to all Android devices running 4.1 and 4.4 or higher. Note that the update is rolled out to devices in batches. You'll receive a notification to update it when it's available.

So, what’s changing exactly? Android Messages now has advanced features such as Typing Indicators, Deliver Receipts, Read Receipts, Group Messaging, and Photo/file/Location Sharing capabilities. Pretty cool eh?

Note: The advanced features only work from Messages to Messages, for now at least.

Check it out today! It’s pretty awesome.

Cheers!

-FidoStephane

186 Comments
mzkaye729
I'm a participant level 1

I'm eagerly awaiting this as well but have not received that banner yet after multiple clear cache/date.

Does it have to be a Fido-issued phone for it to be pushed to Google Messenger ?

FidoFaiza

Hi @mzkaye729!

The update is pushed in batches and you should get it soon even if you have a non-Fido phone. 

mzkaye729

Thank you for the clarification, FidoFaiza.

I've called Fido mobile support just before reading your response and their Tech Support mentioned RCS is not currently offered by Fido...

FidoFaiza

Oops, that doesn't sound right! I will send you a PM to get more information on that, @mzkaye729. Thanks. 

MattinToronto
I'm a contributor level 2

As far as rollouts go this has definitely been one of the slower ones. Six weeks in, still no notification. Heck, Google has changed the name of the app from Messenger to Android Messages in the same period of time. Not terribly impressed. I hope that I'll get the notification, but it is starting to look like it won't happen until it is an industry standard. 

mzkaye729

I share the same sentiments w/ you, MattinToronto. I've been clearing cache and app data, and even tried a factory reset just to try and get this banner. I noticed the change to the app name as well so I uninstalled and then installed again w/ brand new hope, thinking "This is it !!!" ... but NOPE. Definitely a disappointment.

Considering it's almost the end of the month and my last inquiry was two weeks ago, this is a huge let-down. I've since switched back to Textra since RCS is the only reason I want to go to "Android Messages".

mzkaye729

Called into Fido yesterday and was told the rollout has been completed but that lots of people are complaining they never received the notification for RCS. I havent received anything on my phone at all to activate RCS either. What is going on here ???? Seems like a botched rollout. Is there a switch or something from the back-end to force this out to individual accounts for those who haven't received it yet ? I have all the requirements for this and Messenger pushed an update last night to my phone, even. 

FidoClaudia
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @mzkaye729,

Sorry to learn you still haven't gotten the update yet! We're still looking into this and we'll get back to you as soon as we have news!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would agree with FidoClaudia. I too waited weeks, if not, close to a month for the RCS to be enabled, and one day it started working out of no where. The good news is, I even did the upgrade to the new version which is now called Android Messages, instead of the old name Google Messenger, and the RCS feature still remained enabled. so that is good news for everyone.

Kizaing
I'm a visitor
I'm a visitor

I just signed up for Fido yesterday, I have the latest version of Android Messages and an Android phone running Nougat, but no RCS banner 😕

FidoManuel
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hi @Kizaing!

Welcome to the Community!

The update is pushed in batches, you should get it soon!

MattinToronto

Totally true if soon meant before the sun burns out. I'm all for Fido trying something new when other providers in the Canadian market aren't willing to. Bold move. However when you don't succeed in the roll out in a timely (read as: less than three months) fashion. It'd be great if they also told you why and gave reasonable projections as to when it would work. Can't offer new technology to people who love technology and then tell them to wait an indeterminant amount of time for it. Global rollouts happen at a quicker pace. At this point it seems like I'll get RCS on my phone the same day I get that puppy I was promised if I kept my room clean when I was 4.

FidoManuel
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

@Kizaing & @MattinToronto

I got an update about the roll out of the feature, it's been completed to all our customers in late February. If you don't see the RCS banner, make sure to download the app ''Android Messages'' from the PlayStore. If you are using an unlocked device, the roll out might be delayed, for all Fido phones, it's completed. 

Kizaing
I'm a visitor
I'm a visitor

Ah I have an unlocked device so I guess that explains it. Will unlocked devices be receiving the rollout? Id imagine so

FidoMaria
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hi @Kizaing! We'll look into it and get back to you asap. Smiley

MattinToronto

Well thank you for clearing that up FidoManuel, I was curious about their projected rollout completion date. It's a shame that they decided to connect unlocked devices last, and that they consider the rollout complete when contracted plans were taken care of. I'm not clear why unlocked devices would need to be done last. Assuming Fido is using release 4 or later of RCS, all the user would need is to have a phone with access to the LTE bands, a recent (4.4 or later) Android OS, and the current app version installed as their primary messaging app, and they'd be all set. Unless there is secondary priority for network rollouts with BYOD plans? That'd be rough to hear. It's never fun to hear you like someone more than they like you! Sad

FidoFaiza

Hi @MattinToronto, we like you just as much as you like us (if not more :)). We are currently lookig into it with the team in charge and will get to you once we have an update. Thanks. 

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello @MattinToronto,

I don't think the contract vs BYOP plans has anything to do with the roll-out. I think it has more to do with the vast number of possible unlocked devices. Yes, the RCS is relatively small platform but it still needs to be integrated with the devices' OS. Fido can do the bulk roll-out for locked phones because they are able to test the RCS integration with their own devices.

On the other hand, unlocked devices can have varying specifications. Even the same model of phone can have multiple versions, all with slightly different specifications. It would not be possible to test their RCS integration on all of the possible variations of phones. Pushing the update to any of those devices without testing could cause significant proplems on those phones and would therefore not be very responsible for any company to do so.

If they are able to provide the RCS update for unlocked devices, it would be on a case by case basis to ensure there are no issues with the update.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Kizaing
I'm a visitor
I'm a visitor

But RCS is a software feature, it has nothing to do with differing hardware

FidoMaria
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hi @Kizaing!

While RCS is a software feature, having an unlocked device can impact when you receive updates. The reason being that softwares are often tweaked to meet the specifications of the network provider to whom the phone was originally locked.

Hope this clarifies a bit. Smiley