cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FidoStephane

FIDO_Community_Banner-900x300-B.jpg

Hey Community!

The Android Messages app is getting an upgrade today!  This upgrade will allow for Rich Communication Services, which means an even more awesome texting experience.  Most Android models released after today will have the new Android Messages build in, however it will be available for download from the Play Store to all Android devices running 4.1 and 4.4 or higher. Note that the update is rolled out to devices in batches. You'll receive a notification to update it when it's available.

So, what’s changing exactly? Android Messages now has advanced features such as Typing Indicators, Deliver Receipts, Read Receipts, Group Messaging, and Photo/file/Location Sharing capabilities. Pretty cool eh?

Note: The advanced features only work from Messages to Messages, for now at least.

Check it out today! It’s pretty awesome.

Cheers!

-FidoStephane

186 Comments
FidoFaiza

Morning, @tmEvol Very happy to hear your wife got the banner as well Very_Happy Did you figure the situation with the audio yet? 

And @VIP2, you are right. @KAPABLE-K is indeed a prodigy. We learn from him everyday!

@KAPABLE-K You can finally start enjoying the update. Yay Very_Happy It was just a matter of time!

And we don't mind you guys testing things out (as long as you share your findings with the rest of us Wink

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

@VIP2 PM'd you, I'll test the WiFi also when you message me.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I love how RCS messages still send and receive over Wifi, even with cellular network turned off

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

@Anonymous it's a good feature, now i'm just waiting for Fido to support WiFi calling on my Nexus 6P and i'm set for all the spotty signal issue i've been having.

VIP2
I'm a visitor
I'm a visitor

@FidoFaiza

@KAPABLE-K, @Anonymous and I tested out these new features and have found them to be quite good. 

The one on one messaging has all the features mentioned such as, read receipts and typing indicators. 

We also tested out the group messaging and it works just as well. 

The only thing however is that the OP of this thread had said that files could be sent using the enhanced features, however we were not able to send any files. Files such as zips or pdf files. Media files such as pictures, stickers, audio, video and GIFs worked fine though. 

I believe that is all we have to share. If you or anyone has any questions, please let us know. Smiley 

Anonymous
Not applicable

As VIP2 stated, it works suprisingly well. Love the typing indicators, its one of the apple-specific features i miss on the android.

Thanks VIP2 and KAPABLE-K for testing the features out with me today

FidoAmanda
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey VIP2!

What happened when you tried to attach files like PDFs?

Let us know!

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

@FidoAmanda There is no option to select a file other than a media file. 

FidoKenny

@KAPABLE-K @VIP2

Is there any error message that shows up when you guys try to attach a zip file?

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

@FidoKenny Like I mention above there is no option to send a file only media files. If I use a file browser and locate a non media file like a zip or pdf and highlight it and use the share option there is no option to share via messenger from the different share selections.

Here is a screen shot of the chat box.

Chat boxChat box

Here is a screenshoot of the option when selecting the file directly from a file browser.

File browserFile browser

FidoKenny

@KAPABLE-K

I must have missed that, thank you for confirming Smiley

From what I know, zip files can't be sent through the Messenger App. 

I will double check  the info and get back to you guys as soon as I have an update Smiley 

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

@FidoKenny There is no documentation stating files can be sent through this messenger that I can find.

We are only bringing it to your attention because Fido stated that files can be sent.

Could be a mistake on Fido's end.

So, what’s changing exactly? Messenger for Android now has advanced features such as Typing Indicators, Deliver Receipts, Read Receipts, Group Messaging, and Photo/file/Location Sharing capabilities. Pretty cool eh?

FidoKenny

@KAPABLE-K

I will definitely address that to the team in charge.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

From my experiment yesterday,  if you turn off your mobile network connection (airplane mode on) and turn on your wifi and your connected to a wifi network,  you can send a message to another RCS enabled user just fine, but you can not send a message to someone who is using SMS, atleast not right now anyway.

So RCS to RCS works over Wifi, but RCS to SMS needs mobile network connection.  so its essentially the same as how iMessage works.  Perhaps the file transfer functionality is coming soon? I will keep my eyes peeled for an update.

Tangsta
I'm a visitor
I'm a visitor

Hi there, couple of questions...

I had the enhanced features banner come up on my messenger about a week ago and decided to skip it because I rarely use sms as opposed to hangouts and I didn't want any increased battery consumption. Lately, I've started using SMS again and I'm wondering if there's any way to bring the prompt/banner/setting back.  Have tried deleting cache and rebooting, but no success.

Secondly, does using RCS draw from my data bucket?

Thanks!

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

@Tangsta Go into your messenger settings then advance and see if the enhance features is there. BTW enabling the feature won't cause any battery drain if you are not using it.

Tangsta
I'm a visitor
I'm a visitor

@KAPABLE-K 

Thanks for the quick reply. That's the first place I looked, before I started jumping through hoops of deleting cache and reboots.

Good to know about the battery use.  Was concerned because it was giving warnings about having to turn off battery optimization for the app.

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

@Tangsta Clear the APP data also then reboot and try again.

Tangsta
I'm a visitor
I'm a visitor

@KAPABLE-K

That worked, thanks!

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

@Tangsta Cool!