cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FidoStephane

FIDO_Community_Banner-900x300-B.jpg

Hey Community!

The Android Messages app is getting an upgrade today!  This upgrade will allow for Rich Communication Services, which means an even more awesome texting experience.  Most Android models released after today will have the new Android Messages build in, however it will be available for download from the Play Store to all Android devices running 4.1 and 4.4 or higher. Note that the update is rolled out to devices in batches. You'll receive a notification to update it when it's available.

So, what’s changing exactly? Android Messages now has advanced features such as Typing Indicators, Deliver Receipts, Read Receipts, Group Messaging, and Photo/file/Location Sharing capabilities. Pretty cool eh?

Note: The advanced features only work from Messages to Messages, for now at least.

Check it out today! It’s pretty awesome.

Cheers!

-FidoStephane

186 Comments
FidoMaria
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hi @Popper!

It is indeed being pushed out in batches. Smiley

Popper
I'm a contributor level 1

@FidoMaria  Do you have any idea on when my device would be recieving this? This article was posted in December. I also know two other people that are with Fido and have not recieved this enhanced features banner either, one is on a Samsung galaxy S5 and the other is on a Huawei Nova Plus both with the latest version of google messenger.

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

@Popper if its being pushed out in batches as @FidoMaria stated then there is no way to tell when someone will get it, we just have to wait for it.

Popper

@KAPABLE-K  I understand what it means to be pushed out in batches. Im just trying to get a timeframe here because this original article about the rollout was posted about a two months ago. If I try to contact customer support they don't even know what RCS is so I thought I would try here to see if anyone knows about when each phone will recieve this feature or how Fido is even organizing the rollout process. Because from my understanding the RCS feature is available even on unlocked phones so the rollout must go by your phone number and or SIM card.

FidoCatherine
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey there @Popper

Thanks for testing that out! The update for the app itself is rolled out to devices in batches, indeed! We don't know in what order they'll be sent though. I'd simply suggest to keep an eye on your phone's OS Updates, as you'll receive a notification to update it when it's available Smiley

Popper

@FidoCatherine  Ok, but from reading the previous comments and looking on the internet the app is already updated and ready for RCS fido just has to send through the prompt to allow the phone to work with RCS on the network. I don't think there will be a required android OS update to enable this feature as its already enabled through the app, the rest of the process is on fido's end the user doesnt have to do anything else to enable this except go into advanced settings to enable enhanced features once the banner notification becomes available.

FidoClaudia
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @Popper,

An update of the Messenger App through Google Play might be necessary. 

Even with the latest version though, it doesn't necessarily mean that you'll get the RCS features right away. It's being pushed separately in batches, to users that have the latest version, so there might still be a delay.

Popper

@FidoClaudiaThanks for the response. I will just wait and hopefully by the end of February I will get the banner. I have looked at the Rogers site and the fourms, people have been getting banners for the enhanced features so im assuming they will have the rollout finished by the end of the month.

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

I just reflashed stock Android to my Nexus 6P and got the enhanced feature enabled. Tried it on my Galaxy S6 and still no enhanced feature so I cleared the messenger APP cache reboot and got the banner to enable the feature. 

You guys can try clearing the messenger APP cache and see if it works for you.

tmEvol
I'm a visitor
I'm a visitor

@FidoFaiza, As you know, both of my phones received the latest Google Messenger update (2.0.770) last Monday and I had received the banner on Wednesday. My wife's phone just received the banner this evening, although I have only tested one of the new features so far. We can see when the other person is typing...YAY, it works...Awesome!

I'll test out some of the other features soon....

Update: High resolution photo works. Video (14sec) did not work (says it sent - wife sees it, but can't play it). Can't figure out how to send an audio message yet...

VIP2
I'm a visitor
I'm a visitor

@KAPABLE-K just cleared the cache for Google messenger but still no banner as far as I see. I've got an unlocked galaxy note 3 running CyanogenMod so messenger is stock for me as well. I was thinking of reflashing/factory resetting just to fix battery issues, etc. But maybe that might also give me the banner, who knows. Will update on that if and when I do it though. 

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

@VIP2 did you do a reboot? It could be the custom ROM because as soon as I went back to stock it came.

VIP2
I'm a visitor
I'm a visitor

@KAPABLE-K oh haha my bad. Forgot the reboot. Will do a cache wipe and reboot now and post back. That could be true about the custom Rom as well though. The only reason I actually switched roms was because of a hardware glitch after I rooted it on the  stock TouchWiz rom. 

VIP2
I'm a visitor
I'm a visitor

Snapchat-1128186158.jpg

@KAPABLE-K you are truly a prodigy. I salute you. Cleared the cache for messenger, rebooted and went back in to find this beautiful sight. Everyone from this point on, I highly recommend trying out @KAPABLE-K's solution to clear the app cache for Google messenger and rebooting your device. 

UPDATE/QUESTION: I'm not too sure of the rules on this forum, but would there be anyone who you like to test out the enhanced features? I do not have anyone to test with at the moment. Let me know. Moderators, please let me know if it isn't allowed. 

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

@VIP2 Awesome! Glad it worked for you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

VIP2 that is awesome that you got it to work. I would be ok with testing it between a fellow community member on here as well, but possibly later in the day so be prepared for me to reach out to you later on.

Anonymous
Not applicable

KAPABLE-K, Thanks for the tip as well, much appreciated

tmEvol
I'm a visitor
I'm a visitor

@KAPABLE-K

Just cleared the cache and restarted my co-workers Huawei Honor 8 and he got the banner in a minute or two... Yay !! Very_Happy

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

@Anonymous, @VIP2 if you guys want to test the group chat PM me for number when you are ready.

VIP2
I'm a visitor
I'm a visitor

@KAPABLE-K @Anonymous I'm really ready at anytime, but obviously a time  that works for everyone is ideal. 

Also, the enhanced features work over WiFi as well as data, correct?