Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

additional wi-fi router?

terencetcm
I'm a participant level 2

hello,

I recently joined Fido internet service. I bought a wi-fi router during the Xmas holidays. It is ASUS (RT-AC5300) Tri-band wireless 4-port gigabit gaming router.  According to the tech who came to set up the Fido modem, he said that router is not compatible with Fido modem!  Since I have several low/weak signal spots at the back of my house, I would like to know if there is a way to get that router to work as a signal extender?

If not, which wi-fi extender is compatible with Fido modem (white tall box)?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Terence

4 REPLIES 4

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @terencetcm,

Welcome to the community!

I'm not sure why the tech told you your modem is not compatible, you can definitely use it just remember you will not receive 24/7 support for that router though. this post here will help you set it up.

terencetcm

Hi KAPABLE-K,

After I changed the Residential Gateway function box from Enabled to Disabled. It worked for 30 minutes, then the internet signal was dropped.  I had to reset the Fido modem to factory setting and reset my wi-fi for Fido modem.  Not sure what caused the drop signal.  Any other setting it might work for this router?  ASUS (RT-AC5300) Tri-band wireless

Thanks,

Terence

Hey @terencetcm the internet signal as in the WiFi or you had no internet at all? Maybe you just needed to reboot the modem there is no reason your Asus router would not work.

Did you have any luck getting it working again?

terencetcm

Thank you KAPABLE-K. I followed your instructions, it works perfectly and very strong signal everywhere in the house.  I thought I will have to give up that router, but you are teaching me don't believe only one tech said....LOL

Thanks again.

Terence