Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thread for reporting SMS spam

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello,

I have been forwarding my spam email-to-SMS to @FidoStephen via PMs to help improve the spam filter for sms.fido.ca

Recently, another community member also posted a similar spam SMS they received. Perhaps a thread dedicated to collecting examples of these types of SMS spam might also help improve the spam filter.

Thoughts?

Cheers

562 REPLIES 562

Dmbears
I'm a participant level 1

This is a text scam?This is a text scam?

Hey there Dmbears!  

First of all, congrats on your first post and welcome to the community!  

Now, as for the text message, it is definitely a scam! I would advise you to forward the body of the message to 7726 (SPAM) to have them investigate the sender! It goes a long way into the fight against scams. For more information about potential scams, don't hesitate to read our library article about it right here!   Have a great evening and stay awesome

Hnysweet

Screenshot_20190214-200254.jpg

Hello Hnysweet,

Welcome to the community!

Thanks for the information! You're right, that message is most definitely SPAM. The providers are doing all that they can to prevent SPAM SMS. You can help by forwarding these messages to 7726 (SPAM) (see here). Once audited, it will be used to augment the SPAM filter. Unfortunately, as fast as these messages get blocked by the SPAM filter, the spammers/scammers find new ways to bypass the filter.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

jawbone

I got an SMS message with "sync-fido.online" in it - I typed it in instead of clicking and it took me to a very legit looking Fido page about being overcharged and that I would soon be directed to the next page to claim my refund - I backed out of it and came here
Anyone else get this one??

Hello Jawbone,

That message would most definitely be SPAM. As FidoCharles suggested, you could forward the message to 7726 (SPAM) for auditing.

Yes, the spammers/scammers are getting quite good a making things appear legitimate, which is why we need to stay vigilant. A couple of tell-tale signs the the message is SPAM. Firstly, Fido won't reimburse an overcharge via email or text message. If you are indeed overcharged, Fido will simply credit your account.

In addition, Fido's domain is Fido.ca, not Fido.online. Also, I'm guessing the SMS came from an actual 10 digit phone number. If Fido does send legitimate SMS, it will come from one of their short codes, not a phone number. Admittedly, since spoofing is so wide-spread, it's possible the spammers/scammers could eventually learn to spoof those codes as well.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Loe

From mobile # 250-457-3188

Fido Inc:You have received a Mobile etransfer
Click this link:http://indictranslation.com/ To Deposit your transfer

Hello Loe,

Thanks for the information! You're right, that message is most definitely SPAM. The providers are doing all that they can to prevent SPAM SMS. You can help by forwarding these messages to 7726 (SPAM) (see here). Once audited, it will be used to augment the SPAM filter. Unfortunately, as fast as these messages get blocked by the SPAM filter, the spammers/scammers find new ways to bypass the filter.

A couple of tell-tale signs the the message is SPAM. Firstly, Fido won't send etransfers via email or text message link. If you are indeed overcharged, Fido will simply credit your account.

In addition, if Fido does send legitimate SMS, it will come from one of their short codes, not a phone number. Admittedly, since spoofing is so wide-spread, it's possible the spammers/scammers could eventually learn to spoof those codes as well.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Hey @jawbone

Thanks for bringing this up

It doesn't sound like one of our SMS. I would suggest referring to the Accepted Solution for this Smiley

Jmar0182

Hey, 

C65D1E8F-0E30-405C-BC99-1B968A05FC1C.png

i got a text that reads:

You received a refund from Fido due to an overcharge on account linked to phone number (my #here).
Deposit your funds

519-969-7042

Now I know this isn’t true. I checked out the phone number online and it’s from an animal hospital. Not sure what’s going on but I sent it to spam.  

Hey @Jmar0182

Welcome to the community Smiley 

Thank you for sharing the screenshot, 

It is possible that the number was used as spoofing. 

You can get more information regarding spoofing here

Origamiman

This was the SMS Message.This was the SMS Message.This is where it takes you.This is where it takes you.Got this text and thought it looked susoicious.

I searched the phone number and got a return indicating it was from Rogers/Fido from a store in Joliette Quebec. Having recently upgraded my phone with Fido I thought maybe it was a refund or something of that nature. So I went ahead and clicked it and got this second pic above to select my bank to make the deposit in. I entered my cardnumber and proceded to log into my account. I then quickly noticed that this site was not securred with encryption. The response page I got after that was a server error. I quickly used another device to login to my Bank and changed my Password. I then called the number itwas sent to me from and I got an automated response that this number wasn't in service yet. 1-450-750-0437 Is the number. I also then forwarded this text to the 7726 (SPAM) reporting service. 

Attention to detail is important. The "s" was missing from the http:// so it's not secure! Call the number it was sent from and see if it's actually in service first. This one wasn't.

Sincerely Ken

Thanks for sharing your experience @Origamiman

Glad to learn you were able to protect your account in time!

Wayneroc

I’ve tried to forward the spam message to 7726, but never got it delivered. I don’t know why. Maybe someone can help.

here is the snapshotE045038A-9F86-4ACD-87B6-7E13D5DBB80C.jpeg

The number is 647-327-4684

patrickchan
I'm experienced level 1
I'm experienced level 1

never reply to spam, always delete, when in questions call fido as ask.

qzhan054

Hi,

I just received a SMS message from a unknown number, and I have forwarded this one to SPAM, now I upload this to the thread to let more people aware of it.

Screenshot_2018-12-30-12-32-45-614_com.android.mms.png

Oongchangco

Screenshot_20181223-010701.png

Just got a text which I assume is a Spam so I already reported it to 7726😃

That's definitely spam @Oongchangco!

I've moved your post here as this thread deals with all spam texts Smiley

mnawaz
I'm a contributor level 1
I'm a contributor level 1

Received the following message from this number. +1 (778) 536-4597

Notice From Fido:Fido has sent you Fido Dollars
To gain access to your Funds,Click the following link
http://accesgfi.com/
Deposit your Money (51.59$)

Nush_anb

Hello , I recieved the following text and I suspect it to be a scam. Kindly advise.

"Fido Mobile: We have sent you a bonus transfer! Visit fabolid.com/ to deposit your money. You have received a total of (62.75$)"

Hey @Nush_anb! Welcome to the community. Smiley

I've moved your post here, as it will have the answers that you're seeking. If you have any further questions about this, let us all know here.