Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fido Roam

wickie
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1

Dear Fido Community,

Please take me off your notifications. When recently traveling I received the Fido Roam text message. I then followed all the community suggestions .. no phone calls, no texts. I closed all apps. I put my phone on airplane mode.

I didn’t even look at emails. However, when I returned home I found a big, whopping phone bill. I then spent three days trying to speak to someone. It was all a waste of time ... since, with Fido/Rogers it is really all about the money. The customer’s needs do not really matter!

4 REPLIES 4

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Wickie,

I replied to your other post here.

You should note that disabling notifications does not prevent Fido Roam. The message you received when you arrived in Mexico did not activate Fido Roam. It merely provided notification that your phone connected to a foreign network. It's usage (making/receiving calls, sending messages, and using data) which incurs the Fido Roam charge. You should note that while receiving SMS does not initiate a Fido Roam session, data within a MMS would be considered roaming data and would trigger the charge.

Fido Roam is automatically enabled on the plans. If you do not wish to use Fido Roam you would need to contact customer service to opt-out. You should note that opting-out of Fido Roam means that your services would be on a pay-per-use basis. Should you wish to prevent roaming altogether, you would need to request a roaming block on your plan.

Having Airplane or Flight mode enabled should have prevented your phone from connecting to the networks.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Hynes
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

Hi, When I contacted Customer Service I was told I cannot disable roaming and I have to pay $14 per day. I cannot put my phone off since Im expecting potential interview calls. However, I have disabled data roaming. Will this suffice to 'not' be part of the atrocious $14 day per day charges just for connecting to a tower?

Frustrated,

Hynes

FidoPierre
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @Hynes

I am sorry to see there was any confusion about this, however you can disable the Fido Roam feature. If you would like to do this and switch to the Pay-Per-Use Rates for your usage while roaming, you can contact us to have this done.

The $14 per day is only applicable if you use the service while abroad. 

These are the causes that would trigger Roaming fees:

• Data usage
  • Sending or replying to text messages
  • Receiving or making calls
  • Checking voicemail

By disabling your data roaming, it helps prevent accidental data roaming charges. However, you will still be charged for all for any usage you do while abroad.  You can read more about the differences between Fido Roam and Pay-Per-Use roaming here

FidoRanya
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @wickie

Thanks for sharing your experience with us, that's not how we want you to feel! Traveling should be a  fun experience and we only want to make it better.

That's why we offer Fido Roam with our plans, that way you get to use your services while abroad. Find out more here

If you don't want to use Fido Roam, you can unenroll by contacting customer service, in that case you'll be charged pay per use if there's any usage. Keep in mind this can go up rather quickly and Fido Roam is the best option when roaming. 

If you don't want to incur any charges, you can always remove your SIM card from your phone and store it somewhere safe. 

As for the notifications you mentioned? What are you referring to exactly so we can help? 

Let us know!