where is the LOYALTY??!!

I'm a Contributor Level 2 sal_67
I'm a Contributor Level 2

where is the LOYALTY??!!

i have a BYOP loyalty plan from fido. it's relatively "cheap" compared to the plans we get from the big 3 corporations on a monthly basis.

now my phone is messed up and i need a new one. so i talked to a fido representative and he told me that i have to give up my loyalty plan in order to get a new phone...WAIT! WHAT!! give up my "cheap" plan for a way more expensive smart/pulse/max plan that gives me a lot less in return?!! REALLY?! is this how you treat customers who stood by you guys for more than 15 years?????

i really don't wanna leave fido as this has been my first and only cell service provider(see, i'm LOYAL!). but there is no way i'm getting a new phone from you guys under those very ridiculous conditions. and i seriously pity the fools that do.

Accepted Solution

Re: where is the LOYALTY??!!

Hey Sal_67,

sorry you feel this way about the situation. Sad The BYOP ( bring your own phone ) plans are only available if you're no longer on agreement. If you want to keep your current plan, you will need to get the phone full price. There's no way around that unfortunately.

I'll send you PM so we can check out your best options.

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 7
Former Moderator FidoTerry
Former Moderator
Solution

Hey Sal_67,

sorry you feel this way about the situation. Sad The BYOP ( bring your own phone ) plans are only available if you're no longer on agreement. If you want to keep your current plan, you will need to get the phone full price. There's no way around that unfortunately.

I'll send you PM so we can check out your best options.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 7
MVP
MVP

@sal_67 wrote:

i really don't wanna leave fido as this has been my first and only cell service provider(see, i'm LOYAL!). but there is no way i'm getting a new phone from you guys under those very ridiculous conditions.

Hello Sal_67,

I'm not sure what exactly is so ridiculous. You said yourself that you have a Bring Your Own Phone plan. Those plans do not have any subsidy for phones. As @FidoTerry mentioned, you are more than welcome to purchase a phone outright and continue to use your 'cheap' plan. However, it sounds like you would like to subsidise a new phone on a plan without subsidy. That means unless you pay full price for your phone upfront, someone else will have to pay the rest of it off for you. Does that sound reasonable?

It's not just Fido. No business will let you subsidise a product and let you get away with not having any payments on it. Next time you try to lease a car, tell them you'll do away with the monthly payments and only pay for regular servicing...

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 7

actually, it is ridiculous. the subsidy plans are so not worth it. you get so little for way too much.

let's look at it this way. 4k streaming takes 40 to 50 GB per hour. so that is about 0.7 GB per MINUTE of 4k! even 4k photos are ridiculously huge.

so with 4k compatible phones already coming out, streaming without wifi will be an ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE for us all! if you wanna stream even 5 minutes of 4k, you'll need 5 GBs.

not everyone has $100.00/m to pay just for phone bills.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 7
MVP
MVP

@sal_67 wrote:

let's look at it this way. 4k streaming takes 40 to 50 GB per hour. so that is about 0.7 GB per MINUTE of 4k! even 4k photos are ridiculously huge.

so with 4k compatible phones already coming out, streaming without wifi will be an ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE for us all! if you wanna stream even 5 minutes of 4k, you'll need 5 GBs.

Hello,

Unfortunately I think you'll be hard pressed finding any mobile company where streaming 4K will be feasible. Even with unlimited plans, after approximately 8 minutes of streaming 4K, your data will be throttled.

Good luck with that.

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 7
Highlighted

at least theirs is unlimited and you can still use the network to surf and/or use instant messaging programs once they throttle the speeds.

the last time fido had unlimited data plans was what, 12 years ago? and they quickly took the offer off the table.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 7
I'm a Contributor Level 2 unhappywithfido

exactly I agree every time the big phone guys fight for customers they  try hard to offer you something good only to try  harder to take it away to get more cash but it doesn't matter now with all of them reallizing that there are enough customers to go around so they can now price fix and all charge the same which by the way is illegal but I guess money talks and screw the little guy

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 7