what happens if you go over data limits?

SOLVED
Fido_User_0090
I'm a Contributor Level 1

So I have 500mb of data,

And apparently I have used 510MB this month. 

How much Is this going to cost me?

I thought Fido was suppose to send a waring text? 

I thought Fido was suppose to cut it off at the limit? 

How did this happen? 

Accepted Solution

Re: what happens if you go over data limits?

Solved by Former Moderator FidoRachel

Hey, @zyx is right, the rate varies depending on your plan.

Even if you exceed what's included in your plan, you'll continue being billed for data. You'll indeed receive a notification when you reach $50 of over usage.

I'll send you a PM @Fido_User_0090 to see what your over usage rate is.

View solution in context
8 REPLIES 8
shaylin
I'm a Participant Level 2

i accidently deleted this text how can I continue to use my data im stuck and need access to my data?

Hey @shaylin,

I'm sending you a PM to check this out!

Talk soon. Smiley

zyx
I'm Qualified Level 2
I'm Qualified Level 2

How much is this going to cost me? $5 or $10, depending on your plan.

I thought Fido was supposed to send a warning text? No, although I hear they're supposed to send you one when you reach $50 overcharge. I've never made it anywhere close, so I can't say for sure.

I thought Fido was supposed to cut it off at the limit? Again, no, although my understanding is that they cut you off when you reach the aforementionned $50 overcharge, and you have to reply to a text message they send you. Again, never came close, so...

It's up to you to check that you remain within your limit. Android phones can be set to warn and then cut off, unless you manually re-enable. I haven't had an iPhone in over 3 years so I can't tell if they have anything similar - they didn't back then on my iPhone 3GS.

Fido_User_0090
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Fido is supposed to send you a waring text when you are at 80%( 400mb) 

I have recieved this text in previous months, 

My Android is very inaccurate at keeping tabs... 

Example my Android was at 600mb used, My Fido App was at 400mb. Yet really It was at 510MB. I figured I was close to 400mb but Fido never sent me the warning text. 

So I can't trust my Android, nor Fido. 

Hi Fido_User_0090,

In reply to your post, your phone should accurately keep track of your data usage. It is a very reliable source, and as

zyx said, the difference should be minimal between what your phone displays, and if you check your data usage with the Fido My Account app or on fido.ca.

Make sure to set your billing cycle correctly, so that your phone keeps track of your data usage for the appropriate period. It is a good idea to set a reminder for yourself, and set a limit so that your phone will automatically turn off your data when you reach your limit, so you won't have to worry about going over your data and getting charged for overage!

zyx
I'm Qualified Level 2
I'm Qualified Level 2

I have been a few MB short of my limit multiple times in the past. I never got a text from Fido about it. It's also the first time I hear about a warning at 80%.

Which phone do you have? I've had a Galaxy Nexus, a Nexus 4, and a Nexus 5. They were all pretty good at keeping track of my data, overshooting just a little bit (like saying I'm at 248MB when Fido says 242MB), probably because it calculates SMS and MMS, while Fido doesn't - at least that's my guess. Do you send/receive a lot of SMS/MMS?

I don't have the My Fido app (no need for it), but I assume, like the Fido web site, that there is a delay in reporting the usage.

If I were in your situation, I'd consider the following:

• Put my Android limit at 500MB, with a warning at 400MB. Once I reach the warning, check with the Fido web site periodically and increase my limit in small amounts. Reset it back to 500 at each cycle start.
  • Consider moving up to another plan with more data, depending on what's less expensive: current plan + the $5 or $10 overcharge, or the new plan with more data.

If paying extra from time to time (or a plan with more data) is not an option, then set your limit to 500MB and accept that you can't really use all that 500MB.

FidoSamantha
Former Moderator

Hey guys!

Just to clarify, the data text notifications are sent when you reach 90%, and 100% of your data limit. After that, the next notification is sent when you reach $50 of data overage charges and data is blocked. You can keep it blocked until your billing cycle starts over or you can reply to the text message and unblock it to keep using data at your regular data overage rate. 

Keep in mind that the data tracker is not compatible with all plans.

FidoRachel
Former Moderator

Hey, @zyx is right, the rate varies depending on your plan.

Even if you exceed what's included in your plan, you'll continue being billed for data. You'll indeed receive a notification when you reach $50 of over usage.

I'll send you a PM @Fido_User_0090 to see what your over usage rate is.