voice mail costing 80 cent/ using airtime?

SOLVED
KevinRBurke
I'm a Participant Level 3

why is it costing me minutes while retrieving my voice mail ? I dial 1 and then put in my security pin and i just looked at my bill and I am getting charged 80 cents per minute while retrieving my voice mai

Accepted Solution

Re: voice mail

Solved by Senior MVP Senior MVP

@KevinRBurke wrote:

why is it costing me minutes while retrieving my voice mail ? I dial 1 and then put in my security pin and i just looked at my bill and I am getting charged 80 cents per minute while retrieving my voice mail

Hello KevinRBurke,

Retrieving voicemail is charged airtime for both pre-paid and post-paid users.

Voicemail - prepaid.jpg

Screen capture taken from here.

Assuming you have the 40¢ Anytime plan, it sounds like you're also getting charged long-distance (40¢/min) for accessing your voicemail. **edit** There shouldn't be any long-distance charges for the service provided you're in your local calling area. Are you in your local calling area?**

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
4 REPLIES 4
Cawtau
Senior MVP

@KevinRBurke wrote:

why is it costing me minutes while retrieving my voice mail ? I dial 1 and then put in my security pin and i just looked at my bill and I am getting charged 80 cents per minute while retrieving my voice mail

Hello KevinRBurke,

Retrieving voicemail is charged airtime for both pre-paid and post-paid users.

Voicemail - prepaid.jpg

Screen capture taken from here.

Assuming you have the 40¢ Anytime plan, it sounds like you're also getting charged long-distance (40¢/min) for accessing your voicemail. **edit** There shouldn't be any long-distance charges for the service provided you're in your local calling area. Are you in your local calling area?**

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

KevinRBurke
I'm a Participant Level 3

Yes to answer your question I use my phone for only emergencies and it always stays in my local calling area, I am in a 519 area code and when i dial 1 it sends me to a 416 area code phone number which is long distance..I am using a blackberry curve..You would think if i hit the 1 button on my phone it would direct me to the voice messaging service in my own calling area but it doesn't..So i guess i'll have to retrieve my messages from my landline from now on

@KevinRBurke wrote:

Yes to answer your question I use my phone for only emergencies and it always stays in my local calling area, I am in a 519 area code and when i dial 1 it sends me to a 416 area code phone number which is long distance..I am using a blackberry curve..You would think if i hit the 1 button on my phone it would direct me to the voice messaging service in my own calling area but it doesn't..So i guess i'll have to retrieve my messages from my landline from now on

Hello again,

There is only one voice messaging retrieval number for android (+1-416-821-6549) regardless of where you live.

Note: There are no long distance charges for calling this number on the Fido network while you are in your Local Calling Area (LCA), even if the number is from a different province. ~ taken from same posted page above.

You might consider sending a moderator a PM or contacting Fido via Twitter/Facebook or contacting customer service to verify your local calling area. Not all of 519 is considered local to each other.

You should also note that checking your messages from a landline will still incur airtime charges.

**edit** Something else to consider... If you have the 40¢ Anytime plan, does it include voicemail? There is pre-paid voicemail as pay-per-use. It says same rate as your airtime plan. But does that mean it only costs airtime? Or the same rate plus airtime? If the latter is true, then calling from a landline would still incur the 80¢**

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Hey there,

I just wanted to update this older thread to let everyone know that the info concerning the charges applicable when listening to your voice messages for prepaid is now found here on our website Smiley