using other countries' sim card while travelling

Service interruption

An update for our valued customers: We know you depend on us and on April 19, we let you down - for this we are truly sorry. You won’t be charged for your wireless services that were impacted on Monday, April 19. A credit equivalent to that day's wireless service fee will be applied to your May bill. This will be done automatically & no action is required by you.

Click here to read more

SOLVED
TalDish
I'm a Participant Level 2

Hi there,

I'm currently with Fido plan, just renew my 2-year contract with a new phone this month.

Because of the law banning locking of the phone, my understanding is that phone shoudn't be locked to any network.

Anyway, I'm going abroad for the whole month of December. I'm wondering if I'd be able to switch to the sim card purchased in that country while i'm there, even though i'm still under the 2 year-contract with Fido? i understand that i'll still get charged monthly bill regardless of usage or not. I just want to be able to use the phone while i'm abroad and then when i come back, i'll just put Fido sim card back on.

Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Re: using other countries' sim card while travelling

Solved by Senior MVP Senior MVP

Hello TalDish,

Welcome to the community!

You are correct. New phones should not be locked to any provider anymore. However, some older stock devices might still automatically lock upon SIM insertion. If this happened, you could request the unlock code with no additional fee. Depending on your choice of device, it may or may not be an issue. To verify your device is unlocked, you might consider testing a SIM from a different provider in the device before your trip.

Yes, if your phone is unlocked, you should be able to switch SIMs when travelling while you are still under contract. As you note, you will still be charged monthly, with or without the SIM in the device.

Have you verified that your device is compatible with the local networks at your travel destination(s)?

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
2 REPLIES 2
TalDish
I'm a Participant Level 2

I tried switching to different network's sim already. It works!

Thank you Smiley

Cawtau
Senior MVP

Hello TalDish,

Welcome to the community!

You are correct. New phones should not be locked to any provider anymore. However, some older stock devices might still automatically lock upon SIM insertion. If this happened, you could request the unlock code with no additional fee. Depending on your choice of device, it may or may not be an issue. To verify your device is unlocked, you might consider testing a SIM from a different provider in the device before your trip.

Yes, if your phone is unlocked, you should be able to switch SIMs when travelling while you are still under contract. As you note, you will still be charged monthly, with or without the SIM in the device.

Have you verified that your device is compatible with the local networks at your travel destination(s)?

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers