using data day pass with old iPhone 3G on prepaid

I'm an Expert Level 2
I'm an Expert Level 2

using data day pass with old iPhone 3G on prepaid

I have an old iPhone 3G that I have passed onto my wife, which she wants to use mainly as an emergency phone. She has decided we will leave her on prepaid. My question is about the Data day pass (and week pass) options. I see a few distinct options, but am not sure if they all apply equally to the iPhone.

Option #1:
BROWSE-BY-THE-DAY (from prepaid options page on fido.ca)

A Data Day Pass is perfect if you just want to try the mobile Internet or if you only browse once in a while. The Day Pass replaces the previous pay per KB of data option that you may have used in the past and will provide you with more cost certainty.
-Data Day Pass for mobile phones – Get unlimited mobile browsing and application use for any 24-hour period for only $1

Option #2:
Unlimited Mobile Browsing (from Data add-ons page on Fido.ca)

Enjoy the full mobile browsing experience including one-click access to popular sites such as GoogleTM, Yahoo!®, Windows LiveTM, FacebookTM and more. Use of data applications (i.e. Gmail, GoogleMaps) is also covered with these add-ons.

-Data Day Pass ( for mobile phones) $1 for any 24-hour period

Option #3:

Data Day Pass (from Data add-ons page on Fido.ca)
If you have a BlackBerry device, Data Passes can be used for on-device browsing only. If you have any other smartphone (i.e. iPhone) Data Passes can be used for email, IM, on-device browsing and application use.To purchase to a Data Pass,just launch your internet browser and you’ll be asked to purchase a Pass anytime you try to use data services. You will receive an SMS and/or be redirected to purchase page before you can continue using data services.Data transmission charges of 3¢/KB apply when roaming.

-Data Day Pass $2 for 20MB for any 24-hour period

My questions are:
1) Which of these may be used with an iPhone that is using prepaid?

2) Can option #1 be used with iPhones?

3) Can option #2 be used with prepaid? With iPhones?
4) If options #1 or #2 can be used with on iPhone on prepaid, is it unlimited?

5) Can option #3 be used with prepaid
6) If these options are compatible prepaid and iPhones, can they be added over the phone with customer support or do they have to be activated on the iPhone browser? There may be times I want to activate data for her when I do not have the phone.

Thank you

Accepted Solution

Re: using data day pass with old iPhone 3G on prepaid

1) Option #3
2) No, non-smartphone Fido Branded only.
3) No, non-smartphone Fido branded only on monthly lines
4) Both can't be used for an iPhone.
5) Yes
6) You should be able to activate it over the browser... your phone should prompt you to add one. If you experience any difficulties with that, you can contact Customer Service and they can apply the option.

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 4
I'm a Contributor Level 1 Lagawatig
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Option 3 is the only option for an iPhone, the other options are for dumb phones. But I'm not sure about activating it, but it looks like you get a web page or text confirming you want to buy the pass when ever you try to access a data service or your pass expires.
Hopefully an admin can confirm that;)
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 4
Highlighted
I'm a Contributor Level 1 Rune
I'm a Contributor Level 1
Solution

1) Option #3
2) No, non-smartphone Fido Branded only.
3) No, non-smartphone Fido branded only on monthly lines
4) Both can't be used for an iPhone.
5) Yes
6) You should be able to activate it over the browser... your phone should prompt you to add one. If you experience any difficulties with that, you can contact Customer Service and they can apply the option.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 4
I'm Helpful Level 1
I'm Helpful Level 1

@ Rune A prepaid CSR can't add a Data Day Pass or Data Weekly Pass on a prepaid line. It must be activated from phone web browser.

I am a Fido employee, but my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Fido or its affiliates. Je suis un(e) employé(e) de Fido mais mes commentaires sont les miens et ne reflètent pas nécessairement le point de vue.
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 4