using Talk, Text & Data in the UK

SOLVED
james6161
I'm a Participant Level 3

Heading to the Uk. using the one time fee $95 plan

Just wondering when I'm overthere and someone there calls or text's me, do the just dial my number or do they have to add any numbers?

For example suppose my number in Canada is 905-XXX-XXXX. What would they dial?

Also will this cost them any extra to call or text me?

Accepted Solution

Re: using Talk, Text & Data in the UK

Solved by Moderator

Hey @james6161,

Welcome to our Community Smiley

I would just need one small clarification: those that would text or call you have a U.K. number, correct?

If that's the case, they would need to add " + 1 " in front of your number. So they would need to dial +1-905-XXX-XXXX.

Charges may apply on their side if their own plan doesn't come with with any international long distance minutes or include international text messages, since they would be reaching a Canadian number which is considered international for them. They would need to look into that with their own service provider.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have questions about it Smiley

View solution in context
6 REPLIES 6
FidoClaudia

Hey @james6161,

Welcome to our Community Smiley

I would just need one small clarification: those that would text or call you have a U.K. number, correct?

If that's the case, they would need to add " + 1 " in front of your number. So they would need to dial +1-905-XXX-XXXX.

Charges may apply on their side if their own plan doesn't come with with any international long distance minutes or include international text messages, since they would be reaching a Canadian number which is considered international for them. They would need to look into that with their own service provider.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have questions about it Smiley

james6161

Oh okay. I thought my friends over in the uk would be able to text and call me, as though I was local over there.

So am I right to presume I can call and text back to canada as though I was still here in canada?

maybe you can help with another question too.

I'm still in Canada yet and when I try to text 3330 to check my usage it says...

Your account type is not eligible for on demand data roaming usage.

The fido agent said I could text "usage" to 3330 to see how much of my plan I had used.

To call/text back to Canada while roaming, you will need to dial the number  in the same fashion mentioned above, as "+" [plus sign] followed by "1", then area code and 7-digit phone number. This is because your call/text will need to exit  the country that you are in in order to reach your contact in Canada. The plus sign is the country exit code.

For checking your roaming usage using the short code 3330, this would only be applicable if you do go over the data bucket allotted while you are roaming. You can text  USAGE to 3330 at any time for free to track your data overage charges.

james6161

Hi thanks.

Hope I'm not being a pest. Anyway...

so, thats good to know. I'll dial +1 905-***-**** to call or text to canada from the uk.

I imagine in the UK ,I'd just dial the local number. Just wondering though. If I call back to Canada is that included in the plan, also when I make local calls in the UK is that also included in the 200 minute plan I have? I was a bit confused what Claudia said earlier that people in the UK calling me, may have to pay long distance to my canadian number.

thanks for your input

Hello James6161,

Welcome to the community!

Your number is a Canadian number. When you roam using Fido, your number is still a Canadian number. So if people in your 905 area code call your number when you're roaming, it's still a local number for them. On the other hand, since your number doesn't change when you roam, people in UK will still be calling a Canadian number when you're visiting the UK -- even though your phone may physically be in the UK. They will just call your number as if you were in Canada. It would still be a considered long-distance call for them.

All calls made and received would go against the 200 minutes in the plan. The Travel Pack plan minutes includes long-distance. So calls back to Canada and within the UK are included as a part of the 200 minutes.

Hope this helps clarify Smiley

Cheers

james6161

Yep, that was very clear.

Many thanks.