upgrading my phone

upgrading my phone

upgrading my phone

SOLVED
iamhhaanniiee
I'm a Participant Level 1

upgrading my phone

my current phone has some problems, would i be able to upgrade it to the iphone6s? but i still have a year remaining in my contact. any idea how much would it cost me?

Accepted Solution

Re: upgrading my phone

Solved by Former Moderator FidoAlyson

Hey @iamhhaanniiee !

Welcome to the Community! 

If you want to upgrade before the end of your agreement, you'll need to buy out the balance on your phone.

The cost of the new phone will depend on your plan and if you have any FidoDOLLARS!

You can see the balance remaining on your current phone when logged in to My Account at the bottom of the page under the tab Services.

If you are still within the manufacturer's warranty, you can send your phone out for repair instead.

I'll go ahead and send you a private message so we can check it out.

Next time  you have questions related to your account, you can reach out to us on Facebook or Twitter

Talk to you soon!

View solution in context
3 REPLIES 3
zyx
I'm Qualified Level 2
I'm Qualified Level 2

If you're not dead set on a 6s would be to simply purchase a new iPhone at full price and just keep on going with your current contract, just switching the SIM to the new phone.

So based on quick calculation, the Max plan gave you a $505 subsidy on your current phone. Halfway through your contract, that means that you'll have to pay about $250 to renew the contract. Add the (subsidized) price of the 6s ($400), and that means you'll have to spend $650 to get a new phone with an new expensive 2-year Max plan.

If a 5s would be enough, the full price is $634, so just a few dollars less, but in a year, your contract will be over, you will have a 1-year old phone, and you can switch to the low cost BYOD plan (especially if you don't need all the data of the Max plan). A single year in monthly cost savings just from the plan is a lot of money.

Maybe that doesn't work for you, but I'm just putting it there as an option.

zyx
I'm Qualified Level 2
I'm Qualified Level 2

Hmmm, something was lost in my previous post. It should read: "If you're not dead set on a 6s, another option would be..."

FidoAlyson
Former Moderator

Hey @iamhhaanniiee !

Welcome to the Community! 

If you want to upgrade before the end of your agreement, you'll need to buy out the balance on your phone.

The cost of the new phone will depend on your plan and if you have any FidoDOLLARS!

You can see the balance remaining on your current phone when logged in to My Account at the bottom of the page under the tab Services.

If you are still within the manufacturer's warranty, you can send your phone out for repair instead.

I'll go ahead and send you a private message so we can check it out.

Next time  you have questions related to your account, you can reach out to us on Facebook or Twitter

Talk to you soon!