upgrade my phone but keep my plan (sighn another 2 year contract)

SOLVED
noobwitagun
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Hello,

ive got a older smart plan that says its also a pulse 10 plan. I go to sighn a new contract and upgrade to a samsung galaxy s5 neo. The only option i get is to buy the phone outright or get a new plan, why can't I keep my plan and sighn for 2 years and pay the pulse 10 plan rate of $120?

** Edited to add labels ** 

Accepted Solution

Re: upgrade my phone but keep my plan (sighn another 2 year contract)

Solved by Moderator

Hey @noobwitagun,

I just checked and the phone should be available at $120+tax on a Plus10 plan in your province.

I'll send you a PM shortly to check out the details of your account and help you with the upgrade!

Talk to you soon Smiley

View solution in context
17 REPLIES 17
FidoRanya
Former Moderator

Hey @noobwitagun,

If you have an older smart plan, it should now qualify as a Plus 10 plan. Keep in mind that it's subject to change at anytime.

Are you trying to upgrade directly on fido.ca ? If so, did you test out another browser? 

Let us know Smiley

noobwitagun

Tryed a different browser still the same no option to sighn a contract again just no term. It wants me to pay $550 for a samsung galaxy s5 neo.... when I click on keep my existing plan it says it's a plus 10 plan, but like I say won't let me on a contract and apply the discount to the phone.

If I have to change my plan there is better incentives and plans when I switch to another company. The only reason to stay with fido is because of my current plan Sad

Hey @noobwitagun, thanks for the reply Smiley

I checked the prices on my end, and you should be able to get a subsidy on the Neo in most provinces.

The only place where the subsidy is not offered on a Plus10 plan is Quebec.

Where are you located now?

noobwitagun

I am in British columbia canada, I think fido doesnt want me to keep this smart plan (thats what it was called when i sighed up for my plan)

my current plan is a $56 smart plan with 2 gigs of data unlimited canada wide with visual voicemail and $10 for a extra gig

nick67
I'm Qualified Level 3

Hello @noobwitagun,

I can confirm the Samsung Galaxy G5 Neo 16GB is $120 on a 2-year Plus10 agreement. My grandfathered Smart plan is also considered Plus10 so I verified through Fido.ca My Account. However, I do see where the confusion is because it says "$550 with a 2-year agreement on a Plus15 plan" and next to it "No term: $550" on the Upgrade Your Device page.

Steps to upgrading while keeping your existing plan:

1. Log into your Fido My Account https://www.fido.ca/web/page/portal/Fido/Ecare_Standalone
  2. Go to the Mobile section then scroll down to My Device and click on "Upgrade My Device"
  3. Find the Samsung Neo in the phone list (doesn't matter which memory size or colour you choose...can be changed on the next screen) and click UPGRADE
  4. Now you should see the page in the screenshot below. Make sure to click the "Keep Existing Plan" option.

Fido Samsung Neo - Existing Plan.jpg

noobwitagun

That's my problem I click keep existing plan and no option to go on a tab... no way to slide the slider over to the left just wants me to buy the phone outright

Alex_DC
I'm Helpful Level 1

@noobwitagun wrote:

That's my problem I click keep existing plan and no option to go on a tab... no way to slide the slider over to the left just wants me to buy the phone outright

To ensure you don't lose your existing grandfathered plan (there's no way I'm giving up mine!), I suggest calling 611 from your phone and have a CSR do the upgrade for you. You can just have them put a note on your account regarding the upgrade, then pick-up the phone at a store. This is what I usually do and have never had a problem.

I also suggest picking up the phone from Costco Mobile if you have a Costco membership. They always have promotions (especially with older models) where they give you gift cards for new activations or renewals, and you always get a free car charger. Check out the Costco Mobility website and select "Phones" from the drop down menu at the top right, then select "Fido", "Samsung" and "View All Offers" next to the S5 Neo.

nick67
I'm Qualified Level 3

Question for @FidoRanya or @FidoKenny,

Regarding going to third party dealers, such as Best Buy, Walmart or as mentioned Costco, do these retailers have the "power" to upgrade a new device while still allowing me to keep my existing grandfathered plan? I swear the Walmart rep told me I would have to choose a new "in-market" plan to perform the upgrade at Walmart. Is this claim true...do I have to deal with Fido directly to retain my grandfathered plan and perform a device upgrade? Thank you.

@nick67 That's not true you can do an upgrade and keep your existing plan. I never had any problems doing this and I just upgraded my phone and keep my grandfathered plans a few months ago through BestBuy.

nick67
I'm Qualified Level 3

Thanks so much @FidoPierre and @KAPABLE-K!

One further question for @KAPABLE-K, did Best Buy allow you to use your FidoDollars towards the device upgrade?

@nick67 yes I used up the last of my Fido dollars when I did my upgrade and even got $150 BestBuy gift card thats why I did it there.

noobwitagun

All the moderators say it's possible, so ill go into costco/bestbuy/walmart and see if that's true. ill try calling 611 and getting a note added to it that sounds like a great idea and ill get back to you guys and let ya know what happends.

In B.C all the promotions are for new activations almost never for renewals only if you change your plan maybe.

noobwitagun

So bestbuy had the same problem not being able to upgrde, they suggest I call fido and the rep was useless and said I had to change my plan.

So I went to costco and told them the story and worked perfectly got my galaxy s5neo for $120 and a free car charger. thanks everyone for the help it was a bit of work but in the end very happy with how eveything unfolded.

Got new phones and kept the old plan very happy customer now 😃

noobwitagun

P.S to the other poster, Yes I was able to use my fido dollars at costco no issues at all.

Hi there @noobwitagun

Keep in mind that stores may have their own in-store policies Smiley

The best way to check if FidoDollars can be used in the store you plan on visiting, would be to give them a call before heading down.

You can find their address & contact number by using our Store Locator tool HERE

They can confirm with you over the phone if that's something they can do or not! Hopefully, it's not an issue Smiley

Hey @nick67!

There should be no problem processing a hardware upgrade with your current plan at one of these third party dealers. If you would like to do this upgrade in a different store however you can also check out our store locator right here. Smiley 

Hey @noobwitagun,

I just checked and the phone should be available at $120+tax on a Plus10 plan in your province.

I'll send you a PM shortly to check out the details of your account and help you with the upgrade!

Talk to you soon Smiley