updating default internet browser for HTC One S

SOLVED
Raffy
I'm a Participant Level 3

How do you update default internet browser which comes with HTC One S ? Whenever I go to fido.ca I get this message "We noticed that you're not using the latest version of your browser.... We recomend upgrading your browser"

Accepted Solution

Re: updating default internet browser for HTC One S

Solved by Senior MVP Senior MVP

@Raffy wrote:

How do you update default internet browser which comes with HTC One S ? Whenever I go to fido.ca I get this message "We noticed that you're not using the latest version of your browser.... We recomend upgrading your browser"

***Edited to add label

Hello Raffy,

Welcome to the community!

Just to add to FidoJessica's post above, it appears that HTC's internet browser is being discontinued as of November 30, 2016 (see here), so there may not be any updates available. You may need to consider downloading a different browser from Google Play in order to use some of the newer website protocols. I tend to use Chrome on my phone. However, Firefox, Dolphin, and Opera are some of the other bigger names in mobile internet browsers. If you need assistance with accessing Google Play on your phone, you can find information here (from page 172).

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
5 REPLIES 5
Cawtau
Senior MVP

@Raffy wrote:

***Edited to add label

Hello Raffy,

Welcome to the community!

Just to add to FidoJessica's post above, it appears that HTC's internet browser is being discontinued as of November 30, 2016 (see here), so there may not be any updates available. You may need to consider downloading a different browser from Google Play in order to use some of the newer website protocols. I tend to use Chrome on my phone. However, Firefox, Dolphin, and Opera are some of the other bigger names in mobile internet browsers. If you need assistance with accessing Google Play on your phone, you can find information here (from page 172).

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Raffy
I'm a Participant Level 3

I get this message only on fido.ca website. When I go to play store this browser isn't listed under my installed apps to be updated and when I check htc internet browser in play story it says it's incompatible with your device

@Raffy wrote:
I get this message only on fido.ca website. When I go to play store this browser isn't listed under my installed apps to be updated and when I check htc internet browser in play story it says it's incompatible with your device

Hello again,

Does your phone have HTC Guide installed? If you do have the app installed, it may also update the phone's proprietary software under Support --> Software update. You may also try Trouble shooting --> Apps & software.

It may be that your phone's current version of the browser is the most up-to-date version compatible with Android (4.1.1). Finding and installing other browsers compatible with older versions of Android may require additional effort. 

Are there any specific things on the fido.ca website that you are unable to perform because of your browser or does it just give you the suggestion to update your browser?

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

FidoJessica
Former Moderator

Hey @Raffy!

I wanted to pass this new info along ! Have you tried to go into the Google play store, then select My apps from the menu, to check for an update? You can then open the page for the app and click on update to get a newer version. 

Let us know how that goes! 

FidoJessica
Former Moderator

Hey @Raffy!

That's a good question! Is this only when you go on Fido.ca or any other page as well ?