unwanted daily texts from 450009

SOLVED
chrissycheung
I'm a Participant Level 2

Hello, 

I have been getting daily -some times twice a day a texts from this Fido number 450009. 

The text always writes: Rétention and then the rest looks like a formula or statistical numbers. 

I have tried to call the number back. It is not a number. 

I don't know how to stop these texts. 

I tried texting back with the word STOP. It did not work and showed me an icon of coins 

as if it was a pay service?

If someone knows how to block a text. Please let me know. 

Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Re: unwanted daily texts from 450009

Solved by Senior MVP Senior MVP

@chrissycheung wrote:

... Rétention and then the rest looks like a formula or statistical numbers. 

I tried texting back with the word STOP. It did not work and showed me an icon of coins 

Hello Chrissycheung,

Those do not sound like your run-of-the-mill spam texts. What phone do you have? Have you downloaded any new apps, or opened any email or text attachements recently? Do you run any security apps ie antivirus etc on your phone? I read an article recently regarding detecting android spyware and securing privacy. Number 5 on that list sounds similar to your situation. I'm not saying that the texts you received are due to spyware etc, but those texts seem a little peculiar. Most spam texts are legible and include links to nefarious sites.

You might consider running an antivirus and security app to see if they find anything. You might also consider going through your apps to see if there are any you don't recognise. Unfortunately, some malware are able to hide from the apps list.

If nothing comes up with that search, keep an eye on your phone for other unusual behaviour. Depending on the type of malware (if any is present on your phone), you might have to factory reset the phone to get rid of it. 

A word of caution. It's not best practice to reply to unknown SMS. I understand you were frustrated and just wanted them to stop. However, you never know what information is also getting sent by replying. Additionally, as you noted, it's possible that by simply replying to the text you may have inadvertently agreed to pay for their services.

In addition to what FidoKenny noted above, you might consider taking screen captures of the texts and posting them here. It may help others from receiving similar texts. 

If the texts all come from the same number, there might be an option to block messages from that number. Go to options for the text (ie read, reply, delete, etc). One of the options might be add to reject list. Doing so would only prevent you from receiving those texts in the future. However, it would not remove potential spyware or malware, if present.

It could be that the texts you received are not a result of spyware or malware. However, I'd rather be safe and provide you information about what it could be so you might be able to protect your phone.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
4 REPLIES 4
Cawtau
Senior MVP

@chrissycheung wrote:

... Rétention and then the rest looks like a formula or statistical numbers. 

Hello Chrissycheung,

Those do not sound like your run-of-the-mill spam texts. What phone do you have? Have you downloaded any new apps, or opened any email or text attachements recently? Do you run any security apps ie antivirus etc on your phone? I read an article recently regarding detecting android spyware and securing privacy. Number 5 on that list sounds similar to your situation. I'm not saying that the texts you received are due to spyware etc, but those texts seem a little peculiar. Most spam texts are legible and include links to nefarious sites.

You might consider running an antivirus and security app to see if they find anything. You might also consider going through your apps to see if there are any you don't recognise. Unfortunately, some malware are able to hide from the apps list.

If nothing comes up with that search, keep an eye on your phone for other unusual behaviour. Depending on the type of malware (if any is present on your phone), you might have to factory reset the phone to get rid of it. 

A word of caution. It's not best practice to reply to unknown SMS. I understand you were frustrated and just wanted them to stop. However, you never know what information is also getting sent by replying. Additionally, as you noted, it's possible that by simply replying to the text you may have inadvertently agreed to pay for their services.

In addition to what FidoKenny noted above, you might consider taking screen captures of the texts and posting them here. It may help others from receiving similar texts. 

If the texts all come from the same number, there might be an option to block messages from that number. Go to options for the text (ie read, reply, delete, etc). One of the options might be add to reject list. Doing so would only prevent you from receiving those texts in the future. However, it would not remove potential spyware or malware, if present.

It could be that the texts you received are not a result of spyware or malware. However, I'd rather be safe and provide you information about what it could be so you might be able to protect your phone.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

chrissycheung
I'm a Participant Level 2

I have a Samsung Galaxy. I was able to block the number . and I have not received it ever since.

thanks, for your help.

cheers,

c

nick67
I'm Qualified Level 3

Which phone do you currently have? If you have an iPhone running at least iOS 8, I can confirm blocking an unwanted number is quite simple.

See Digital Trends article on blocking numbers on either iOS and Android:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/how-to-block-text-messages-in-ios-and-android/

FidoKenny

Hey @chrissycheung and welcome to the Community Smiley

This is probably Spam that you keep getting on your phone.

You can find how to deal with those here.

You can report this to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre by email or phone (1-888-495-8501)

Hope this helps Smiley