unlock phone with fido dollars

SOLVED
chsieh
I'm a Participant Level 3

Is there a way to unlock my phone with fido dollars? I did some research and found I can move my monthly service to pre-paid service and use Fido Dollars to get refill voucher to fill up the account. Can I still do that now?

I'm thinking of moving to Mobilicity since it's using rogers network. I can get more date with cheaper price. 

Accepted Solution

Re: unlock phone with fido dollars

Solved by Former Moderator FidoMaria

Hi chsieh. Smiley

Here's what you can use your FidoDOLLARS™ for:

- To get a new phone;

- To get a travel pack;

- To get certain add-ons.

In regards to transferring your line to prepaid, any FidoDOLLARS™ accumulated are lost when a monthly subscriber transfers to a prepaid account.

I hope this answers your question!

View solution in context
8 REPLIES 8
Cawtau
Senior MVP

@chsieh wrote:

I'm thinking of moving to Mobilicity since it's using rogers network. I can get more date with cheaper price. 

***Edited to add labels***

Hello Chsieh,

Welcome to the forums!

You might want to verify your information. While Mobilicity is a subsidiary of Rogers, they don't actually use Rogers' network. They use band 4 (AWS or 1700/2100MHz) on UMTS (WCDMA) (see here). That is the same band which Wind and T-Mobile use for their '3G' network. While Fido/Rogers uses band 4 for LTE, the bands are not interchangable between networks. You can verify the compatible bands/frequencies here.

I also encourage you to do your research as to whether Mobilicity would suit your needs. I have written previously about the possible limitations of Wind for some people. Mobilicity would have many of those same limitations.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

@Cawtau wrote:

Hello Chsieh,

You might want to verify your information. While Mobilicity is a subsidiary of Rogers, they don't actually use Rogers' network. They use band 4 (AWS or 1700/2100MHz) on UMTS (WCDMA) (see here). That is the same band which Wind and T-Mobile use for their '3G' network. While Fido/Rogers uses band 4 for LTE, the bands are not interchangable between networks. You can verify the compatible bands/frequencies here.

Cheers

Hello,

Well, I stand corrected. My apologies.

It sounds like Mobilicity customers have transitioned over to the Rogers '3G' networks. That said, there is no news as to whether Mobilicity customers will be able to avail of Rogers' LTE networks in the future.

Cheers

@Cawtau wrote:

It sounds like Mobilicity customers have transitioned over to the Rogers '3G' networks. That said, there is no news as to whether Mobilicity customers will be able to avail of Rogers' LTE networks in the future.

Hello,

After some additional reading, I think it is worth mentioning that while Rogers will honour any and all plans coming from Mobilicity, they are still subject to Mobilicity’s fair use policies, meaning that the carrier holds the right to cut off its customers for “excess usage.” 

In addition, Rogers also confirmed that it will be maintaining Mobilicity’s current Home and Away zones, meaning that despite having access to a national network, customers will still be limited to the five current markets: Toronto, Ottawa, Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver. Outside of those areas, will be considered roaming.

Cheers

chsieh

@Cawtau wrote:

@Cawtau wrote:

Hello,

After some additional reading, I think it is worth mentioning that while Rogers will honour any and all plans coming from Mobilicity, they are still subject to Mobilicity’s fair use policies, meaning that the carrier holds the right to cut off its customers for “excess usage.” 

In addition, Rogers also confirmed that it will be maintaining Mobilicity’s current Home and Away zones, meaning that despite having access to a national network, customers will still be limited to the five current markets: Toronto, Ottawa, Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver. Outside of those areas, will be considered roaming.

Cheers

The fair use policies wont cut off the data use, but they will put speed limit.

and yes, they still maintaing Home/Away zones, but I rarely travel outside their home zone. It will work for me as long as the signle is good. Besides, they have data/airtime add-on if I'm going to travle in Canda. 

chsieh

no worries. I just found out that mobilicity had transition to Rogers 3G network a week ago. I heard the signle improved by a lot. since I dont really need fast data speed, but I do need more data. Moving to Mobilicity can save me about $40 a month from my current plan.

Cheers, 

FidoMegan
Former Moderator

Hey chsieh! 

We'd hate to see you go! Is there anything we can do? 

It is possible to transfer the line to someone else and the FidoDOLLARS™ associated to that line would also be transferred. Keep in mind that it's not possible to transfer the account and FidoDOLLARS™ without transferring the phone number.

Once the line is in her name, you'll only be able to port it out if the new account is also in her name. 

Let me know! 

FidoMaria
Former Moderator

Hi chsieh. Smiley

Here's what you can use your FidoDOLLARS™ for:

- To get a new phone;

- To get a travel pack;

- To get certain add-ons.

In regards to transferring your line to prepaid, any FidoDOLLARS™ accumulated are lost when a monthly subscriber transfers to a prepaid account.

I hope this answers your question!

chsieh

Is it possible to transfer the fido dollars to my wife? She is with Fido, but we've never merged our account together. Can I TOR my accout to my wife so she can get the fido dollars? I'll port out after.