unlock fido phone

unlock fido phone

unlock fido phone

SOLVED
BRENDAADNERB1
I'm a Participant Level 1

unlock fido phone

i want to purchase a fido phone with my rewards dollars and not use it on my fido account.  I'd like to get it unlocked.  I am currently with fido and have been for the past 20+ years.  do i have to wait the 90 days to get it unlocked?

Accepted Solution

Re: unlock fido phone

Solved by Former Moderator FidoMaria

Hi @BRENDAADNERB1 & welcome to the Community!

@KAPABLE-K is right. If the phone is bought at full price, there's no need to wait 90 days. Just be sure to have the proof of purchase. A $50 fee is also applicable.

To add to the previous answer, I'd also like to advise you that getting a phone unlocked by a third party may void the warranty with the manufacturer if any software/hardware modifications are done.

Hope this helps. Smiley

*Edited to clarify information

View solution in context
5 REPLIES 5
KAPABLE-K
MVP

If you buy the phone outright then no you do not need to wait 90 days to get Fido to unlock it.

Fido charges $50 to unlock a phone. I would suggest you unlock it through a third-party cellphone unlocking company as it can be done for much cheaper depending on the phone.

Hi @BRENDAADNERB1 & welcome to the Community!

@KAPABLE-K is right. If the phone is bought at full price, there's no need to wait 90 days. Just be sure to have the proof of purchase. A $50 fee is also applicable.

To add to the previous answer, I'd also like to advise you that getting a phone unlocked by a third party may void the warranty with the manufacturer if any software/hardware modifications are done.

Hope this helps. Smiley

*Edited to clarify information

How will it void the warranty?

@KAPABLE-K, it depends on the unlocking method used. A software modification or hardware modification, for example, would void the warranty.

I think it goes with out saying that any hardware/software modification will indeed void the manufacture warranty.

All unlocking it done by codes now. So there is no modification being done so the manufacture warranty will not be void.

You just said unlocking from a third-party will void warranty with out your explanation of modification to the hardware/software.

So you are making it sound like if users don't pay Fido the $50 to unlock and they do it through a third-party then they will loose the warranty. Not cool at all.