travel package confusion

Service interruption

An update for our valued customers: We know you depend on us and on April 19, we let you down - for this we are truly sorry. You won’t be charged for your wireless services that were impacted on Monday, April 19. A credit equivalent to that day's wireless service fee will be applied to your May bill. This will be done automatically & no action is required by you.

Click here to read more

travel package confusion

travel package confusion

SOLVED
mary103
I'm a Participant Level 1

travel package confusion

Purchased US travel package twice now thinking I would get texts free while on vacation.  I'll never buy a package again since they will always find a way to charge you.  Have no idea why I have roaming charges, never used data only sent texts and a few phone calls.  Customer service said they couldn't do anything since it happened the last time too and it was adjusted.   Thoroughly frustrated with explaination.  Do I not need to turn roaming on to make phonecalls?.  It wouldn't allow me to make them unless on.

Accepted Solution

Re: travel package confusion

Solved by Senior MVP Senior MVP

@mary103 wrote:

Purchased US travel package twice now thinking I would get texts free while on vacation.  I'll never buy a package again since they will always find a way to charge you.  Have no idea why I have roaming charges, never used data only sent texts and a few phone calls.  Customer service said they couldn't do anything since it happened the last time too and it was adjusted.   Thoroughly frustrated with explaination.  Do I not need to turn roaming on to make phonecalls?.  It wouldn't allow me to make them unless on. 

Hello Mary103,

Welcome to the forums!

I believe that roaming would indeed need to be turned on when travelling outside of Canada because your phone will have to connect to a different network. What phone are you using? Some phones have separate roaming and data roaming settings.

Does it specify what roaming charges were incurred? I assume you purchased a Talk and Text pack (ie no data). I understand that you do not believe you used any data. However, data usage isn't always overt (ie browsing the web). If you have a smartphone, many apps have automatic updates and periodic syncs of which you might not be aware. Google/iTunes app store, email, social media apps, news apps, weather apps... to name a few, all automatically sync or update. Also, were any of the texts MMS? Picture messaging would incur a fee plus data transmission fee for both sent and received MMS.

Before your next trip, I suggest you go through the settings and apps on your phone and prevent any automatic updates or syncs. If they have the option to update/sync on WiFi only, that setting might work as well. Additionally, if your phone has a separate data roaming setting, you might consider turning that off as well.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
3 REPLIES 3
Cawtau
Senior MVP

@mary103 wrote:

Hello Mary103,

Welcome to the forums!

I believe that roaming would indeed need to be turned on when travelling outside of Canada because your phone will have to connect to a different network. What phone are you using? Some phones have separate roaming and data roaming settings.

Does it specify what roaming charges were incurred? I assume you purchased a Talk and Text pack (ie no data). I understand that you do not believe you used any data. However, data usage isn't always overt (ie browsing the web). If you have a smartphone, many apps have automatic updates and periodic syncs of which you might not be aware. Google/iTunes app store, email, social media apps, news apps, weather apps... to name a few, all automatically sync or update. Also, were any of the texts MMS? Picture messaging would incur a fee plus data transmission fee for both sent and received MMS.

Before your next trip, I suggest you go through the settings and apps on your phone and prevent any automatic updates or syncs. If they have the option to update/sync on WiFi only, that setting might work as well. Additionally, if your phone has a separate data roaming setting, you might consider turning that off as well.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

sponge5307
I'm a Participant Level 2

Always turn dada off your phone when traveling. You can still use WiFi while data is off. Thats' what I do when I travel.

FidoMatt
Former Moderator

Hi Mary103, 

You have to make sure data roaming is off on your phone to avoid being charged. If not, if your emails update or an app refreshes and you are not connected to wifi you will be charged. 

Could we have more details on what happened? Did the romaing plan that you added include any data?