text messages

text messages

text messages

SOLVED
lwilson
I'm a Contributor Level 1

text messages

How do I send and recieve text messages from California. When I recieve one I can not answer it. I did before I have 100 free text messages on my phone. I need to use it.I live in B.C. Canada

Accepted Solution

Re: text messages

Solved by Senior MVP Senior MVP

Hello again,

Thank you for the additional information.

If you are currently in Canada, then roaming would not apply to your situation.

@lwilson wrote:

I do not know if it is SMS or MMs. If I turn my data on will it work,they were no pictures sent or recieved...

If you had to turn on your data, then it was sent/received as MMS. A MMS does not necessarily include pictures. If there is a subject line as a part of the message (a feature on some phones) the message will also be sent as a MMS rather than a simple SMS.

@lwilson wrote:

...818 number stated sent to answering service,then next message sent it said landline,so did first message go to answering service and secound did not go through because of landline. It stated on the first message that went to the answering service that it cost 25 cents. So I guess 100 free messages only in Canada. The ones I sent a few days ago were to a cell phone in California at the area code 650 and they worked out O.K.no costs.So it looks like it did not work because it was not a cell phone,but, why did it work to the same number to an answering service....

Sending texts to a landline is a 3rd party service which incurs additional cost, 25¢ (see here). If you didn't incur charges for sending the texts to the Californian mobile phone, then it seems like your 100 messages includes texts to the US. I suspect both the answering service and landline number were actually landline numbers. It's possible the text to the second number didn't go through if there was no answering machine/service attached to that number. There would be no place to leave the message.

Aside: I assume you know the people you are replying to. If you don't, I suggest proceeding with caution. It may be all innocent, but it just seems a little strange texting from and expecting replies to a landline...

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
6 REPLIES 6
Cawtau
Senior MVP

@lwilson wrote:

How do I send and recieve text messages from California. When I recieve one I can not answer it. I did before I have 100 free text messages on my phone. I need to use it.I live in B.C. Canada

***Edited to add tags and labels***

Hello Lwilson,

Welcome to the community!

Are the text messages you are receiving SMS or MMS? If they are MMS, you will need to have data enabled to download the associated pictures or messages. Any data within a MMS would be treated differently than other data and not count against any data allottments. You also do not need any data plans/passes to send/receive MMS.

Assuming you are able to read the text messages you are receiving, what error message are you getting when you try to answer? Did you press reply or manually enter the phone number? If you haven't already, you might consider trying to enter the number manually using the +1-xxx-xxx-xxxx format. 

Are you sure the text message you received was from a mobile phone? Sometimes people use computer-based (or app-based) texting platforms to send texts which may or may not allow replies. Have you placed any blocks on 3rd party charges? Sometimes texting app- or computer-based numbers incur additional charges.

When you said you 'did before', was it from/to the same sender/recipient? 

Are you sure your '100 free text messages' includes the US? Not likely a cause of your problem, but worth noting. If they don't include the US (or international) your reply still should have been sent on a pay-per-use basis.

I just re-read your post... are you currently in California? Or in Canada, but trying to text someone in California? If you are currently in California, you would be considered roaming. Note: sending/receiving MMS while roaming would require enabling roaming data and would incur roaming data charges...

Hope some of this helps Smiley

Cheers

lwilson

I am in B.C. Canada and not in California,only recived messages from California and tried to answer back.

lwilson

I do not know if it is SMS or MMs. If I turn my data on will it work,they were no pictures sent or recieved,818 number stated sent to answering service,then next message sent it said landline,so did first message go to answering service and secound did not go through because of landline. It stated on the first message that went to the answering service that it cost 25 cents. So I guess 100 free messages only in Canada. The ones I sent a few days ago were to a cell phone in California at the area code 650 and they worked out O.K.no costs.So it looks like it did not work because it was not a cell phone,but, why did it work to the same number to an answering service. I called Fido and they said they would reset my phone and to try again. I will try again later.

Hello again,

Thank you for the additional information.

If you are currently in Canada, then roaming would not apply to your situation.

@lwilson wrote:

I do not know if it is SMS or MMs. If I turn my data on will it work,they were no pictures sent or recieved...

If you had to turn on your data, then it was sent/received as MMS. A MMS does not necessarily include pictures. If there is a subject line as a part of the message (a feature on some phones) the message will also be sent as a MMS rather than a simple SMS.

@lwilson wrote:

...818 number stated sent to answering service,then next message sent it said landline,so did first message go to answering service and secound did not go through because of landline. It stated on the first message that went to the answering service that it cost 25 cents. So I guess 100 free messages only in Canada. The ones I sent a few days ago were to a cell phone in California at the area code 650 and they worked out O.K.no costs.So it looks like it did not work because it was not a cell phone,but, why did it work to the same number to an answering service....

Sending texts to a landline is a 3rd party service which incurs additional cost, 25¢ (see here). If you didn't incur charges for sending the texts to the Californian mobile phone, then it seems like your 100 messages includes texts to the US. I suspect both the answering service and landline number were actually landline numbers. It's possible the text to the second number didn't go through if there was no answering machine/service attached to that number. There would be no place to leave the message.

Aside: I assume you know the people you are replying to. If you don't, I suggest proceeding with caution. It may be all innocent, but it just seems a little strange texting from and expecting replies to a landline...

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

KAPABLE-K
MVP

@lwilson Can you tell us exactly what is happening when you receive the text message also did you turn on your roamin feature on the phone?

lwilson

What roaming features, I sent many text messages to California last week and it worked back and forth. I tried to send a message to California,Fido said it would cost .25 cents. I agreed to send this message. I could not answer back to this person. I have tried 2 of their numbers and they are in Different places at different times

I sent a number of text messages to California that went through,The ones that went through were area code 650, the one that did not was area code 818.I do not know how to connect roaming but why did some work and some not in California.