slight overage

slight overage

slight overage

SOLVED
awongson
I'm a Participant Level 1

slight overage

My current bill shows I went over my data allotment by 456KB, and the Fido system charged me $5 for more data. While I understand that 'the system' automatically charges for any overages (and they have a right to do so), I think it would be great if the system could employ a grace period, say, up to 1MB, where they wouldn't bother with the overage charge for anything under a meg. That to me would be a goodwill gesture, instead of dinging me $5 for such a miniscule overage. 

If any carrier offers that kind of attention to detail for fairness and goodwill, I would switch in a heartbeat. (hint hint, Fido...hope you're listening).

Accepted Solution

Re: slight overage

Solved by Moderator

Hello Awongon, and welcome to the community Smiley

Your feedback is appreciated. I will make sure to foward your concerns to the people in charge.

We don't have a *grace period*, however we do send notifications once you reach %75 and %100 of your data usage.

It's a good alert to use. You can also monitor your usage from your Fido App or from you account on Fido.ca.

We have tips and tricks so you can stay on top of your data usage. You can find that here Smiley

We certainly don't want you to leave Fido. I would be happy to verify your plan and options with you. I'm sending you a PM to get this looked into.

Talk to you soon.

View solution in context
10 REPLIES 10
FidoRachel
Former Moderator

Hey aahhoo, not all data plans are compatible with the data tracker. 

Don't forget that you can monitor your usage on Fido.ca or with our app.

If you are using an Andoird phone, you can set a data limitation from Settings -> Data Usage. 

If you are using an iPhone, you can disable/ enable cellular data usage for each app from Setting -> Cellular network. 

I'm a Participant Level 2

We don't have a *grace period*, however we do send notifications once you reach %75 and %100 of your data usage.

I've never received a notification when I'm about to reach 75% or 100% of my data usage... I only ever get the notification that I've gone over my limit:

Fido svc msg: You've exceeded the amount of data included in your plan by $50. For your protection, data is temporarily on hold. To resume, go2 www.fido.ca/m/dc

Can you please tell me how to enable notifications for 75% and 100% usage so that I can avoid overages altogether? 

zyx
I'm Qualified Level 2
I'm Qualified Level 2

@6188800 wrote:

I've never received a notification when I'm about to reach 75% or 100% of my data usage... I only ever get the notification that I've gone over my limit:

Fido svc msg: You've exceeded the amount of data included in your plan by $50. For your protection, data is temporarily on hold. To resume, go2 www.fido.ca/m/dc

Can you please tell me how to enable notifications for 75% and 100% usage so that I can avoid overages altogether? 

When you have busted by $50, that (probably) means that you're 2.5GB over (at $10/500MB). You either have a rogue app somewhere, or you need to re-evaluate your current plan.

That said, if you are using an iPhone, I'm sure there are plenty of apps that will monitor your data usage. A quick Google search turned up this one, for example. I don't know if it can turn data off automatically, like the built-in Android feature.

Hi zyx,

Thanks for your reply and the link to the app... I've downloaded and installed on my iPhone.

Not that you suggested otherwise, but I was aware before I got the notification that I'd gone over by that much -- you see, I had to do some remote work on my computer away from wi-fi and my personal hotspot was the only way to do it. The good news is that it's all billable to a client.

My concern was that I've never received the 75% or 100% notification, and the post above caught my attention as a result.

Thanks again,

Peter

FidoMaria
Former Moderator

@6188800 If your plan was activated between November 4th 2010 and August 3rd 2011, or after December 2nd 2013, it automatically includes the data tracker alerts.

For a few tips on how to manage your data usage, you can check out our blog post.

Hope this helps! Smiley

Hi FidoMaria,

Thanks for writing back. As it happens, my account was originally set up in 2009 but has undergone several upgrades since then. Most recently, I upgraded to 2 iPhones and 2 voice-only plans for my kids (4 phones total) in February, 2015. This required a whole new contract -- surely this would qualify me (and my other iPhone) for courtesy notifications?

I would really appreciate it if someone could flip the switch in my account to enable these notifications.

Thanks!

Peter

Hi 6188800!

Data tracker is only available in plans released between November 4, 2010 and August 3, 2011 and after December 2, 2013. If your plan was released outside of these dates, you'll need to change your plan to one which includes the data tracker feature. 

We'll need to take a look in your account to see if you need to change your plan. 

I'll send you a PM shortly. Smiley

FidoKenny

Hello Awongon, and welcome to the community Smiley

Your feedback is appreciated. I will make sure to foward your concerns to the people in charge.

It's a good alert to use. You can also monitor your usage from your Fido App or from you account on Fido.ca.

We have tips and tricks so you can stay on top of your data usage. You can find that here Smiley

We certainly don't want you to leave Fido. I would be happy to verify your plan and options with you. I'm sending you a PM to get this looked into.

Talk to you soon.

aahhoo
I'm a Participant Level 1

How come I never get any notifications when my data usage is almost over the limit? Last month I got charged $30 for extra data!