renewing plan with fido dollars for iphone 5

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 1
I'm a Participant Level 1

renewing plan with fido dollars for iphone 5

Hi I have a question,

My regular plan expiring on Sep 30, can I renew and get a new 3 years plan and pay fido dollars towards my iphone 5 purchase?

How much would be the i phone 5 plan for normal user ? and how much gig is morthan enough? like I say normal usage.

Thanks!

UK

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 12
Highlighted
I'm an Expert Level 2
I'm an Expert Level 2

Re: renewing plan with fido dollars for iphone 5

@umairkhan01 wrote:

Hi I have a question,

My regular plan expiring on Sep 30, can I renew and get a new 3 years plan and pay fido dollars towards my iphone 5 purchase?

How much would be the i phone 5 plan for normal user ? and how much gig is morthan enough? like I say normal usage.

Thanks!

UK

What is your current plan? Generally, you need a voice plan of $25 or more and a total of voice and data or $50 or more on a 3 year contract. Currently that would limit you to only the $55, $60 or $80 Max plans. You could also ask if the $50 promo plan qualifies, but I don't think it does as it is only available on a 2 year. This all assumes you want to pay the $199 subsidized price in addition to using your Fido Dollars.

If you have enough Fido dollars to pay for the full price ($700 + tax) then you have a little more flexability, though you still need a 3 year data contract, which requires a $25 voice plan, so not much more flexible. Things may have changed so don't quote me on that.

How much data you use depends on your individual usage patterns. My father uses less than 100MB on average every month. I use between 1GB-6GB consistently, usually around 3GB. If you have wifi at home, work and school and rarely would use cell data, you need less. If you don't and expect to use it a lot throughout the say, you may need more.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 12
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey guys,

Slight correction in 10yearfido's post (good news); since we no longer offer 2 or 3 year data add-ons, they are no longer required when purchasing a smartphone at full cost. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 12
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 2

I just spoke with a Fido Rep, and I am month-to-month. I was told that I cannot use my fido dollars towards the full purchase of the phone with a data plan. Can I get some clarification please. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 12
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 3

Same problem.....I've been sitting on my Fido dollars for years now, almost $320.  I need an unlocked phone for work abroad, so last time I bought the Iphone 4 unlocked at Apple.  Now again I understand that I cannot use Fido dollars towards buying the full price Iphone 5 at Fido?  That's ridiculous.....taking a 3 year plan and getting a subsidized phone means using up my Fido dollars (as I'll get the 64 GB model) and then paying $500 to cancel the data plan/voice plan, and another $50 to unlock the phone - after I wait a month. I think that's what every is saying... So the only benefit to that would be that the phone costs me $500 and not $900  so the FIdo Dolalrs finally get used - and then I leave Fido I guess, for Rogers/Telus/Bell or whomever who offer the IPHONE 5 in more than 16 GB.....  but I also have a hunch that the 'unlocking' by Fido may not be permanent, and that when there is an update and I sync, it gets reset and locked and I have to pay again? or.... that if I go to use it with a SIM card abroad it won't work?  So it seems that if that is the case I may as well just walk now, abandon my Fido dollars and 20 years with FIDO and just buy a phone from Apple.. Any suggestions? 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 12
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello,

I can confirm that FidoDOLLARS™ can be used towards the full price purchase of an iPhone 5. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 12
Highlighted

FidoStephen,

Can you also confirm a contract extension and data add-on is not required when using FidoDollars towards the full purchase of the iPhone 5. As well, may I have your response noted to my account, so i do not have to jump through hoops when going through the process.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 12
Highlighted

What if you want to pay contract price? I have ended my 3 year contract and am just going month by month until I figure out whether I want to stick with fido or go elsewhere. I am up for a new phone + 3 year renewal and if the iphone is $179 witht 3 year contract (which I would sign up for) would I be able to use my fido $ to pay for the $179?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 12
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

@ HamptonFido
If you are purchasing the iPhone at full price, your agreement will not be renewed or extended, as this would only apply for an agreement renewal (if eligible) to have the cost of the phone subsidized by us.

It is unfortunately not possible for me to note this in your account as I would need to speak with you live & identify you as the account holder prior to accessing your account.

This policy (Mandatory data with term) was updated & removed on August 8th, so you may use that as a reference.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 12
Highlighted

Interesting.

So FIDO officially changed the guidelines for using FIDO dollars in purchasing a new phone full price, in that a data plan is no longer required.

I spoke with FIDO today, with two different agents.

The first  had no idea what the guidelines were, and consulted with someone, and reported back that yes, I could use the FD but HAD to take a data plan, no voice plan, and that I could cancel after 3 weeks and just pay the one month data plan and a penalty fee of $50.  He explained that this was a way of 'getting around the rules'.  I called back a second time, the second agent really had no  idea at all (why do FIDO agents not have any training or information?) and simply read out the notes from the previous conversation.  I told him that many FIDO customers were reporting that they did not need a data contract when buying with FD. He said he would write it into my account but that I would still have to take the data contract and cancel but he would make sure I didn't have to pay any penalty. I was very unimpressed and unconvinced.

So there was a change in policy on August 8th?  Do Fido employees get updated on such critical policy changes? How diI get this onto my account? 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 12