"Terms of use" won't pop up for wifi?

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 3 Alicia12345
I'm a Participant Level 3

"Terms of use" won't pop up for wifi?

I'm using a new Samsung Galaxy S4 and when I try to use an open wifi network at a place like Walmart, the wifi connects but the "Terms of Use" agreement won't pop up to allow me to actually use the internet. I've tried opening Chrome and going to a webpage, turning the wifi on and off, turning the device on and off, but I still can't use the internet. Any suggestions?

Accepted Solution

Re: "Terms of use" won't pop up for wifi?

Hello,

I had this issue today. Trying to access any website using Chrome led to 'Webpage is not secure' warning. I tried to forget the network and re-connect numerous times without avail.

It seems like it's a Chrome issue rather than a phone issue. I read some forum posts suggesting using Opera or Dolphin to access any website which will get the 'Terms of use' page to pop up. Once 'accepted' or logged in to the wifi location, you can close the browser and continue to use Chrome (or any browser you choose).

I just used the stock 'Internet' app that came with my phone and it worked as well.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 3
I'm Experienced Level 2
I'm Experienced Level 2

Is it working with other devices? (Tablets, computers, friend's phones, etc) If so, you should factory-reset your phone. Before doing that, you could also try to "forget" the network and add it back. I've had similar issues on my Nexus 5 in a Tim Hortons a few weeks ago and forgetting the network worked immediately.
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 3
MVP
MVP
Solution

Hello,

I had this issue today. Trying to access any website using Chrome led to 'Webpage is not secure' warning. I tried to forget the network and re-connect numerous times without avail.

It seems like it's a Chrome issue rather than a phone issue. I read some forum posts suggesting using Opera or Dolphin to access any website which will get the 'Terms of use' page to pop up. Once 'accepted' or logged in to the wifi location, you can close the browser and continue to use Chrome (or any browser you choose).

I just used the stock 'Internet' app that came with my phone and it worked as well.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 3