possible fraud

possible fraud

possible fraud

SOLVED
imadeter
I'm a Participant Level 1

possible fraud

Hello!
Today I received a text message form 902 984-1237 saying : Dear Fido costumer, your account is temporarily locked for security reasons. In order to obtain access to all the features of your account, please verify your identity by clicking on the link below: ** link not included for security reasons **
This is definitely a fraud . Many people's account might be compromised already. I did not submit anything when I opened the link but how do these frauders have a list of Fido numbers? This frauder should be dealt with so Fido does'nt loose customers and financial losses from the frauder's attack. 

Accepted Solution

Re: possible fraud

Solved by Senior MVP Senior MVP

Hello Imadeter,

Welcome to the community!

Thanks for bringing it to the community's attention! 

@imadeter wrote:

... I did not submit anything when I opened the link but how do these frauders have a list of Fido numbers? ... 

It's a good think you didn't submit any information. In the future, it's probably best not to open the link in the first place. Apparently, Fido won't ever send a text from a 10-digit number (see here) so you can just delete them when you receive them. 

The fraudsters don't have a list of Fido numbers so you were likely not targeted. Most spammers use computers to dial or send texts to numbers sequentially in a set block of numbers ie xxx-xxx-0001, xxx-xxx-0002... xxx-xxx-9999, xxx-xxy-0001....

Some more sophisticated scammers know that certain number blocks (area code + prefix) will usually be a landline or mobile number -- even which mobile provider. That's how they seem to know what provider you have: Your mobile provider account has been compromised...  Number porting has blurred those blocks, though. Still, it's a numbers game for them. 

Fido uses sophisticated anti-spam software in their network to protect us from spammers. Unfortunately, some still get through. That's why I started this thread. Hopefully, they'll be able to incorporate those examples to help improve the spam filter.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
2 REPLIES 2
Cawtau
Senior MVP

Hello Imadeter,

Welcome to the community!

Thanks for bringing it to the community's attention! 

@imadeter wrote:

... I did not submit anything when I opened the link but how do these frauders have a list of Fido numbers? ... 

It's a good think you didn't submit any information. In the future, it's probably best not to open the link in the first place. Apparently, Fido won't ever send a text from a 10-digit number (see here) so you can just delete them when you receive them. 

The fraudsters don't have a list of Fido numbers so you were likely not targeted. Most spammers use computers to dial or send texts to numbers sequentially in a set block of numbers ie xxx-xxx-0001, xxx-xxx-0002... xxx-xxx-9999, xxx-xxy-0001....

Some more sophisticated scammers know that certain number blocks (area code + prefix) will usually be a landline or mobile number -- even which mobile provider. That's how they seem to know what provider you have: Your mobile provider account has been compromised...  Number porting has blurred those blocks, though. Still, it's a numbers game for them. 

Fido uses sophisticated anti-spam software in their network to protect us from spammers. Unfortunately, some still get through. That's why I started this thread. Hopefully, they'll be able to incorporate those examples to help improve the spam filter.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Original_Lucy
I'm Qualified Level 1

You're right, I received it also and I hope no one fell for it. There are so many scams out there that it is difficult for some people to recognize them. I would suggest, with anything like email, text or phone messages. Delete them, do not reply to the message, instead contact the company directly to ask if they contacted you. No exceptions.

If you liked my answer or I solved your problem please click like or solved.