portable wifi

portable wifi

portable wifi

SOLVED
ram_27
I'm a Contributor Level 1

portable wifi

hi everyone,

does an unlocked Huawei E5330 pocket wifi work with fido network here in canada? 

Accepted Solution

Re: portable wifi

Solved by Community Manager

Hey ram_27 and thanks for joining the Commmunity!

From what I was able to find, it is compatible with our 2G network (850 & 1900 MHz), but it  won't work on our 3G network since it doesn't have any of the compatible frequencies.

Hope this helps!

View solution in context
6 REPLIES 6
FidoStephen
Community Manager

Hey ram_27 and thanks for joining the Commmunity!

From what I was able to find, it is compatible with our 2G network (850 & 1900 MHz), but it  won't work on our 3G network since it doesn't have any of the compatible frequencies.

Hope this helps!

ram_27

thank you for answering my question. what about the Huawei E587U 4G wifi hotspot? Telus is using it. Does this mean that I can use it with Fido network if its unlock? I'm sorry for being inquisitive about this "portable wifi" issue but I really would like to get one as I am working in a remote area and I don't really understand these network jargons.. I do have an internet stick with Fido but I realize that I can only use it with my laptop. A portable wifi would be better for me so I can connect more than 2 devices. 

@ram_27 wrote:

thank you for answering my question. what about the Huawei E587U 4G wifi hotspot? Telus is using it. Does this mean that I can use it with Fido network if its unlock? I'm sorry for being inquisitive about this "portable wifi" issue but I really would like to get one as I am working in a remote area and I don't really understand these network jargons.. I do have an internet stick with Fido but I realize that I can only use it with my laptop. A portable wifi would be better for me so I can connect more than 2 devices. 

Hello Ram_27,

Welcome to the forums!

I have not been able to find any specifications for that exact model (E587U). However, I did find this:

Huawei E587.jpg

Screen capture taken from here.

Apparently, the version with the [22] footnote is from Telus. You might want to verify its model version. If this version is the one you're referring to, then according to those specifications, it would have all of the compatible bands for 2G and '3G'. You can verify the compatible bands here. You should be aware that this version is not LTE capable as there is one being sold on Kijiji claiming to be 'LTE'.

Also, are you aware that Fido has a LTE hotspot?

You mentioned you're working in a remote area. Are you getting adequate signal with your phone and/or internet stick there?

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

ram_27

Hi Cawtau,

Thank you for your response. Yes, i do get a good fido signal on my phone and internet stick. You're right, this is not LTE capable and fido has its own LTE hotspot. I just learned about this. This fido forum is a big help to me because i am not a "tech person". Thank you very much for your help. Happy Holidays to you!

ram_27

Hey ram_27.

You're right, a WI-FI hotspot has it's advantages.

Here are the specs that I found for that model:

HSPA + HSPA / UMTS (3G)  2100/900 MHz

EDGE / GPRS / GSM (2G) 850/900/1800/1900 MHz

To use it with us, your device must me compatible under the Fido network, which uses GSM, UMTS, HSPA and HSPA+ at 850 MHz and 1900 MHz. 

From what I see here, it's compatible under the 2G netwok, but wouldn't work on the 3G as well.

Hope this helps.

ram_27

thank you for the immediate response Kenny. your info and Stephen's helped. Happy Holidays guys!