poor cell signal at home

I'm a Participant Level 3 fran5
I'm a Participant Level 3

poor cell signal at home

Are there tips or tricks to avoid losing my cell phone signal where I live?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 14
Former Moderator FidoTerry
Former Moderator

Re: poor cell signal at home

Hey Fran5,

It's odd that you're losing cell phone signal. Are you currently using your phone under our coverage? You can check here to make sure you are.

As for tips and tricks. Although you should get reception indoors, it can't be guaranteed since different factors can affect your reception ( ex: material to build your house, tower distance, etc. ). If you only lose signal indoors, it would be best to have the phone near a window or a place with more open space to avoid any interference.

Another thing you can check out is if you have an compatible iPhone with our new Wi-Fi calling. It uses Wi-Fi to place the call when you have connections issues. You can learn more about it by clicking here. Hope this helps! Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 14
MVP
MVP

@fran5 wrote:

Are there tips or tricks to avoid losing my cell phone signal where I live?

**edited to add label

Hello Fran5,

As @FidoTerry mentioned, many factors can affect cell reception. Could you please provide a little more information? Do your issues only happen where you live or do they also happen elsewhere? Both indoors and outdoors? Are you losing all cell signal? or LTE? or '3G'? voice and data?

What phone are you using? Was your phone purchased from Fido? Where are you located (generally)? Have you tried a diferent SIM in your phone? Have you tried your SIM in a different phone?..

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 14
I'm Helpful Level 1
I'm Helpful Level 1

If you have some cell signal where you live, but just not a very strong one, another option is purchasing a WiFi signal booster. I have one and it boosts the signal by about 50%, and it enables me to make reliable calls when I'm driving out in the sticks and on the edge of cell reception. 

Where I live I have no WiFi signal to boost--I live complety out of range.  So I ended up biting the bullet and buying a phone that works with WiFi calling like FidoTerry mentioned, and that fixed the problem for me.

So there are some options for you!  Good luck. Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 14
MVP
MVP

@Pacificyew wrote:

If you have some cell signal where you live, but just not a very strong one, another option is purchasing a WiFi signal booster. I have one and it boosts the signal by about 50%, and it enables me to make reliable calls when I'm driving out in the sticks and on the edge of cell reception. 

Where I live I have no WiFi signal to boost--I live complety out of range.  So I ended up biting the bullet and buying a phone that works with WiFi calling like FidoTerry mentioned, and that fixed the problem for me.

So there are some options for you!  Good luck. Smiley

Hello Pacificyew,

Thanks for input, that's a great suggestion! However, I think you're referring to a cell signal booster rather than a Wifi booster.

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 14
I'm Helpful Level 1
I'm Helpful Level 1

Ha, you're right Cawtau.  Good catch. Oops! 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 14

My cell phone is a Samsung Galaxy S4 and bought it from fido. I live in a valley in a modular home Park, behind the Bruce Trail. My phone loses all cell signal almost everywhere in the house, and outside (inside the Park) as well. My wifi is always turned on. I have no trouble once I leave the valley. It is annoying and thought of switching to another cell phone company but was told I would have the same problem because of my home-location. I don't know what to believe, but some neighbours claim to have the same problem. I've never tried a different SIM in my phone, and don't understand why that would make a difference. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 14

Thanks Pacificyew for your advice, I will inquire into cell signal boosters.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 14
MVP
MVP

@fran5 wrote:

My cell phone is a Samsung Galaxy S4 and bought it from fido. I live in a valley in a modular home Park, behind the Bruce Trail. My phone loses all cell signal almost everywhere in the house, and outside (inside the Park) as well. My wifi is always turned on. I have no trouble once I leave the valley. It is annoying and thought of switching to another cell phone company but was told I would have the same problem because of my home-location. I don't know what to believe, but some neighbours claim to have the same problem...

Hello again,

Unfortunately, I think what you have been told about your home location might be correct. Assuming you're referring to the Bruce Trail near Milton, ON, the only cell tower in the area seems to be a Rogers tower.

Bruce Trail.jpg

Taken from here. I cannot vouch for accuracy.

In addition to the single tower, the valley would also act as an obstruction to cellular signals. Radio waves travel in straight lines. Unless the signals were directed downwards towards the valley, they would unlikely dip-down to reach the valley. Instead, they would skim across the top. Therefore, the valley also poses potential issues for signal boosters. Signal boosters need at least some signal to be able to boost. Depending how deep the valley is, there may not be enough signal to boost.

@fran5 wrote:

... I've never tried a different SIM in my phone, and don't understand why that would make a difference. 

Occasionally a faulty SIM can result in signal issues. Testing different SIM/phone configurations can elucidate whether that may be the case.

Unfortunately, I do not see a solution I can offer. Since there does not appear to be any other cellular towers in the area, switching providers would not help. Even if there were other towers, the cellular tower would need to be in the valley for it to reach people living in the valley.

**edit** Do you have access to internet where you are? You might consider Wifi-calling as an option like @Pacificyew has done at their home.**

Sorry, I know this wasn't what you wanted to hear, but I hope some of this helps Smiley Happy

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 14
Highlighted
I'm Helpful Level 1
I'm Helpful Level 1

Fran5, if you decide to try the WiFi calling route, I just thought I'd add that it is necessary to have a strong and fast WiFi connection.  Actually the reason why I accidentally called a cell reception booster a wifi booster in the post above is because I just also purchased a wifi extender/repeater last week to enable me to make WiFi calls from any room in my house.  With a good, strong wifi signal, WiFi calling seems to work flawlessly on my iPhone and the sound quality is perfectly clear.  But if I walk away from my router, the call quality decreases rapidly and calls can cut out.

I also don't know if you have thought about this, and I didn't see it mentioned, but does anyone you know have a cell phone that works better than yours in your home or rural area?  If so, that would at least tell you that there is enough of a cell signal available for a cell signal booster to help you out. It looks like Cawtau noted that the closest tower to you is a Rogers tower, which your phone should have access to with your Fido plan.  But not all cell phones are built the same, and rural reception between brands and models varies. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 14

Actally my location is NOTL area. And come to think of it, after reading your post, my husband's old flip phone seems to work a bit better than mine. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 11 of 14

Looked online at prices for cell phone signal boosters and find them very expensive to solve my problem. We're seniors on a fixed income. Any other possible options and advice sure is appreciated. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 12 of 14
I'm Helpful Level 1
I'm Helpful Level 1

I'm not a Fido employee, but they have the 5s iPhone on right now for $0 down if you agree to a 2 year plan. This is the phone I have that enables me to use wifi calling, and make calls over my home internet connection rather than cellular service. 

Like you, I also live in a rural area where the cell signal is spotty at best, and my 5s seems to pick up a cell signal as well as anyone else's cell phone I know.  I actually used to have a Blackberry that I really liked, but I was in the same position as you and needed to have a more reliable phone at home in order to communicate with my counselling clients.

The downfall of a 2 year contract is that, even though it would provide you with a free 5s iPhone, it may very well cost more per month than the plan you're on now.  If you consider this option, I suggest taking good, close look at the numbers and making sure it's worth it for you before you sign anything.  Once you're on a 2 year committment, the only way out is to buy your phone from them.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 13 of 14
MVP
MVP

@fran5 wrote:

Actally my location is NOTL area. And come to think of it, after reading your post, my husband's old flip phone seems to work a bit better than mine. 

Hello again,

Depending on where in the area you live, there may or may not be other towers which are closer to your location.

NOTL.jpg

Taken from here. I cannot vouch for accuracy.

If there are other towers which are closer to your location, have you tried to turn roaming on? With Extended coverage, there are roaming agreements with other Canadian wireless companies. If you are in an area not covered by Fido/Rogers but is covered by another service, you will roam on their network as Fido-EXT without any additional charge (may be plan dependent). Note however, extended coverage is only meant for short-term use. If you exceed 50% usage within extended coverage, it will be blocked (see here).

Since you do live close to the border, there is the slight possibility that the phone will connect to providers from the US -- which would incur roaming charges. That said, there should be measures in place to prevent that from happening (see here).

Hope some of this helps Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 14 of 14