paid 50$ to unlock samsung s4 but the code doesnt work

kairu00
I'm a Participant Level 1

Hello,

My contract for my plan ends  on April 15, 2016.  Ive been debating with either getting a new phone, keeping my current samsung s4 (i was told by fido that if i get back to them after my contract expires they would decrease the monthly charge), or moving to wind mobile.  So last month i called fido and paid $50 to have my phone unlocked.   fido gave me an unlock code and they told me to enter it once i put a different sim card into the phone.

since i was debating on moving to wind mobile, i wanted to make sure that my phone can be used on their network, so i borrowed my sisters wind mobile sim card and placed it into my phone.  upon powering on the phone it asked me for the unlock code.   i entered it, but it said that the unlock was unsuccessful.

is there any way to fix this so that the unlock code works?

2 REPLIES 2
Cawtau
Senior MVP

@kairu00 wrote:

Hello,

since i was debating on moving to wind mobile, i wanted to make sure that my phone can be used on their network...

Hello Kairu00,

Welcome to the forums!

I have previously posted regarding the potential limitations of other providers including Wind (see here). One thing you will have to consider is whether your S4 is compatible with Wind's network. If your phone is from Fido, it is likely the SGH-i337. On the other hand, the Samsung Galaxy S4 that Wind offers is the SGH-M919V. The difference between the two, relevant to yourself is that the SGH-i337 does not have the Wind compatible UMTS ('3G') band/frequency (band 4 or 1700/2100 MHz). The SGH-i337 does have 2100MHz as a UMTS frequency; however, it is on band 1 and not compatible with band 4. While that phone does have band 4 on LTE, it will not work across networks on UMTS.

If your version of the S4 is indeed the SGH-i337, you will have to get a different phone if you intend to switch to Wind.

With regards to unlocking, it's possible it was unsuccessful because your phone couldn't recognise the different provider since it couldn't access the network information. You might consider trying a different SIM from a different provider.

Hope this helps:smileyhappy:

Cheers

FidoMaria
Former Moderator

Hi @kairu00 & welcome to the Community! 

Let's take a look at your account to see if you were given the right code; I'll send you a private message.

Talk to you soon! Smiley