dpop681
I'm a Participant Level 1

marshmallow for s5

hi,

so according to the table no marshmallow for s5

7 REPLIES 7
tcartr
I'm a Contributor Level 2

Yes you are correct, and moto e a phone you can get for $80 outright locally now getting it's marshmallow update at Telus, Koodo, Videotron and Wind. Yes a dirt cheap phone and the outrageously price S6 not a sniff.
tcartr
I'm a Contributor Level 2

Marshmallow for S5, lol what a joke the update schedule here for last year flagship S6 still sits blank. Here is a wager will Fido's S6 get marshmallow before a Nexus get Android N? my bet is on the Nexus getting N. The development team here can't even add date even if they have to move it. No more Samsung and no more Fido for me.
zyx
I'm Qualified Level 2
I'm Qualified Level 2

Samsung did Android customization the Wrong Way™; their modifications are deep, and any update is always going to require a lot of resources to adapt and test. Plus, they have a gazillion models.

By opposition, Motorola did it the Right Way™; the modifications to the base Android system are minimal, most of what they did is they have added apps, which are on Google Play so they can be updated outside of the Android release cycle.

If quick updates are important to someone, Samsung does not get a good score on that front. I had Marshmallow on my Nexus 5 back in November, when S6 owners were struggling to get 5.1.

Cawtau
Senior MVP

**Update**

Great news!! Samsung has finally begun releasing Marshmallow for the Galaxy S5 (see here). Although it will still likely be a couple of months before we actually see the update, the ball has started to roll Smiley

Cheers

Thats only for the South Korean version the W8 which is for Canada is still in development. Maybe a couple more months then who knows if and when the carriers will release it.

@KAPABLE-K wrote:

Thats only for the South Korean version the W8 which is for Canada is still in development....

Hello,

We are well aware that the release was for the South Korean version. The fact that there is any version released is progress!

Cheers

KAPABLE-K
MVP

According to Samsung its still in development so we are not sure of the release date.

You can see here.

Once Samsung releases the update we will still have to wait for the carriers to release it.