lost of extended coverage

Tivan
I'm a Contributor Level 1

I recently upgraded my iPhone 6 to iPhone 7 plus. I pass my iPhone 6 to my husband. Every weekend we spend in cottage where Fido extended are working. Before we never had, any problems with Fido extended not on my iPhone 6, not on his previous iPhone 4. We use our phones just occasionally and we have good plans. However, after switching phones my husband lost connection to Fido extended. In city his connection is normal.

We went to Fido local office twice. They changed SIM cart in his phone, checked his account, checked his iPhone settings. Everything supposed to work but in cottage, he still did not have connections.

Maybe anybody know how to resolve that issue?

12 REPLIES 12
Cawtau
Senior MVP

Hello Tivan,

Welcome to the community!

Hmm, that's strange since extended coverage used to work with both your old iPhones. If no one else has any ideas, the next time you're at the cottage, you might consider trying to swap SIMs in your phones. If your husband's SIM connects to Fido-EXT with your iPhone 7+ and your SIM does not connect anymore in your iPhone 6, that would suggest the issue is with some setting in the iPhone 6. On the other hand, if your husband's SIM still does not connect to Fido-EXT in your new phone and you are still able to connect using your old phone, that would suggest the issue is related to his SIM or account -- even though he has already changed SIMs and they checked his account... Did they re-send or reset the network settings to the phone?

I understand you only use your phones occasionally, however, are you sure usage on the extended network did not exceed 50%? If your husband doesn't regularly use the phone in the city (Fido/Rogers network), and only occasionally at the cottage, that would still possibly exceed allowed usage.

Alternatively, are the areas your husband frequents in the city covered by the Fido/Rogers networks? Extended coverage isn't just outside of the city, it's outside of Fido/Rogers coverage (within coverage of the other roaming agreement networks). If he works or goes to school (or whatever) in an area outside of Fido/Rogers coverage, that could also account for exceeding extended coverage usage even though those areas might be within city limits. You can get an idea of where the cellular towers are in your area here.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Tivan

Hello ,

Today we switched SIM cards and my husband went to cottage with my iPhone 7 but with his SIM card to check if problem with iPhone 6 itself. He did not had Fido-EXT, only LTE. He could send and receive messages. Probably antenna in iPhone 7 was good enough to be connected by LTE. However, he could not call.

I do not think that he could use more than 50%. Usually during weekend, he receives 1-2 phone calls from city. Roaming is off. No other eating services or adds. Other reason is that all problems starts with switching phones. Before he had iPhone 5 for 1.5 year and 50% was never an issue.

Even in cottage, we are inside of coverage map.

Worst part is that our multiple visits to Fido office or phone calls to Fido did not give us any hope to resolve that problem. It looks like people working there do not know there system or devices.

Hello again,

Thank you for the additional information. A couple of things to note...

When you noted roaming is off, were you referring to roaming data or is there also a separate roaming setting? If the device has a separate roaming setting, roaming needs to be enabled to access Fido-EXT (you're actually roaming on the other networks).

Additionally, when you had your SIM in the iPhone 7 at the cottage, was it able to connect to Fido-EXT or LTE as well? Access to the extended network would usually only be available where there is no Fido/Rogers signal. If the phone able to access LTE, I don't think it would be able to connect to Fido-EXT.

The LTE network is strictly for data. With the exception of voLTE (voice over LTE), voice calls are exclusively transmitted via the 2G and '3G' networks. When in standby, the phone would connect to the best data connection available and then would switch networks when voice calls are made or received.

The frequencies used for LTE are different than those used for UMTS(WCDMA) and GSM ('3G' and 2G, respectively). You can verify the bands/frequencies here. Except for bands 12 and 17 (700 MHz), the lower frequencies of '3G'/2G have a better penetrative ability and can travel farther than the higher frequencies used for LTE (see graphic here). In your case, it's possible that the location of your cottage is beyond the reach of 2G and/or '3G' but is within reach of LTE bands 12 or 17. That would explain why the phone has access to LTE but not able to make/receive calls.

You might consider disabling LTE on the phone. With LTE disabled and no access to the other networks the phone might be able to connect to Fido-EXT.

I understand the coverage map might show your cottage as covered. Unfortunately, those maps are not accurate and do not account for real-world variations. Many factors can affect signals from reaching the phones -- including proximity to cellular towers and interference caused by obstructions between the cellular and the device (see here).

Did your old iPhone 6 also connect to LTE at the cottage? You might also consider disabling LTE in that phone as well.

If your phones do have access to LTE at the cottage (but not the other networks or Fido-EXT), the other option might be to enable voLTE (or possibly even Wifi-calling) on those devices.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Tivan

Hello Cawtau,

Thank you for interesting links and information about networks. It is very useful but not in my case.

I used that iPhone 6 without any problems in the same cottage with the same settings for 1.5 years. Two weeks ago phone changed owner and SIM card. Everything else are still the same except connection.

You asked about Fido-EXT and LTE. In cottage on top of my screen in iPhone 7+  I have:

ooooo Fido-EXT LTE

And no problem with connection for me.

I always keep Roaming Off in my iPhones 4s; 6; 7+ and have connection with Fido-EXT. Maybe we mean different sings. I put “Roaming Off” in Settings – Cellular – Cellular Data Options. Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you for all ideas and help. Until weekend we are in stan by mode Smiley

@Tivan wrote:

You asked about Fido-EXT and LTE. In cottage on top of my screen in iPhone 7+  I have:

ooooo Fido-EXT LTE

And no problem with connection for me.

Hello again,

Thanks for providing additional information. That would suggest that when your SIM is in the iPhone 7+, you're connected to the LTE network on the other towers (ie Bell, Telus...). However, from what I am understanding, when your husband's SIM in the same phone he gets connected to the LTE network on Fido/Rogers towers. I assumed your husband get ooooo Fido LTE when he used your phone.

To be honest, if that is the case, I'm not sure why his SIM connects to Fido while your SIM connects to Fido-EXT in the same phone. The SIMs should not affect the strength of the phone's antennae. If it connects to Fido LTE with his SIM, it should also connect to Fido LTE with your SIM -- in which case, you wouldn't likely connect to Fido-EXT either...

@Tivan wrote:

I always keep Roaming Off in my iPhones 4s; 6; 7+ and have connection with Fido-EXT. Maybe we mean different sings. I put “Roaming Off” in Settings – Cellular – Cellular Data Options. Am I doing something wrong?

No, you're not doing anything wrong. Some older versions of android had separate roaming and roaming data options. I wasn't sure if iOS introduced a separate roaming setting in their newer versions of the software. You are correct, you do not need to enable roaming data unless you intend on using data on Fido-EXT.

I'm curious... Does your husband still have his iPhone 4? If he does, what happens when he uses his SIM back in that phone?

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Tivan

Hello Cawtau

My husband kept all phones (Nokia, Samsung, Sony...). iPhone 4s and 5 he even recharging sometimes.

We will play with it during weekend.

Hello @Tivan you need to enable roaming  and disable VoLTE or just disable LTE  when you are at the cottage and you should be able the connect to the extended network and make calls. 

The phone is giving VoLTE  priority and VoLTE is not available in the extended network so you can try disabling VoLTE and you should be able to make and receive calls when you are at the cottage. 

Tivan

Hello

I never saw VoLTE in my phone. We will try to disable LTE in iPhone 6 during weekend.

Thanks!

@Tivan try it and let me know if it worked or not.

Check here to see how to enable and disable VoLTE

Tivan

Hello

Thank you. I will try it on Saturday.

FidoPierre

Hey @Tivan

Welcome to the Community! 

Do you know if your husband received any kind of text message notification or call about most of his usage being done primarily on the extended network? 

This option is used as a way to help out when you're visiting areas that do not regularly have a Fido coverage, but if more than 50% of your usage is being done on the Fido Extended network, the service would be blocked. You can check out more details about this on this thread here

More information about the Extended Coverage can be found here as well. I hope this helps! Smiley 

Tivan

Hello FidoPierre,

Thank you for information. I do not think 50% was an issue.