iPhone service in Cuba

iPhone service in Cuba

iPhone service in Cuba

SOLVED
SkGold
I'm a Participant Level 3

iPhone service in Cuba

Hello,

I am going to Varadero, Cuba for one week. Just want to know if my iPhone plan (including internet connection) will work there? Do I need to do anything?

Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Re: iPhone service in Cuba

Solved by Senior MVP Senior MVP

@Bronwen wrote:

I can't seem to find any information on the travel pack for Cuba...I have the pulse plan, but Cuba is not on the included or excluded list.

Hello Bronwen,

Welcome to the community!

I do not believe Cuba is available in the travel packs anymore. Cuba is a premium destination and I think your only option is to roam on a pay-per-use basis.

Cuba.jpg

Taken from here.

**edit** You should note that your phone may or may not be compatible with the network in Cuba.

Cuba 2.jpg

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
12 REPLIES 12
Bronwen
I'm a Participant Level 1

I can't seem to find any information on the travel pack for Cuba...I have the pulse plan, but Cuba is not on the included or excluded list.

@Bronwen wrote:

Hello Bronwen,

Welcome to the community!

I do not believe Cuba is available in the travel packs anymore. Cuba is a premium destination and I think your only option is to roam on a pay-per-use basis.

Cuba.jpg

Taken from here.

**edit** You should note that your phone may or may not be compatible with the network in Cuba.

Cuba 2.jpg

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

jopie50
I'm a Participant Level 2

Going to cuba this week, don't see cuba anywhere?

Rezaroh

I used my IPHONE iN my last week trip to Cuba.

Strongly recommened do not waste your money! Data service in resorts around Varadero works only early in the morninig and late midnight! I didn't have serious problem for call roaming but data? forget it and do not waste your time to recieve and send data and surfing webpages! 

In Havana? It is reasonable!I   Varadero resorts? Just waste time and money! Check the data rate in resorts,may be better and cheapest way to access internet.

Reza

We have 1 carrier partner in Cuba, it's Cubacel, the service we offer there is 2G only.

It will work perfectly fine for calls and texts, but data (browsing) will be slow.  

Hope this helps Smiley 

FidoAmanda
Former Moderator

Hey guys! 

I know this thread is a bit old but I thought I would provide some updated information in case anyone were to have a similar question about roaming usage in Cuba. Smiley

I am happy to announce that we now offer a new travel pack which covers talk, text, and data usage performed while roaming in Cuba! You can view the details here: 

http://www.fido.ca/web/content/coverageroaming/roaming_intl_talktextdatatravelpack

Hope this helps!

jcheung123

How is the reception in Holguin , Cuba.  I have an android phone, does it work well with this new cuba package.  Have anyone use this package while in Cuba

FidoStephen
Community Manager

Hi SkGold, and thank you for your post 10yearfido!

One thing to note is that text messaging while roaming in Cuba is only available on a pay-per-use basis and is not included in any of the Travel Packs. The rate is $0.75 per text message sent (to any mobile number). Incoming text messages from other mobile phone numbers are free of charge even while roaming.

Hope this helps!

SkGold
I'm a Participant Level 3

Thank you FidoStephen and 10yearfido for explanation and suggestions.

FidoStephen, I am using Email to Text service and I am getting notifications from Fido that I need reply with ‘Read’ to read my message. Will Fido charge me $0.75 every time I will reply with ‘Read’?

Hey jcheung123,

Great question! Does anyone out there know? 

FidoJudhy
Former Moderator

Hey SkGold,

Yes, the $0.75 per message fee will apply. I would therefore suggest that you use an internet connection (not on your phone, on a computer), if you can find one, to read them on Fido.ca instead.

I hope this clarifies Smiley

10yearfido
I'm an Expert Level 2

Your phone should work fine down there, but you will want to check here for rate details:

https://www.fido.ca/web/page/portal/Fido/CoverageSupport?forwardTo=linkToInternational#intlrates

You may have to call Fido to ensure roaming is enabled on your account, depending on your credit history and history with Fido. Also, you should look into any roaming packages that Fido offers, because the pay per use rates are astronomical. $4/minute talk, $0.75/text and $30/MB for data. You could easily end up with a bill the size of a large mortage payment from fairly casual usage and into the tens of thousands for very careless heavy usage. Their roaming packages for Cuba aren't cheap, but they are cheaper than a new car or an accidentally high roaming bill. 

if you have an unlocked phone you could look into getting a prepaid card from cubacel while you are down there.