iPhone X

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 2 etalon16g
I'm a Participant Level 2

iPhone X

I was told by customer service that Fido does not plan on carrying the iPhone x because internal research shows that there wouldn't be enough demand. This is a joke right?... 

Accepted Solution

Re: iPhone X

Hey everyone!

It’s official: There will be an opportunity for Fido customers to reserve iPhone X for in-store pick-up starting on Nov. 1. Fido customers will be able to reserve iPhone X through our reservation system and pick their device up in-store when it is ready for collection.

Customers can also purchase the device from one of our partners like Best Buy or Apple.

Our customers expressed strong interest in the device and we’re delighted to now be carrying it Smiley

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 306
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 3 Gmas
I'm a Participant Level 3

7 pages now of customers who are upset at Fido's decision not to carry the X. And these are just the people who have decided to post here....likely a tiny fraction of the many more Fido users who feel the same way. Yet research shows there's not enough "demand". Right. Again, clearly just a PR spin to try and migrate people over to more expensive Rogers plans.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 71 of 306
Highlighted
I'm Experienced Level 2
I'm Experienced Level 2

@Gmas

I 100% agree with you and its extremely frustrating!

I really do hope that Fido changes their position on this as it seems like demand is extremely high.

However maybe because Rogers owns Fido, they want the flagship phone for the Tier 1 carrier for now, and thus if customer switch due to this maybe that's ok with them.

I do believe Fido as the Tier 2 carrier under Rogers will eventually carry it but unfortunately we do not have insight into management strategy or inventory.

We can only wait and see what happens.  

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 72 of 306
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 3 Gmas

@jlits

Oh absolutely that's what they're trying to do. My big problem is their communication around it all. At this point I don't think anyone believes the "lack of demand" reasoning, and people don't like being lied to. To the point that many will now make a specific point of NOT migrating to Rogers because of it.

That's fine if Rogers wants to make Fido the value brand, and keep Rogers as the premium brand, but there's a better way of bringing people over. How about creating a special loyalty offer for Fido customers who want an X or Note 8? Ackowledging that they've chosen to keep those phones to the premium Rogers brand, but also want to respect long-term loyalty and find a way to bring Fido customers who want those phones over to Rogers. But nope....

I mean eventually, all iPhones will be X-style variants, and Fido will carry them. But all these customers will be long gone, and good luck getting them back.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 73 of 306
Highlighted
I'm Experienced Level 2
I'm Experienced Level 2

@Gmas

I definitely understand what you are saying and just hopeful Fido does carry it soon! 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 74 of 306
Highlighted
I'm a Contributor Level 1 Francisstl
I'm a Contributor Level 1

I found out today that one of the value brands that was not going to carry iPhone X has done a 180 and will be carrying it. 

Let’s hope that Fido changes their minds as well before pre-order time forces us to switch! 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 75 of 306
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 3 bettyfrn

@Francisstl

i doubt that they will. I talked to a fido representative today and she said they won’t be carrying it.

my counteract is officially up with fido, my iPhone 6s Plus is payed in full. It was a nice 8+ years fido however I have no interest in any other phone, I’m switching over to Telus 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 76 of 306
Highlighted
I'm Qualified Level 1
I'm Qualified Level 1

Let's be honest here.  Whether FIdo decides to carry the iphone X or not has nothing to do with Fido. It is Rogers that decide what Fido will carry or not (Remember Fido is owned by Rogers).  If you want to scream and complain, go bark at Rogers.  Complaining here will do nothing for you other than getting laughed at.

Realisticaly the reson Rogers decide not to allow Fido to sell iphone X is probably because they make no money on it from the plans that FIdo is offering. Remember this apple "bully" company does not give cell phone carriers any incentives for selling their phones. In order for Fido to make money, subscribers will probably have to pay like upwards of $90 - $100 dollars a month for the service provider to break even. 

Heck. If you want the phone, buy it outright instead of joining an expensive plan to pay it off in 2 years. If you do the math for other cell phone providers, there is very little discount and incentives when it comes to late model iphones.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 77 of 306
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 1 TonyTran
I'm a Participant Level 1

Thank you all for comments

Despite after serveral years with Fido, 

I'll be switching to an other carrier.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 78 of 306
Highlighted

Hey @TonyTran

Welcome to the Community. 

We would hate to see you leave us. Though we don't carry this phone, I would like to take a closer look at other options with you. I'll send you a PM right away. Smiley 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 79 of 306
Highlighted
I'm a Contributor Level 1 Francisstl
I'm a Contributor Level 1

@EFTC People aren’t barking.

They’re sharing dissatisfaction.

It’s a forum meant to open the dialog between Fido and it’s customers, so people are using it to do just that.

Judging by the over 10 000 views this thread has as well as the fact that typing Fido iPhone X in Google leads you here is an indication that people are actually looking for it.

Fido is Rogers, but Rogers’ forums or social media outlets are not the proper communication channel for this, so I disagree there as well.

As far as making money, I do not work for a telecom company nor do I know much about how their P&L works. All I can speak to is the customers’ side of things. And I would certainly pay the same amount as a plan from Rogers to get the X with a lower initial cost of entry. I suspect many are in the same situation. 

The great thing is that people are allowed to have different perspective on things, so I respect yours. I just disagree.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 80 of 306