iPhone X

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 2
I'm a Participant Level 2

iPhone X

I was told by customer service that Fido does not plan on carrying the iPhone x because internal research shows that there wouldn't be enough demand. This is a joke right?... 

Accepted Solution

Re: iPhone X

Hey everyone!

It’s official: There will be an opportunity for Fido customers to reserve iPhone X for in-store pick-up starting on Nov. 1. Fido customers will be able to reserve iPhone X through our reservation system and pick their device up in-store when it is ready for collection.

Customers can also purchase the device from one of our partners like Best Buy or Apple.

Our customers expressed strong interest in the device and we’re delighted to now be carrying it Smiley

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 306
Highlighted
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello EFTC,

While I do not disagree with your premise, you should note that Fido has changed their pricing structure slightly. At least in Ontario, the Large subsidy went from $25 to $30. If you do the math again, there is no discount on the phones.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 201 of 306
Highlighted
I'm a Contributor Level 1

@EFTC wrote:

The reason for the hudge price tag is because Fido (like most other carriers) are not providing any subsidy for getting apple products, especially when they are first released.  Why you might ask? Because Apple does not provide any incentive (i.e. subsidy) for cell phone carriers to pass on to customers. 

To break things down, think of the small, medium, and large plans as financing your phone. On top of your original cell phone plan, ou pay $10 more for small plan, $15 for meidum plan, and $20 for large plan.  With a 2 year contract, you pay: 

Small plan = (original cell phone plan) + $10 X 24 months = $240

Medium plan = (original cell phone plan) + $15 X 24 months = $360

Large plan = original cell phone plan) + $20 X 24 months = $480

Let's say the 256 GB iphone X cost $1529 (no plan) or $999 (large plan). If you go with the large plan, you pay $999 for the phone, plus $480 throughout your 2 years with a plan.  The math works out to that you pay $1479 for the 256 iphone X. The Fido subsidy will be ~ $50. (Math: $999 + 480 = $1479 -$1529 = $50).

For the 64 Gb iphone X, Fido subsidize ~ $40.

That math makes sense if the increase in the monthly plan is in fact $20 (for large). But in reality the difference is $30/month. so $30 x 24 = $720. Now if you add the cost of the device, $999 (in your example) you end up paying $1719 after 24 months. Which is $190 more than buying it outright. So forget being subsidized, you end up paying more. I would be fine if it were an extra $20/month which could be looked at as "financing" but this way you end up paying more. I guess the extra $190 could be looked at as "interest on financing"?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 202 of 306
Highlighted
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

@huzzing wrote:

That math makes sense if the increase in the monthly plan is in fact $20 (for large). But in reality the difference is $30/month. so $30 x 24 = $720. Now if you add the cost of the device, $999 (in your example) you end up paying $1719 after 24 months. Which is $190 more than buying it outright. So forget being subsidized, you end up paying more. I would be fine if it were an extra $20/month which could be looked at as "financing" but this way you end up paying more. I guess the extra $190 could be looked at as "interest on financing"?

Hello Huzzing,

Welcome to the community!

To clarify, Canadian mobile providers do not offer financing - they offer subsidised plans and devices. I understand the use of the term subsidise in the context of subsidised devices is very different from the other definition (see here), but that is the term the industry chose.

If you see some of my earlier responses to Trinibuoy's comments (around page 4), financing the phone involves dividing the total cost of the phone over 24 months. This is not the case. To my knowledge, none of the Canadian mobile providers offer financing. Rather, subsidised phones are either free upfront, or sold at a discount. The remaining balance of the phone is paid over the period of the contract (24 months). The additional cost is not interest, it's the result of subsidised model. Unlike the finance model, the cost of subsidised plans does not decrease once the device has been fully paid. Once your contract is completed, you may choose to switch to an in-market BYOP plan, but it might not have the same features as your original contract plan.

I understand it's a common misconception (see here). However, it is the framework of the Canadian wireless industry.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 203 of 306
Highlighted
I'm Qualified Level 1
I'm Qualified Level 1

You are correct. It seems that you have to pay $30 extra on top of the phone plan for a large plan.  Another poster already mentioned the updated cost of iphone X ownership for a large plan so I won't repeat myself anymore.

In summary, do the math before you make a purchase. Lastly, it is always "better" to buy a late model phone outright than to sign up for a 2 year contract just to get the phone at a lower price. Of course, if you are like me who doesn't need the latest and greatest, you can score big with Fido subsidy. Example: Many years ago I paid  $0 for a 2 year "smart" plan subscription (in today's term it is the "small" plan). In other words, I have to pay $240 for a 2 year subscription, but Fido let me part way with a $600 dollar phone free of charge. I hold onto the phone for 2 years and traded it in for a $9 dollar gift card at Best buy. 

In other words, you can win with contracts.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 204 of 306
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 3

I set my alarm for 3:57am Pacific time.  Logged in and the device reservation was already live, go the email confirmation at 3:58am.

iX 256GB silver - position 19 (but then moved to poition 18 shortly after that when I checked.  I guess someone changed their mind!  Prob won't matter though.  They probably do batches of dozens of these at a time.  That's been my experience in the past)

Disappointed the way this happened with Fido though.  They were the only big carrier not to offer the iPhone X, and then later in the day (many hours after pre orders started on Apple.com and everywhere else) they changed their mind and there was already a 5-6 week wait to order the phone.  It's just a phone - not the end of the world.  But it's one of about 2-3 things I splurge on in a year and get really excited about to get.  So it just took away from a usually enjoyable experience.  Hopefully they get some device reservations processed quickly, but I guess it could be a few days after launch until we see any movement due to how late in the game they jumped in.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 205 of 306
Highlighted
I'm a Contributor Level 2

I also find it a bit silly they are only offering full price or large plan subsidy. 

Fido has really dropped the ball with the iPhone X launch, I am a bit disappointed things considered with them as of late. 

Hoping for a better 2018 . 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 206 of 306
Highlighted

@NauticalDan wrote:

I set my alarm for 3:57am Pacific time.  Logged in and the device reservation was already live, go the email confirmation at 3:58am.

iX 256GB silver - position 19 (but then moved to poition 18 shortly after that when I checked.  I guess someone changed their mind!  Prob won't matter though.  They probably do batches of dozens of these at a time.  That's been my experience in the past)

Disappointed the way this happened with Fido though.  They were the only big carrier not to offer the iPhone X, and then later in the day (many hours after pre orders started on Apple.com and everywhere else) they changed their mind and there was already a 5-6 week wait to order the phone.  It's just a phone - not the end of the world.  But it's one of about 2-3 things I splurge on in a year and get really excited about to get.  So it just took away from a usually enjoyable experience.  Hopefully they get some device reservations processed quickly, but I guess it could be a few days after launch until we see any movement due to how late in the game they jumped in.

That is pretty impressive. You woke up, logged on, placed your order, and got the email confirmation all within a minute! It usually takes me more than a minute just to hit snooze on my alarm Very_Happy

I'm wondering if the position it gives you is based on the model itself. I completed my order at 6:57 ET and was number 19 for the grey 64GB. I'm assuming that means there are 18 other orders of identical models in front of me, and not 18 TOTAL orders that include different models.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 207 of 306
Highlighted

Just talked to a fido store manager in calgary who is very confident that all the fido preorders will be cancelled. And Fido will not sell tthe iPhone X. I showed her the email I got with the reservation. Moderators, what is happening with Fido customer service. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 208 of 306
Highlighted
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

@arvindkanchi

There's a huge amount of excitement around the iPhone X! 

We heard you guys and noted the strong interest you all had in that phone and now we're more than delighted to be carrying it.

As soon as your device is ready for in-store pick-up, we’ll notify you.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 209 of 306
Highlighted

Pre ordered iPhone x through Apple on oct 27, coming 21 november

i found out Fido will be getting pre orders today!! So I jumped on it but I’m 215 in line for a 64 go space grey.

how does this queue work? It is by city? Or for all of Canada?

what are my chances of getting it on launch day or sooner than the Apple pre order?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 210 of 306