iPhone X

I'm a Participant Level 2 etalon16g
I'm a Participant Level 2

iPhone X

I was told by customer service that Fido does not plan on carrying the iPhone x because internal research shows that there wouldn't be enough demand. This is a joke right?... 

Accepted Solution

Re: iPhone X

Hey everyone!

It’s official: There will be an opportunity for Fido customers to reserve iPhone X for in-store pick-up starting on Nov. 1. Fido customers will be able to reserve iPhone X through our reservation system and pick their device up in-store when it is ready for collection.

Customers can also purchase the device from one of our partners like Best Buy or Apple.

Our customers expressed strong interest in the device and we’re delighted to now be carrying it Smiley

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 306
Highlighted
MVP
MVP

@jlits wrote:

... You launched the samsung galaxy S8 and S8 plus those are Samsungs top of the line phones! So not sure why you wouldnt for the iphone X....

Hello Jlits,

Yes, Fido launched the Galaxy S8 and S8+. I'm sure you're also aware that Fido has also decided to carry the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8+. Those are Apple's top of the line phones. What you did not mention, however, is that they also decide not to carry the Note 8. Fido is not playing favourites

There is little doubt that the iPhone X will be a popular device -- in some circles. Similarly, there is little doubt that the Samsung Note 8 will also be a popular device in different circles. However, I think the prohibitive factor in Fido's decision not to carry those devices is cost. The base cost of those devices is well above a thousand dollars. 

The current amount for Fido's large subsidy plan is 25 dollars. Over 2 years, the amount comes to $600. Easy math (not taking other factors into consideration) suggest the upfront cost of those devices to be roughly $700 -- for the base models. That's a significant sum of money compared to the iPhone 8+ and Galaxy 8+.

While there will be some people willing to pay that amount upfront, many customers certainly would not be willing or even capable of paying that amount.

Many people come to Fido because they can receive the same great service, but at a lower cost than Rogers. A lower plan rate does come at a cost, though. In part, that cost is reflected in a smaller selection of phones. Increasing selection necessarily increases a company's overhead, which in turn would inevitably to lead to higher cost plans. I'm guessing your cheaper plan is contributing factor as to why you want to stay with Fido. You noted that you would simply renew your plan with Fido. How much subsidy does your current plan have? Would you be willing to pay more per month as well?

The argument will be made that the other providers (Rogers in this case because they're the only company to have released prices that I can find) are able to provide it for a more reasonable amount. However, their plans also cost significantly more. That is, they contain more subsidy.

It's not about perceived consumer trends, it's about their customer base. This reminds me of my No Frills and Loblaws analogy...  They have many of the same items but they are generally cheaper at No Frills. Some people like Loblaws for their additional selection of products and services ie No Frills won't bag your groceries for you. No Frills stocks most of what the average customer wants. People go to No Frills because they are generally cheaper than Loblaws. They don't go there expecting the same wide-ranging product selection as Loblaws.  I'm pretty sure No Frills won't be willing to order stock of a specialty olive oil for even their most loyal of customers. If someone wants a specialty olive oil, they will go to Loblaws or other speciality shop. 

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 16 of 306
I'm a Participant Level 1 PFCHudson
I'm a Participant Level 1

Please count me as another customer dissatisfied with your decision to not include the upcoming Apple iPhone X in your inventory. I was looking forward to signing a new 2 year contract with Fido and purchasing this phone. I will continue to watch for updates but I will not be upgrading until something changes on your inventory end. Thanks.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 17 of 306
Former Moderator FidoCatherine
Former Moderator

Hey there @Luvdestiny

We'd hate to see you go because of this matter!

I'll send you a PM to go over your options together Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 18 of 306
I'm Experienced Level 2
I'm Experienced Level 2

I would also like to know what options @FidoCatherine are available, and whether the team at Fido has reversed there decision not to carry the Iphone X! 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 19 of 306
Former Moderator FidoManuel
Former Moderator

By options we were referring to a different model. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 20 of 306
I'm a Participant Level 1 ShaneBowley

Looks like I'll be switching to bell in November when my contract is done. Say good-bye to a customer of 10 years fido. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 21 of 306

Hey @ShaneBowley

We would hate to see you go.

At the same time, I can't really offer you that phone since we simply don't have it.

If you want to go over your upgrade options, don't hesitate to let us know. We will send you a PM to get this looked into Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 22 of 306
I'm a Participant Level 3 bettyfrn
I'm a Participant Level 3

I was disappointed to find out that they wouldn’t be having the IPhone X. I don’t know why they think people would only want to get the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus when there’s not much of a big difference between them and the IPhone 7 generation. I’ve been with fido for 8 years now however luckily for me my contract ends 1 day before the iPhone X is available for pre order which will make switching companies a breeze 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 23 of 306
I'm a Participant Level 2 Rogersyam

@Cawtau

I can't believe how you're trying to spin this. Telus has the iPhone X coming with a 2 year plan at 95.00 p/m and pay 600.00 for the phone and that's the cheaper one. Well I pay 95.00 p/m now with fido and I've been with fido for 19 years! But yet I can walk into telus and do this deal.

trust me 100% if fido doesn't get the iPhone X and at the very least match telus, then I'm gone and won't be looking back. Kind of like having a new hotter girlfriend and forgetting about the ex... 

So go ahead and try to be a spin doctor all you want while customers walk out the door.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 24 of 306
MVP
MVP

Hello Rogersyam,

Welcome to the community!

There is no spin. Did anyone notice when Fido streamlined their subsidy options, they got rid of the Plus35? Currently, the Large subsidy is $25. They likely removed the option because most of their customers were not taking advantage of a subsidy of that magnitude. They also likey determined the Large subsidy to be $25 (rather than $30 or $20) because most of their customers opted for Plus25 when given the option.

The Telus plan you noted has the same amount of data and unlimited Canada-wide calling as Fido's 3Gb plan (at least in Ontario). However, it costs more than Fido's Large subsidy plan. Sure, some people might be willing to pay more, but Fido restructured their subsidy offerings for a reason. Fido has a whole database of all customers and their chosen subsidy plans. When you streamline, you usually get rid of the least used options.

I understand you do now pay the same amount as the proposed Telus plan, but what are you getting for it? For simplicity's sake, I'll assume you're getting 6Gb (current in-market Ontario plans). Are you willing to reduce your data by half? Or are you willing to pay an extra $15 or $20 for a comparable amount of data? Point is, you're comparing different things.

As per my earlier analogy, some people might be willing to spend $50/ml for olive oil. Most people who shop at No Frills would not.

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 25 of 306
I'm Experienced Level 2
I'm Experienced Level 2

@FidoStephen @FidoCristina @FidoCatherine 

I know that Fido makes decisions based on demand and it seems after my original post that their are numerous people willing and eager to get the IphoneX. 

I do hope that Fido listens to what people are saying on these forms as it appears that a lot  of those writing will be willing to switch providers if Fido doesn't reverse their decision!

I myself am extremely disappointed about Fido's current position

Please Fido! Listen to your customers! 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 26 of 306
I'm a Participant Level 2 mike300zxt

Extremely disappointing if Fido is not carrying the premier iPhone.  I've been with Fido for ages.  Hate to switch, but...

Just signed up for pre-order notification at Telus for the iPhone X and Watch 3.  Hope Fido gets their dogs in a row!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 27 of 306
I'm a Participant Level 1 FadeF4i

This is ridiculous.  Whoever decided that Fido would not carry the top model iPhone should be fired immediatey.  It's just bizzare!  This policy will only cost you customers, me amongst them, and I don't see how not carrying the X serves to benifit you in any way.  I hope you come to your senses soon to save me the hassle of changing carriers, but I have already started researching my next cell phone provider.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 28 of 306
I'm a Participant Level 2 addicted

really dissapointed. I hope they carry the Iphone X else I have to start look for more options as well. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 29 of 306
I'm Experienced Level 2
I'm Experienced Level 2

I have no idea as well who decided not to carry the Iphone X, however i know that Koodo and Virgin will carry it who Fido competes again so I am really frustrated. 

I as well have started looking around at other carriers.....sad after 15 years....what a shame!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 30 of 306