iPhone 6 VoLTE/ HSPA problem

Deadjai
I'm a Participant Level 3

So I have a crazy problem that I want someone from the magical land of fidos network guys that you cannot talk to, to answer. Any input welcome tho.

I have an iPhone 6 Plus iOS 9.1 carrier 22.1 and a VoLTE plan.

First why does Fido keep telling me that Apple is responsible for making my phone accept VoLTE? VoLTE has been in USA for years and when you take any iPhone 5+ model phone there it works on VoLTE network. It is not the software it is Fido/Rogers having restrictive provisions on their networks. Have talked to Apple already and they confirmed this information. WHY ARE YOU ONLY ALLOWING IT ON IPHONE 6s/6s plus. Please someone answer? iPhone 5 supports VoLTE 3 years ago.... Seriously I will switch carriers because of this.

Second question

As per standard phones that do not support VoLTE yet, in this case many with this network... Our voice calls are over the 3G network. Why does my iPhone drop to HSPA when I'm on a voice call for over 5 minutes. Does the 3G network really suck that bad it cannot handle simultaneous voice and data? I have replaced iPhone,software update,started from scratch, changed sim, reset network signal you name it. Apple engineers couldn't help me with this issue I had to explain to them that this network is bogus. Once again WHY DOES THE NETWORK DROP TO HSPA. Telus and bell don't even have a HSPA network so they can at least provide a simultaneous voice and data over 3G. Why can't Fido and Rogers do this. Who seriously uses HSPA anymore why do they still use this network as a back up.

Yes these are very technical questions that's why I'm hoping someone from the "network side " of these companies can answer. Come on guys it's 2015 and Canada still has restrictions on phone plans. And got technical support staff know absolutely nothing. I have a rap sheet that's 10 pages long trying to find an answer to this.

***Edited to add labels***

12 REPLIES 12
Skywalkerblue06
I'm a Contributor Level 2

Hi, I dont have iphone I have lg g4 this phone is capable of Volte and my plan is capable for volte...but its not activate on fido but same phone working on rogers network with volte...fido have this phone for 4 month and they still didnt updated...fido should remember that we r paying highest wireless bill and still lousy to update there phone...carrier update fail Look at s6 update many ppl still have issue to use Volte...
Deadjai

Yeah sounds like they didn't fix the problem but make it less noticeable, Fido offered me a free cancellation to move to another phone company, but the only problem is Fido/Rogers usually get all the new features first such as VoLTE etc. Telus and bell take a while before they introduce new services. Torn between the 2.
Deadjai

Because you can only do voice, data is unavailable during the phone call. No safari no iMessage no email nothing that needs data works. And 2g is a voice only network. Only reason I could think of.
mike_from_ATT

2g can do data as well just not at the same time. You're probably right anyway though, the iphone doesnt show what network it is on when its not connected to cellular data - as would be the case with a 2G call, but could also be the case if the 3G network were acting up or you simply disabled your data.

I had the same probem with my Galaxy S6 the data would cut out as soon as i'm in a call, After contacting Fido a few times they did something and it started to work.

I get the same excuse the problem is with Samsung but when I ask then how come iPhone users is having the same issue is it Samsung doing it? The problem can not be the manufacture when do diffrent operating systems is having the exact problems. Even with the fix they had for the S6 I still receive delayed text and sometimes I get the same text multiple times. Now I notice when i'm on a call all off a sudden the call would drop and I  a really painful high pitch noise.

I'm aslo exploring other options for my 4 lines that I have with Fido.

Deadjai

I ment 2g sorry realized after the post. And on iPhone it doesn't really say 2g it just shows nothing beside the carrier name. No 3G no LTE it's just bars and Fido

@Deadjai wrote:
I ment 2g sorry realized after the post. And on iPhone it doesn't really say 2g it just shows nothing beside the carrier name. No 3G no LTE it's just bars and Fido

Hello,

Okay, fair enough. How do you know it's 2G then if iPhones don't show anything?

Cheers

Deadjai

By HSPA I mean 2G network to be specific
mike_from_ATT

@Deadjai wrote:

HSPA = 3G

2G is edge, denoted as an E on the iphone

To me, the real problem is simply that Fido/Rogers is not allowing 6/6+ phones on VoLTE, which is unfortunate because they are completely capable of it. I understand the need to push sales of the newer models but this seems heavy handed to me. 

Besides the phone staying on LTE while you are on a call, instead of dropping to HSPA, the other advantage is when using wifi calling. Although soft handoffs between wifi and HSPA is possible, Rogers implementation allows soft handoffs between wifi and LTE. So, if you are on a call on wifi and move to an area without wifi, the call simply continues on LTE (assuming you are in an LTE area). When I am at work, I move in and out of my office quite a lot, often while on a call. But with wifi calling enabled (better sound) I am stuck. I cannot leave the office or I have to terminate the call and call back with wifi disabled otherwise when I walk out of the building the call will simply drop when I lose wifi. Far from ideal.

@Deadjai wrote:

Hello Deadjai,

Welcome to the forums!

Just to clarify, HSPA and HSPA+ are both data protocols on the '3G' or UMTS (WCDMA) network. So if your phone shows it is dropping to HSPA (H), then it's actually on the 3G network

I know you said you meant '2G network to be specific', but they're not really the same thing. So does your phone show it's on HSPA or 2G?

Cheers

Hey Deadjai! 

I'll look into this for you and I'll get back to you as soon as I have more info. Smiley 

Thanks!