iOS wifi calling

iOS wifi calling

iOS wifi calling

SOLVED
10yearfido
I'm an Expert Level 2

iOS wifi calling

With apple announcing wifi calling with iOS 8 and Rogers announcing they will support this feature, will fido also support it? I understand that Fido is now often treated as the ugly stepchild and left out of certain features (Rogers One Number for example) but since this is an OS feature, it'd be nice if we weren't left out in cold this time.

Accepted Solution

Re: iOS wifi calling

Solved by I'm a Contributor Level 2 KevinBroten

i called fido and it looks like on the 16th they will do a carrier update to enable wifi calling for pre-paid monthly users. It will use texts and talk time from plan.

I'm currently already running iOS 9.1 so hopefully I will get the service enabled quickly. 

I only get 2g at one bar in my apartment. and need to use wifi for data.

View solution in context
102 REPLIES 102
afterthefact
Fido Employee

Hello @Fayaz, welcome to the Fido Community!  What happens on your device when you enable the WiFi Calling feature?  Do you see any error messages on screen?  Do you get prompted to update your address for 911?   Please let us know exactly the steps you experience. 

KevinBroten
I'm a Contributor Level 2

Ya they mass sent everyones SMS with the notice of wifi calling
bettyfrn
I'm a Participant Level 3

I got a text message from Fido saying that we can now place calls over wifi
KevinBroten

@FidoKenny sadly the wifi calling is not truely free. It does not give free calls to numbers on the same account. All calls are billed no matter what. And every wifi calling call to local numbers says it is a long distance call when placed.
Pubert
I'm a Participant Level 1

I guess I was lucky yesterday. After I got the pop up to contact your carrier. I chatted with fido. They have added a code to my account. Restarted my iPhone. Worked like a charm.
KevinBroten

I finally managed to get the e911 registration page to open. I completed it. and submitted, and it said provisioning the phone for wifi calling. then once all and done. The "Wi-Fi Calling on This Phone" was still turned off.

And now I can't get the e911 page to load once again.

Hi KevinBroten,

it can take some time before it starts working once provisioned. Took about an hour to work on my phone once I did the e911 page. 

KevinBroten

The Wifi calling finally activated. I can now finally place calls with out hanging my cellphone out the bedroom apt window.

@KevinBroten wrote:

The Wifi calling finally activated. I can now finally place calls with out hanging my cellphone out the bedroom apt window.

Glad to hear that! Thanks for the update.

KevinBroten

Voice quality on Wifi Calling is 10x that I get on Cellular Voice. This service is great, especially when you live inside apartment blocks.

Only thing I wish we had we the "Wi-Fi Calling from other devices" service. In the USA on T-Mobile you can additionally connect to the WiFi Calling using facetime on iPad, iPod, iMac, and iWatch. Even when the iPhone is off. Sad

10yearfido
I'm an Expert Level 2

@KevinBroten wrote:

Voice quality on Wifi Calling is 10x that I get on Cellular Voice. This service is great, especially when you live inside apartment blocks.

Only thing I wish we had we the "Wi-Fi Calling from other devices" service. In the USA on T-Mobile you can additionally connect to the WiFi Calling using facetime on iPad, iPod, iMac, and iWatch. Even when the iPhone is off. Sad

I haven't done it from my iPad or when my iPhone is off, but my Mac can make calls in Facetime using my phone. If I get around to updating my iPad to iOS 9 I'll try from there too and then when my phone is off.

10yearfido
I'm an Expert Level 2

Working for me now too. Thanks guys.

Now, if you could get the engineering team to work on soft handoffs between wifi and cellular when moving between networks that would be great. Others have this working so it would be a nice way to complete the functionality.

10yearfido
I'm an Expert Level 2

@10yearfido wrote:

Working for me now too. Thanks guys.

Now, if you could get the engineering team to work on soft handoffs between wifi and cellular when moving between networks that would be great. Others have this working so it would be a nice way to complete the functionality.

Confirmed it only works from my Mac when my iPhone is turned on. Having said that, while Apple's site does say TMobile only, it also says El Captian is required which isn't out until next week (I think).

Mee123
I'm a Participant Level 2

Can confirm that Wifi calling is not available on iOS 9.1 Public Beta.  Carrier version fido 21.5 apparently doesn't allow it.  I'd love to try it if it was enabled, Fido. *hint hint*

KevinBroten

http://forums.fido.ca/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Smartphones/thread-id/24541

When connected to WiFi Calling you are billed for ALL minutes, this includes minutes that other wise are covered by circle calling feature.

Hey @KevinBroten, I already asked our team to look into this. I'll get back to you as soon as I have more info. 

GpH
I'm Helpful Level 2
I'm Helpful Level 2

@KevinBroten Well adamwood was getting pretty worked up about it. At least they've committed to supporting it, a lot of other carriers aren't even in the US.
jotremb
I'm a Participant Level 1

Can we have a status update on this issue? ETR? I'm having the same issue as state previously by the other members... (I do have the add-on added and showing in my profile)

Hey KevinBroten.

We're looking into it. We're currently gathering examples.

10yearfido
I'm an Expert Level 2

If this is a problem with the e911 registration not loading, as I've seen suggested, is their a page we can manually register it on our account? I expect that way, whatever check is failing when we try to enable it might pass, since the registration would be complete beforehand.