iOS wifi calling

iOS wifi calling

iOS wifi calling

SOLVED
10yearfido
I'm an Expert Level 2

iOS wifi calling

With apple announcing wifi calling with iOS 8 and Rogers announcing they will support this feature, will fido also support it? I understand that Fido is now often treated as the ugly stepchild and left out of certain features (Rogers One Number for example) but since this is an OS feature, it'd be nice if we weren't left out in cold this time.

Accepted Solution

Re: iOS wifi calling

Solved by I'm a Contributor Level 2 KevinBroten

i called fido and it looks like on the 16th they will do a carrier update to enable wifi calling for pre-paid monthly users. It will use texts and talk time from plan.

I'm currently already running iOS 9.1 so hopefully I will get the service enabled quickly. 

I only get 2g at one bar in my apartment. and need to use wifi for data.

View solution in context
102 REPLIES 102

Hey jotremb!

We're aware that some customers are experiencing issues enabling WiFi Calling and our technicians are investigating the cause and working on getting this resolved as soon as possible. 

I'll send you a PM so that I can forward them your example. 

KevinBroten
I'm a Contributor Level 2

@FidoAmanda Do you know if the technical issues are limited to a small customer base, or is a broader issue affecting all or many customers wishing to use the service?

It should also be noted that on a side issue to this, Carrier Fido 21.5 which is issued to iPhone users that are developers using iOS 9.1 Beta does not include the WiFi calling feature for the handsets. This means any developers and insider preview members can not access the service. They must downgrade to factory, and reinstall to 9.0 with carrier Fido 21.1 to access the features.

KevinBroten

@GpH I don't think anyone is all upset. We are just voicing the issue to Fido. They have had since ios8 when it should have launched to have figured things out. Fido needs us to give feedback when we can not activate a service. Else a all they can go by is that it has a low user base, not knowing that users aren't using the service due to technical issues.
KevinBroten

Has any iPhones been successfully added to wifi calling, or does every one have this issue?
GpH
I'm Helpful Level 2
I'm Helpful Level 2

Hey everyone, I know it's frustrating this new feature isn't working but I don't think it's worth getting all that upset about so quickly. Let's give them some time first to resolve it at least, it's the first day!
647nk

Yes still can't get wifi calling to work.
adamwood
I'm a Participant Level 1

Having massive issues trying to get wifi calling to work under ios 9 - same problem as everyone else.  "...contact your carrier" i had the "voWifi Fido" package added - which now starts to load a consent page but THEN still defaults to the "contact your carrier" error.
I've been on chat twice for over two hours and a phone call to Fido answers..who, ironically, had no answers.
Been told to call tech support as a next resort.  How ridiculous is this?  Do we have to start a Facebook rant to get this fixed or something?

KevinBroten

Same as 10yearfido the feature does not function, called in and after a long support call and tier 2 call I got a 24-48 hour escalation to fix.

Hey adamwood!

I answered your PM. Smiley

GpH
I'm Helpful Level 2
I'm Helpful Level 2

@FidoMaria Yes, unfortunately it still won't enable.
10yearfido
I'm an Expert Level 2

Same message for me. I've seen some comments elsewhere that some customers with older plans were told they would have to move to new more expensive plans (or trimmed back on features) that are in market to qualify for wifi calling.

Not impressed if that is true.

I called in and was not told anything like that, but they were unable to figure out the problem and said they would escalate it. I am to expect a call in the next 24-48 hours to see if it resolved itself. Won't be very happy if I hear I need to switch plans.

GpH
I'm Helpful Level 2
I'm Helpful Level 2

@KevinBroten like anyone is for going to use that name. The iPhone itself calls it "Wi-Fi Calling" so that's what it's called, period.
KevinBroten

I'm saying that "VoWifi Fido" is the service package name when talking to the reps when calling in. Most confuse it with you wanting to add the UMA service or don't know what you are talking about. As this is a new service.

VoWifi Fido is the name of the Addon that shows in My Account.

@GpH @10yearfido I'm sending you a private message!

Hey @KevinBroten @GpH and @647nk are you still having problems?

Let me know!

GpH
I'm Helpful Level 2
I'm Helpful Level 2

Same error for me. Got the carrier update, Wi-Fi calling menu appears but get the same message to contact your carrier.
647nk

Same message! as stated above

KevinBroten

Also if using the iOS 9.1 Beta with Carrier "Fido 21.5" the WiFi Calling feature is no longer available. It's only available on "Fido 21.1" and retail iOS 9.0

KevinBroten

also the correct name for calling over wifi for the iphone is.

VoWifi Fido - This is the service name.

This service is the addon for iPhone not to be confused with Wifi Calling. Which is a addon for UMA for select phones (mostly BB phones).

KevinBroten

Any one get carrier updates? It's past 10am pst. IOS 9 is available.
KevinBroten

iOS 9.1 (13B5110e) with Carrier (fido 21.5)  does not support WiFi Calling.

Factory Downgrade  using a restore IPSW to iOS 9 and delete Apple profiles for Betas, and Enterprise Profiles.

You will now have iOS 9 and Carrier 21.1 which does have WiFi Calling feature.

Then had to call in to support because no WiFi Calling SoC.