iOS wifi calling

iOS wifi calling

iOS wifi calling

SOLVED
I'm an Expert Level 2

iOS wifi calling

With apple announcing wifi calling with iOS 8 and Rogers announcing they will support this feature, will fido also support it? I understand that Fido is now often treated as the ugly stepchild and left out of certain features (Rogers One Number for example) but since this is an OS feature, it'd be nice if we weren't left out in cold this time.

Accepted Solution

Re: iOS wifi calling

Solved by I'm a Contributor Level 2 KevinBroten

i called fido and it looks like on the 16th they will do a carrier update to enable wifi calling for pre-paid monthly users. It will use texts and talk time from plan.

I'm currently already running iOS 9.1 so hopefully I will get the service enabled quickly. 

I only get 2g at one bar in my apartment. and need to use wifi for data.

View solution in context
102 REPLIES 102
I'm a Contributor Level 2

Can't configure E911 stage of the Wifi Calling.

Get the Error " To Allow Wi-Fi calling on this account, contact your carrier."

Called in to support and we have been trying to get past this point. No luck so far.

They escalated to Tier 2, which found a backend service issues. And they further escalated. 24-48hours est time for resolution.

@KevinBroten wrote:

They escalated to Tier 2, which found a backend service issues. And they further escalated. 24-48hours est time for resolution.

Ugh. 

I was really looking forward to this.

IMG_0002.PNG

They had to manually add SoC for WiFi Calling to my account on request. Was not automaticaly added. WiFi Calling now shows up on My Account as an Addon. But the above picture is what I still get when trying to activate.

Keep us posted!

Let us know how it goes KevinBroten!

Sad no update to enable wifi calling yet.

Model (ME493C/A),

iOS (13B5110e), 

Carrier (fido 21.5) 

Settings -> Phone still does not have option for WiFi Calling. Sad

@KevinBroten wrote:

Model (ME493C/A),

iOS (13B5110e), 

Carrier (fido 21.5) 

Settings -> Phone still does not have option for WiFi Calling. Sad

Even if you have the beta installed, I wouldn't expect them to push out the carrier update at least until iOS 9 is officially available, which won't be for a few hours.

I'm an Expert Level 2

So, um, still no information, one way or the other?

Come on guys, I can't think of any reason for a simple answer to take so long. It's yes, no, maybe. 

Ya I think Rogers+fido;s plan for wifi calling on iphone. was more a "lets say we will, then never do it. Just to get new Iphone 6 contracts. That sound good right?"

Doubt we will ever see the service, which really sucks because i'm in a low rise and have barely any service on wireless.

I'm a Contributor Level 1

@KevinBroten wrote:

Doubt we will ever see the service, which really sucks because i'm in a low rise and have barely any service on wireless.

I'm in the same situation, and I think the way they look at it is "These suckers will keep paying anyway".

I'm an Expert Level 2

Anything yet? I cannot imagine it can take any company this long, over 6 months, to come up with a yes or a no.

Guy Laurence wanted to improve customer service from the Nadir regime. This isn't a great example. The company had really dropped the ball on this.
I'm an Expert Level 2

From various reports on the interwebs it sounds like this is finally ready to go and will include Fido. Do you have any details on it yet, like whether it will be included in all plans or only in-market plans? Will there be any extra fees? Will wifi usage really deduct from our minutes and SMS buckets?

@10yearfido wrote:

From various reports on the interwebs it sounds like this is finally ready to go and will include Fido. Do you have any details on it yet, like whether it will be included in all plans or only in-market plans? Will there be any extra fees? Will wifi usage really deduct from our minutes and SMS buckets?

Hi 10yearfido, 

We’re always looking at new ways to improve the experience of our customers and deliver value but we can’t share details on products or services that haven’t been announced. 

I am also very excited if this is true, but at this moment, I have no information to share at all.

I suggest you watch out our fido.ca website, if there is any changes, fido.ca will be updated at first. 

So my iPhone is on iOS 9.1 was not wifi calling supposed to be launched for iOS 9.0

Or is Rogers/Fido doing the same thing as iOS 8 promiss and not going to actually launch the service AGAIN.

I have zero service or 2g 1 bar in my apartment, which I use my phone as only phone. I need this service to fix the fact I don't actually get Fido connection often. Do we need to call in and ask for a SOC for Wifi Calling? Or will it just show up when it does become available?

@KevinBroten wrote:

So my iPhone is on iOS 9.1 was not wifi calling supposed to be launched for iOS 9.0

Or is Rogers/Fido doing the same thing as iOS 8 promiss and not going to actually launch the service AGAIN.

I have zero service or 2g 1 bar in my apartment, which I use my phone as only phone. I need this service to fix the fact I don't actually get Fido connection often. Do we need to call in and ask for a SOC for Wifi Calling? Or will it just show up when it does become available?

Fido and Rogers both now finally have the details for iOS wifi calling on their websites:

http://www.fido.ca/web/content/coverage/wificallingfaq

But still no mention of when it is actually going to launch. I too have very poor signal strength in my house. It used to be so bad that I would forward all calls to my landline when I was at home but that quickly became too much bother. Now I just deal with the missed  calls. Having wifi calling would greatly mitigate the poor network in my area...

I really hope that (a) they aren't charging an extra monthly fee for this and (B) that they won't deduct the minutes or LD from my plan (actually, I have unlimited calling and LD in my plan anyway, but on principle I would prefer they not charge usage when the usage is using my internet connection which I pay for separately).

I'm an Expert Level 2

So, from reading over the FAQ, it unfortunately looks like they will indeed deduct cell minutes and texts from your bucket for calls/texts made over wifi.That's a shame.

On the plus side, there is no mention of a monthly fee and it looks like the won't charge roaming when using wifi calling outside of Canada. For the latter, I could never understand how any carrier could justify roaming charges for wifi usage, given that the location of a wifi network has no relationship to the cell network or roaming at all.

I'm Helpful Level 2
I'm Helpful Level 2

I think it's fair it still uses your minutes, I mean they still have to connect you to a physical line on the other end to the person you're calling.  Anyway, who doesn't have unlimited minutes on their plan nowadays?

i called fido and it looks like on the 16th they will do a carrier update to enable wifi calling for pre-paid monthly users. It will use texts and talk time from plan.

I'm currently already running iOS 9.1 so hopefully I will get the service enabled quickly. 

I only get 2g at one bar in my apartment. and need to use wifi for data.