iOS wifi calling

Service interruption

An update for our valued customers: We know you depend on us and on April 19, we let you down - for this we are truly sorry. You won’t be charged for your wireless services that were impacted on Monday, April 19. A credit equivalent to that day's wireless service fee will be applied to your May bill. This will be done automatically & no action is required by you.

Click here to read more

iOS wifi calling

iOS wifi calling

SOLVED
10yearfido
I'm an Expert Level 2

iOS wifi calling

With apple announcing wifi calling with iOS 8 and Rogers announcing they will support this feature, will fido also support it? I understand that Fido is now often treated as the ugly stepchild and left out of certain features (Rogers One Number for example) but since this is an OS feature, it'd be nice if we weren't left out in cold this time.

Accepted Solution

Re: iOS wifi calling

Solved by I'm a Contributor Level 2 KevinBroten

i called fido and it looks like on the 16th they will do a carrier update to enable wifi calling for pre-paid monthly users. It will use texts and talk time from plan.

I'm currently already running iOS 9.1 so hopefully I will get the service enabled quickly. 

I only get 2g at one bar in my apartment. and need to use wifi for data.

View solution in context
102 REPLIES 102
10yearfido
I'm an Expert Level 2

5 months.

Still nothing.

Hey gang. We’re always working to deliver the best wireless networks and enhanced voice services to our customers. Please stay tuned for updates.

10yearfido
I'm an Expert Level 2

@FidoStephan wrote:

Hey gang. We’re always working to deliver the best wireless networks and enhanced voice services to our customers. Please stay tuned for updates.

Come on Stephan, that's the exact non-answer, word for word, that Rogers/Fido has been copy/pasting into all of the social media feeds when asked about this. Do you have a real, substantive answer? Support was promised. Therefore it shouldn't be hard to provide an answer about the status. It's starting to seem a little sketchy, like a promise made without knowing whether you could or would actually support it.

xero9
I'm a Contributor Level 1

So I finally phoned Fido today (I've been putting it off) and started off by asking if they offered Wifi callings for iPhone yet (knew the answer already, but it was my angle)..  Guy says that it'd have to be an app I get from Apple, and that it probably wouldn't be reliable anyway because it might use my minutes without realizing.  Guy had NO clue what it was.  I explained it was a feature built into the iPhone 6 and T-Mobile in the US has had it for a few months and people liked it.  Anyway, told him I want to put a request in for consideration.  He put me on hold and did something..  Probably put me on hold and went to the bathroom or something, lol.

Anyway, if anyone else wants to take 5/10 minutes of their time, do the same.

someone
I'm a Participant Level 2

Just forget that Fido will support this!!  We use the same network, same hardware and pay the same plans as Rogers but like the first poster said...  Ugly Stepchild of Rogers...

BTW, I had my FIDO phone repaired a few years back and it came flashed with the ROGERS firmware so I don't believe the flashed firmware on phones matter - I don't know if iPhones have a difference anyways.  I am an android user at the moment.

Bert21
I'm a Participant Level 3

and I need wifi calling because the fido's network problem...  I don't see the logic behind of not supporting it...

KevinBroten
I'm a Contributor Level 2

I live in an apartment, my cell is the only phone. But I can't get cell reception. I have to be near the window or outside. I've been waiting for WiFi calling. I thought it is a featur of iOS 8. Same as cal Handoff to other devices. I can't Wifi call, an can't answer calls on OSX 10.10 or iPad etc. Is Fido blocking these features on us? Aren't they free iOS 8 features apple, why is the Fido not supporting it. These are key features to iOS 8.

xero9

@KevinBroten wrote:

I live in an apartment, my cell is the only phone. But I can't get cell reception. I have to be near the window or outside. I've been waiting for WiFi calling. I thought it is a featur of iOS 8. Same as cal Handoff to other devices. I can't Wifi call, an can't answer calls on OSX 10.10 or iPad etc. Is Fido blocking these features on us? Aren't they free iOS 8 features apple, why is the Fido not supporting it. These are key features to iOS 8.

If you have iOS 8 on your iPhone and iPad, you could leave your iPhone close to the window and use your iPad for phone calls.  Alternatively, if you have the OS X 10.10 Yosemite Developer Preview or Public Beta, you can accept phone calls on your Mac.

To do so, you need to go into Settings -> FaceTime, and enable it (on the phone) and FaceTime -> Preferences on your Mac.

This could work until if/when Fido ever offers proper wifi calling.

10yearfido
I'm an Expert Level 2

So, still no word? Yes, no, maybe?

4 months since this was announced by Apple and Rogers.

xero9

@10yearfido wrote:

I think it's just a pipe dream at this point.

What if everyone who cares/wants this phones in literally every day to inquire about the status of this service?  Will they notice then?

10yearfido
I'm an Expert Level 2

@xero9 wrote:

@10yearfido wrote:

I think it's just a pipe dream at this point.

What if everyone who cares/wants this phones in literally every day to inquire about the status of this service?  Will they notice then?

Probably not a bad idea. Also might help to pepper them on facebook and twitter.

10yearfido
I'm an Expert Level 2

I assume only if you inserted a US SIM. If you are roaming using your Fido SIM then no.
xero9

If Fido can offer this option in a reasonable amount of time and at a fare price (eg low monthly fee, but none of this "roaming" if used on wifi outside of Canada nonsense) before Koodo does, I will stay.

If Koodo offers this feature before Fido, I am done with you guys.

alirz1
I'm a Participant Level 3

No reason except greed to charge roaming fees with wifi calling!!! Fido's network is not being used any different when using wifi calling when travelling internationally!

These companies just want to screw customer's anyway possible.

10yearfido
I'm an Expert Level 2

@xero9 wrote:

If Fido can offer this option in a reasonable amount of time and at a fare price (eg low monthly fee, but none of this "roaming" if used on wifi outside of Canada nonsense) before Koodo does, I will stay.

If Koodo offers this feature before Fido, I am done with you guys.

A fair price would be no additional monthly cost, certain NEVER roaming for using wifi anywhere in the world and usage over wifi should not count towards your network talk time minutes or domestic long distance.

Heck, since the entire point is to alleviate load from the carrier network and help them fill holes of weak coverage, they should probably provide a monthly discount for those willing to help them out and enable wifi calling.

peekay

Wi-Fi Calling is not a new technology (just new to Apple) -- and Fido has supported Wi-Fi Calling as an Add On for quite sometime now, via a technology called UMA:

https://www.fido.ca/web/content/addon/fido_wifi

How Wi-Fi Calling will be enabled for iPhones is still an open question.  E.g., whether it will be available by default, or still requires an add-on, etc.

10yearfido
I'm an Expert Level 2

@peekay wrote:

Wi-Fi Calling is not a new technology (just new to Apple) -- and Fido has supported Wi-Fi Calling as an Add On for quite sometime now, via a technology called UMA:

https://www.fido.ca/web/content/addon/fido_wifi

How Wi-Fi Calling will be enabled for iPhones is still an open question.  E.g., whether it will be available by default, or still requires an add-on, etc.

There are different flavours of wifi calling. Some are hardware based (the old UMA Fido has supported) and some are software based. The wifi calling in iOS 8 is software driven. Fido has yet to say if they will support this.

With legacy UMA, there were many pricing policies that Fido had that just don't really translate these days, but we have no idea whether Fido will stick to these old archaic policies or move forward or even if they will support it at all. Policies like charging roaming if you use a wifi network that is outside of Canada (serious WTF?). Charging a monthly fee for the privilege of using UMA. Charging domestic long distance for calls over UMA. Deducting time used talking over UMA from your monthly allotment of minutes.

Now, given the primary advantage of wifi calling/UMA was to reduce the load on the carrier network and to allow users better signal in areas were the carrier has poor or unreliable coverage, it seems like the customer is asked to pay more to help the carrier. That makes no sense but that's the way it was. These days they barely even acknowledge they have wifi calling and it is still listed as a $5 add-on, which you pay so you can work around for their network problems, which you already pay to access. The calls consumer your data on your network but you are paying them for you doing them a favour? Awesome.

Anyway, my main question is simple: will Fido support the more modern falvours of wifi calling, like in iOS 8. Beyond that, what will the pricing and usage polices be?

peekay

@10yearfido wrote:

There are different flavours of wifi calling. Some are hardware based (the old UMA Fido has supported) and some are software based. The wifi calling in iOS 8 is software driven. Fido has yet to say if they will support this.

That is not correct.  UMA and "Wi-Fi Callling" are both marketing terms which mean the same thing, and which over the past several years have been implemented in software (on the phone side) using IMS over SIP.  So for example, older Android phones such as LG G2 can be upgraded to use Wi-Fi Calling via an OTA software update.  Similarly, older iPhones including the iPhone 4S will also be able to use Wi-Fi Calling with iOS 8.

For more info about UMA, see the following article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generic_Access_Network

Less
I'm a Participant Level 2

it is very difilclt for me to understand how something built in the phone that uses a service that has noting to do with fido could be controlled by fido, or any other cellphone provider for that matter. we should no have to way for fido or any other company to allow us to use this.

10yearfido
I'm an Expert Level 2

@peekay wrote:

@10yearfido wrote:

That is not correct.  UMA and "Wi-Fi Callling" are both marketing terms which mean the same thing, and which over the past several years have been implemented in software (on the phone side) using IMS over SIP.  So for example, older Android phones such as LG G2 can be upgraded to use Wi-Fi Calling via an OTA software update.  Similarly, older iPhones including the iPhone 4S will also be able to use Wi-Fi Calling with iOS 8.

For more info about UMA, see the following article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generic_Access_Network

Not sure how you think what you wrote differs from what I wrote. As you said, it's been implemented in software recently, which is what I said. Prior to that, it was tied to hardware, also what i said. And as I said, the UMA that Fido supported was tied to hardware, which is why only a very, very few of their handsets ever supported it.

Wifi calling today is software driven. Fido has made no announcements on supporting the software driven flavour of wifi calling that will be in iOS 8. Additionally, there is some speculation that the soft handoff feature that is not present in all implementations of wifi calling, will require specific hardware. WIthout it, soft hardoffs between wifi and cellular during a call won't be supported. That part might not be correct, but I have read it might be.

Also, it looks like wifi calling in iOS 8 will be limited to to 5C/5S and above, so not the 4S nor the 5 (which is bizarre because the 5 and the 5C are basically identical internally). 

peekay

Not sure how you think what you wrote differs from what I wrote. As you said, it's been implemented in software recently, which is what I said. Prior to that, it was tied to hardware, also what i said. And as I said, the UMA that Fido supported was tied to hardware, which is why only a very, very few of their handsets ever supported it.

I think you misunderstood.  

As I wrote, UMA today is implemented using IMS+SIP, which is a standard Voice-over-IP (VOIP) protocol.  Prior to that, UMA was still software/firmware, but the implementation used GSM over IP instead of IMS.

I believe Rogers has supported the "new" IMS based UMA since at least 2012, and they've confirmed support for iOS 8.

So any Wi-Fi Calling limitations would be a business (policy) decision on the part of Rogers/Fido,  rather than a technology issue (hardware vs software, protocol limitations, etc.)