iOS wifi calling

Service interruption

An update for our valued customers: We know you depend on us and on April 19, we let you down - for this we are truly sorry. You won’t be charged for your wireless services that were impacted on Monday, April 19. A credit equivalent to that day's wireless service fee will be applied to your May bill. This will be done automatically & no action is required by you.

Click here to read more

iOS wifi calling

iOS wifi calling

SOLVED
10yearfido
I'm an Expert Level 2

iOS wifi calling

With apple announcing wifi calling with iOS 8 and Rogers announcing they will support this feature, will fido also support it? I understand that Fido is now often treated as the ugly stepchild and left out of certain features (Rogers One Number for example) but since this is an OS feature, it'd be nice if we weren't left out in cold this time.

Accepted Solution

Re: iOS wifi calling

Solved by I'm a Contributor Level 2 KevinBroten

i called fido and it looks like on the 16th they will do a carrier update to enable wifi calling for pre-paid monthly users. It will use texts and talk time from plan.

I'm currently already running iOS 9.1 so hopefully I will get the service enabled quickly. 

I only get 2g at one bar in my apartment. and need to use wifi for data.

View solution in context
102 REPLIES 102
10yearfido
I'm an Expert Level 2

Today's the day. Any word?
10yearfido
I'm an Expert Level 2

Any word on this? I know it's generally corporate policy not to discuss upcoming products and services but in this case one half of the company (Rogers) has already formally acknowledged they will support it. Any word from the Fido side of the house?

Sorry 10yearfido,

No word here as of yet. I`ll keep you posted

hmv76
I'm a Participant Level 3

Just wondering if there was any update?  Thanks!

xero9
I'm a Contributor Level 1

I'd like to know too..  iOS 8 will be out in 2 weeks or so.  Would be nice to know FIdo's plans at this point.

FidoRachel
Former Moderator

I'll definitely let you know, it is to be confirmed.

hmv76

Hi FidoRachel just wanted an update on iOS 8 wifi calling on Fido.  Can you please provide an update?

FidoRachel
Former Moderator

Hi hmv76, we're still looking into it. Don't worry, we'll get back to you with more details as soon as we can.

Bert21

I am waiting for the same feature as well.  Please let us know when you know the answer.

Bert21

I called fido today and after a lengthy conversation, the rep told me that wifi calling is only available with fido router.  The router is from 2002-3 and is no longer available.  She said she confirm such with the supervisor of the technical department.

I live in a condo with almost no reception.  I wish fido can provide me with a solution soon.  Otherwise, I may have to explore options from Rogers...

xero9

I'm 100% positive neither of those two people knew what they were talking about.

And if you're going to switch from Fido, why would you go to Rogers?  It's the same network.  Might as well jump ship to the Bell/Telus network if anything.

Less
I'm a Participant Level 2

i heard all kind of excuses from fido, they are concern; they know that this means bad news for them and all others. sooner than later someone would sue then and they might be force to allow free use of this built in feature. crazy idea that fido controls this. think about it, a built in app that belongs to Apple and wifi that you paid, fido did not have a dollar invested here. 

Hello Less and welcome to the Community Smiley

I simply want to confirm with you that we don't charge extra for the Wi-FI calling. This feature is a solution for customers that are in an area with low coverage. Also, usage done with Wi-Fi calling are deducted from the minutes included in your plan.

Bert21

When I doubted her, she was not happy and told me that the answer is drectly from the supervisor of the tech department.  i know this doesn't make sense but no one at fido can slove my problem.  So even if fido does offer such service, I would not know how to obtain such.  I heard someone got iso 8 wifi calling working on Rogers which I need to confrim.

jtega
I'm a Contributor Level 2

Where in the iOS settings on the iPhone 6+ do you go to, to enable these settings for wifi calling?

10yearfido
I'm an Expert Level 2

jtega wrote:

Where in the iOS settings on the iPhone 6+ do you go to, to enable these settings for wifi calling?

The settings is not visible until Fido enables it and pushes out a carrier update file. 

jtega
I'm a Contributor Level 2

What about if you go away on vacation to a country (e.i: United States) and you are on a different mobile network that allows this setting, would it show?

xero9

@jtega wrote:

What about if you go away on vacation to a country (e.i: United States) and you are on a different mobile network that allows this setting, would it show?

As already mentioned, it's dependant on the SIM currently insertered, not on the network you're connected to.

When I've put my T-Mobile SIM in my phone, there is a toggle switch that shows up in Settings -> Phone to turn wifi calling on or off.

Until Fido offers the service and there is an updated carrier settings that shows the toggle switch it's not happening.

10yearfido
I'm an Expert Level 2

thanks.