iOS 9 Wi-Fi Calling

Service interruption

An update for our valued customers: We know you depend on us and on April 19, we let you down - for this we are truly sorry. You won’t be charged for your wireless services that were impacted on Monday, April 19. A credit equivalent to that day's wireless service fee will be applied to your May bill. This will be done automatically & no action is required by you.

Click here to read more

iOS 9 Wi-Fi Calling

iOS 9 Wi-Fi Calling

SOLVED
CyberJP
I'm a Contributor Level 1

iOS 9 Wi-Fi Calling

I still have the message.

IMG_1432.PNG

Accepted Solution

Re: iOS 9 Wi-Fi Calling

Solved by Community Manager

Hey everyone,

You can refer to this page for updates as we'll be updating it as soon as we get any news on it!

View solution in context
267 REPLIES 267
haydenataylor
I'm a Participant Level 3

I've enabled wifi calling and have it working for the past couple of days. Though today even when brown to one bar of service or on airplane mode, it doesn't come on. How do I force it to activate??

Hey @haydenataylor, are you using a Fido phone? Is Wifi calling still enabled in your settings? 

gavin85
I'm a Participant Level 2

It was bought as an unlocked phone.

Thanks for clarifying. Smiley

The phone would need to be purchased as a Rogers/Fido phone to be compatible with Wi-Fi Calling.

misfiringsystem

But that doesn't seem to be true though. I am having the same problem. Unlocked iPhone 6s, with settings turned on, but saying "Waiting for Wi-Fi calling activation"

I tried it on my sister's unlocked iPhone 6, and "Wifi Fido" displayed on the status bar.

Both of us are with Fido.

^Above reply was in response to FidoMaria

AsRdF7Yv1tjYPTJVaBpGIOObHZzj4yMS7SvAgEdjIdF6.jpg

Hey @misfiringsystem, as part of the requirements, if the phone is unlocked, it has to be originally from Fido or Rogers. 

Does it mean it'll never work with other phones? No, it's just what we can guarantee for now.

jiafengwu
I'm a Participant Level 1

cannot turn on wifi calling

Hi Jiafengwu, 

What happens exactly? Where did you get your phone? 

tutherthing

Hi

I've been trying to get wifi calling set up for over 2 months now. Still nothing Sad

1st call (2+ months ago) Very helpful, enthusiastic remote re-booting of my phone, reading of much technical information, consulting of his manager and his 'tech wizard'. No luck. Eventually was informed this was a problem with Apple and that i would need to wait for the next iOS update. Waited several weeks, updated iOS, tried to set up wifi calling. No luck Sad

2nd Call (1 month ago?) Again super helpful and confident she could resolve this for me. Told me that wifi calling had to be 'added' to my phone, by applying a 'code'. This would take 72 hrs to take effect and would then work. Waited, tried to enable wifi calling. No go. Sad

3rd call (1 week ago) told me he could resolve this for me no problem. Tried all of the above. Read and re-read me technical set-up steps. Consulted his manager. Finally concluded that it says wifi calling is only available to 'Voice and data' plans and I have a 'voice plan with data add-on' this was most likely the issue. Suggested I change my plan. Couldn't guarantee that this would work or that he could put me back on my existing plan later, if it doesn't work. Came to the fido.ca website to read the wifi calling requirements myself. Re-read the wifi calling FAQs. Not sure if his assessment is correct, the language of the FAQ is ambiguous.

Finally came here, to find out that there's a NEW requirement- that ONLY phones purchased from Fido or Rogers are now eligible.

Please, for the love of all that is holy- WHY is that piece of information ONLY found here, buried on an obscure thread in the Community Forum??!!!

Why is this not in the FAQs and why do NONE of your Customer Service reps know this?

(Also, it's very bad form to edit or update your opening post with new information or fundamental changes in company policy without clearly dating and indicating that new information. http://forums.fido.ca/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/NonTechnical/message-id/15199#M15199

If it really is the case now that ONLY phones purchsed from Fido or Rogers are eligible for wifi calling, please state clearly WHEN this became true and what time frame you expect to resolve this in for your other customers.)

Hi Turtherthing, 

The information was also available in the terms of use for the service http://bit.ly/TandCWiFiCalling

Like any service, we can't guarantee it will work on an unlocked device and it is our understanding that it works on some devices but not all, that is why agents first thought it would work. 

*** Edited Typos ***

Bert21

I have the same issue.  And I bought the phone from Apple.  Fido should fix this issue soon.

We're working on a fix Bert21, but right now, only devices bought from Rogers or Fido are compatible with the Wi-Fi calling service. 

Keep an eye on this page for updates. 

gavin85

Hi, my wifi calling is on however it is stuck on wifi calling waiting for activation. I bought my iPhone 6 from the Apple Store.

Hi gavin85!

Was your phone bought as an unlocked phone at the Apple store, or as a Fido phone?

Let me know. Smiley

alancoulson
I'm a Participant Level 1

I am getting that message when trying to set up wifi calling. I see the last update was a month ago - so still having problems?

iPhone 6plus with latest OSX update installed

Hey alancoulson and welcome to the community Smiley

Let's take a look at that issue together.

I'm sending you a PM. Talk to you soon.

Hey everyone,

You can refer to this page for updates as we'll be updating it as soon as we get any news on it!

skylu0701

I got  IPHONE 6 and IPHONE5S. IPHONE 6 bought from APPLE STORE Wifi calling not working, IPHONE 5S from Fido but ever got repair exchange from APPLE STORE Wifi calling not working too.

Hey skylu0701.

Let's take a look at this together.

I'm sending you a PM to get this looked into Smiley