iOS 9.1 and Fido 22.1 - VoLTE

SOLVED
Pll25
I'm a Participant Level 3

Hello,

As the last update happened today, I would like to know what's the point on Voice Over LTE right now. I upgrades my iPhone to OS 9.1 and Carrier Update 22.1.

Some people on Rogers reports that VoLTE is working on iphone 6s/ 6s Plus. Still not working on my iphone 6.

My account and SIM card should support it. This feature have been supported in the US for more than a year now ...
Is there any fix around that or something that I am missing ?

Thhanks!

Accepted Solution

Re: iOS 9.1 and Fido 22.1 - VoLTE

Solved by Fido Employee AdamBeast

Hi PII25, 

Beginning today, Rogers (Business and Consumer) and Fido Wi-Fi Calling customers with an iPhone 6s and 6s Plus, will have access to the added advantage of VoLTE with seamless handover and other exciting updates!

Advantages: 

Customers using Wi-Fi calling in Canada will be able to move between a Wi-Fi connection and the Rogers/Fido LTE network (and vice versa) without dropping their calls.

With VoLTE, you will experience high-definition calls with fast set up times and lightning fast LTE data speeds while you talk and browse the web on your device.  

To enable VoLTE and Seamless Handover:

- If you have already enabled Wi-Fi Calling, gaining access to the new updates is easy - simply,you just need to toggle the Wi-Fi Calling feature on their device "off" and then "on" again.
 - If you are activating Wi-Fi Calling today onwards: once you complete the Wi-Fi Calling setup process, VoLTE and Seamless Handover will be automatic.

At this moment, this service is for iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus only. 

View solution in context
11 REPLIES 11
Pll25

So is there any new update with this for the iphone 6 as I had the network update 23.1 today?

Hey PII25.

I invite you keep an eye at our OS upgrade schedule.

You can find it here.

Hope this helps Smiley

Pll25

Thanks for the reply!

But 10year Fido is right, when will the support for iphone 6 will be enabled ? I own a 800$ phone paying more than 65$/month (same price as the customers with 6s/6splus) which is less than one year old on the marketand you tell me that it cannot do it due to technical limitations ?

Companies in the us even are compatible with Iphone 5s and VoLTE. And I also have Wi-Fi calling enabled, and I also got the carrier update...
MisterBernz
I'm a Participant Level 1

Probably because the 6S models are beasts. Maybe since the older iPhones are well, older, that they would be too sluggish handling both at once?? Theoretical data download speeds are up to 100mb/s on the 5S I believe?
mike_from_ATT
I'm a Contributor Level 2

@MisterBernz wrote:
Probably because the 6S models are beasts. Maybe since the older iPhones are well, older, that they would be too sluggish handling both at once?? Theoretical data download speeds are up to 100mb/s on the 5S I believe?

The 6, 6+ and 5s all support it so that isnt the issue, Apple wouldnt have enabled it if they couldnt handle it. Rogers / fido are probably trying to ease into VOLTE by enabling it for a few people at a time, and slowly adding call capacity. It would be nice if they would just hurry up and enable it for all phones that support it though.

10yearfido
I'm an Expert Level 2

@MisterBernz wrote:

Nope. The 5S was perfectly capable of supporting the speeds that VoLTE needs. It's voice, not HD video. It doesn't require massive amounts of bandwidth. In fact low network utilization is a big reason carriers are devloping VoLTE, it's puts less load on their networks.

But even if we assume the 5, 5s and 5C are out because of technical limitations (there aren't any) that still doesn't explain the 6 and the 6Plus being left out. Every other carrier in the world that supports VoLTE (not many yet to be fair) with the iPhone support at least back to the 6/6Plus. It's barely a year old.

AdamBeast
Fido Employee

Hi PII25, 

Beginning today, Rogers (Business and Consumer) and Fido Wi-Fi Calling customers with an iPhone 6s and 6s Plus, will have access to the added advantage of VoLTE with seamless handover and other exciting updates!

Advantages: 

Customers using Wi-Fi calling in Canada will be able to move between a Wi-Fi connection and the Rogers/Fido LTE network (and vice versa) without dropping their calls.

With VoLTE, you will experience high-definition calls with fast set up times and lightning fast LTE data speeds while you talk and browse the web on your device.  

- If you have already enabled Wi-Fi Calling, gaining access to the new updates is easy - simply,you just need to toggle the Wi-Fi Calling feature on their device "off" and then "on" again.
 - If you are activating Wi-Fi Calling today onwards: once you complete the Wi-Fi Calling setup process, VoLTE and Seamless Handover will be automatic.

kris2k
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Looks like Rogers/Fido rolled-out a bug with iOS 9.1 + Carrier Update 22.1 impacting IPhone6 users (not 6s)

Basically, it appears that Carrier Update 22.1 assumes a fully-functional LTE stack with wifi handover because now my iPhone6 (on Fido) takes every opportunity to offload calls over wifi even when LTE signal is optimal (which contradicts marketing material for this feature).

I tried toggling wifi calling on/off to activate handover, but AdamBeast's statement is consistent for iphone6 and therefore my call drops when I move away from my wifi coverage.  And when I disable wifi calling. I notice that my phone will downgrade from LTE to 3G to place the call.

So the only workaround is to disable wifi calling to avoid call interruptions if one moves frequently-out of wifi zones,

Hope this gets fixed soon!  

fpenguin
I'm a Participant Level 1

Where is the menu for this? I can't seem to be able to find it from Settings > Cellular / Carrier 

Hey fpenguin and welcome to the Community.

@Community: Anyone with that had the same issue that can help with this?

***Edited to correct information***

10yearfido
I'm an Expert Level 2

@AdamBeast wrote:

Hi PII25, 

Advantages: 

Interesting. I wasn't aware they had finally enabled it for iPhones. It's more than a little concerning that they have restricted it to the 6S and 6S Plus however. There is no technological reason for them not to include the 6/6Plus or even the 5S.