got a text from Fido saying they detected slight error in my billing, and link to fidorecovery.com

got a text from Fido saying they detected slight error in my billing, and link to fidorecovery.com

SOLVED
SLeee
I'm a Participant Level 2

I got a text presumably from Fido that they detected a slight error in my billing information. It says please sign in and update my information on http://fidorecovery.com. I went on to the website, and typed in my phone number and my account password. Then it asked for my Fido nip or something, and I wasn't sure what nip was, so I googled, and I now believe that the web page and the text is a scam. Am I correct? I can't click on the "x" to get rid of the dialog box on fidorecovery.com website to reveal the fido main page.

If this really is a scam, how much am I affected by giving away my phone number and Fido my account password?? Why is Fido not controlling these scams??? I'm very worried right now.

BTW when I just go to the fido regular website on computer and log in, my account page doesn't say there is anything wrong with my account.

Please help. Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Re: got a text from Fido saying they detected slight error in my billing, and link to fidorecover...

Solved by Moderator

Hey @SLeee

I can understand how this would be a concerning situation. Fido would never ask you to update these kinds of information through a text message or on a third-party website. While we do take many steps to help fight against phishing, the truth is we can't stop all fraudsters from attempting to go after our customers or anyone else online.

I'll send you a PM so we can take a closer look at this and make sure everything is still well set-up with your Fido account. Smiley 

View solution in context
5 REPLIES 5
mahmud1
I'm a Participant Level 1

Hi, I got the same message and i'm really worried. Please look at my account if there is something fishy. I don't know what to do now. Any suggestions thanks!

Hi @mahmud1

Welcome to the Community Smiley

All you need to know is in the first post of this topic. 

If you didn't enter any information after visiting that website, there's nothing to worry about it's a scam.

Did you enter any information on that website?

zyx
I'm Qualified Level 2
I'm Qualified Level 2

Why is Fido not controlling these scams?

How do you propose they control it? These sites are probably operated from China or Russia or some other country where they're either not breaking the law or law enforcement have much bigger things to worry about.
KAPABLE-K
MVP

@SLeee wrote:

I got a text presumably from Fido that they detected a slight error in my billing information. It says please sign in and update my information on http://fidorecovery.com. I went on to the website, and typed in my phone number and my account password. Then it asked for my Fido nip or something, and I wasn't sure what nip was, so I googled, and I now believe that the web page and the text is a scam. Am I correct? I can't click on the "x" to get rid of the dialog box on fidorecovery.com website to reveal the fido main page.

If this really is a scam, how much am I affected by giving away my phone number and Fido my account password?? Why is Fido not controlling these scams??? I'm very worried right now.

BTW when I just go to the fido regular website on computer and log in, my account page doesn't say there is anything wrong with my account.

Please help. Thanks.

***Edited to add labels*** 

@SLeee its clearly a scam to get your info, now because you clicked on the link and entered your phone number and password I strongly suggest you change your password ASAP.

FidoPierre

Hey @SLeee

I can understand how this would be a concerning situation. Fido would never ask you to update these kinds of information through a text message or on a third-party website. While we do take many steps to help fight against phishing, the truth is we can't stop all fraudsters from attempting to go after our customers or anyone else online.

I'll send you a PM so we can take a closer look at this and make sure everything is still well set-up with your Fido account. Smiley