fido wifi calls

fido wifi calls

fido wifi calls

stefhen
I'm a Contributor Level 1

fido wifi calls

Hi,

I am in Montreal south shore today and the wifi calls do not work. Am I alone in that case ?

thanks

16 REPLIES 16
FidoMatt
Former Moderator

Hi Stefhen, 

Could it be because of the WiFi network you're connected to ? 

stefhen

no, my wifi connection is correct and I can go to the internet without issue.

FidoMatt
Former Moderator

Do you have regular receotion where you are? 

WiFi calling should only kick in when the regular reception is weak. 

stefhen

Yes, the regular reception is correct, but yesterday it was working in the same place.

What device are you using?

stefhen

iPhone 6S Plus

stefhen

Do we need a special plan or option with Fido contract or just a compatible phone ?

FidoMatt
Former Moderator

only a compatible phone is needed. 

Hi stefhen, 

Could you try to turn your phone into "airplane mode", then turn on the Wifi. 

If you can see "Wifi Fido" as provider name, then the service is fine for wifi calling. 

Your iPhone just does not want to switch to wifi calling mode sometimes, it happened to me as well. 

This service is intended for you to use the phone where the fido network reception is weak or no existing. 

The phone may make its own decision from which one to use if both are available. 

If you want to explictly use this mode only, even fido network is working fine, then you must use the method I mentioned above -> turn on airplane mode, then turn on wifi. 

stefhen

ok thanks for your reply.

Today no problem with wifi calling, strange.

Question : in airplane mode (I have an iPhone 6S), could we receive incoming calls if the phone is in standby mode ?

thanks

Hi stefhen!

Just to make sure I understood your question, did you mean to ask if WiFi calling would work while on airplane mode?

If that's what you meant, I don't see why it wouldn't since you can still connect to WiFi while on airplane mode. Smiley

Cheers!

stefhen

Not exactly my question, I am asking if the phone is in "standby mode" (the screen is black) AND airplane mode WITH wifi enabled, could we receive phone calls with "wifi calling" feature ?

I know we can make phone calls (outband calls) in airplane mode with wifi enabled.

Yes, you should still be able recieve incoming calls. 

I'll try it out tonight anyway, and nice thinking. 

You can try it youself as well, it is easy to simulate this scenario.  Smiley 

@stefhen wrote:

Not exactly my question, I am asking if the phone is in "standby mode" (the screen is black) AND airplane mode WITH wifi enabled, could we receive phone calls with "wifi calling" feature ?

I know we can make phone calls (outband calls) in airplane mode with wifi enabled.

Hey everyone, were you able to test this out? Any updates?

Hi @FidoStephen@stefhen,

I tested this, I turned on airplane mode, and then turned on wifi.

I turned the screen off, and waited about 10 minutes.

Then I called from other phone...   and yes!  It was working!.

You can recieve incoming calls in standby mode.  ( tested on iphone 6s plus)

Hey stefhen,

Thanks for clarifying!

You'd have to make sure that your WIFI stays connected when your phone is in Stanby. You can check it out in your settings but it shouldn't be a problem Smiley