fido range in Northern Ontario

kathymt60
I'm a Participant Level 1

I live in Winnipeg but will be spending time north of Kenora, Ontario. Coverage is often thin there. How does Fido rate? I need to know as I will be getting a new phone and need coverage while I travel there

2 REPLIES 2
Cawtau
Senior MVP

@kathymt60 wrote:

I live in Winnipeg but will be spending time north of Kenora, Ontario. Coverage is often thin there. How does Fido rate? I need to know as I will be getting a new phone and need coverage while I travel there

Hello Kathymt60,

Welcome to the forums!

How far north of Kenora are you referring to? According to here, there appears to be only one Fido/Rogers cellular tower in Kenora.

North of Kenora.jpg

I cannot vouch for accuracy.

There do not appear to be any Fido/Rogers towers North of Kenora. Since there is only one tower in the city itself, you may or may not get reception in parts of Kenora depending on where you are in relation to the tower.

That said, there are Extended coverage roaming agreements with other Canadian wireless companies (roaming needs to be on). If you are in an area not covered by Fido/Rogers but is covered by another service, you will roam on their network as Fido-EXT without any additional charge (may be plan dependent). Note however, extended coverage is only meant for short-term use. If you exceed 50% usage within extended coverage, it will be blocked (see here). **edit** For additional information regarding Extended coverage, you can see here.**

However, since the other towers are rather sparse north of Kenora, signal may also be spotty.

**edit** Do you know people in the area you are travelling to? If you do, you might consider asking them how the cellular service is.**

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

KAPABLE-K
MVP

Hi @kathymt60

You can view Fido coverage area here.

You can also do a network status check here.