fido dollars: why fido eliminate them?

SOLVED
alexyoo
I'm a Participant Level 2

fido says that people are not using them.  that is nonsense of an answer.  fido eliminated them because clients are accumulating too much and fido looked as it as fdo will be losing lots of money.  fido should award clients for being loyal and i thought it was great for them to give fido dollars.  but now it seems like they only care about there bottom line and not the clients.  i would like to hear from the fido clients and let me know what you think about the elimination of fido dollars

Accepted Solution

Re: fido dollars: why fido eliminate them?

Solved by Former Moderator FidoRanya

Hey @alexyoo ,

Welcome to the Community! 

We were all sad to see FidoDOLLARS™ go but we were also excited to introduce new rewards that most of our customers do enjoy Smiley

There's more information on the rewards programs here

View solution in context
2 REPLIES 2
EFTC
I'm Qualified Level 1

@alexyoo wrote:

fido says that people are not using them.  that is nonsense of an answer.  fido eliminated them because clients are accumulating too much and fido looked as it as fdo will be losing lots of money.  fido should award clients for being loyal and i thought it was great for them to give fido dollars.  but now it seems like they only care about there bottom line and not the clients.  i would like to hear from the fido clients and let me know what you think about the elimination of fido dollars

**Edited to add labels**

The comments above are merely inferred and presented without any proof whatsoever.  I suppose some people want to make their voice heard but unable to present any proofs after making blind accusations.

Fido dollars was introduced ~ 1999 - 2000. This program is setup to promote Fido customers to upgrade their phone after 2 - 3 years in the form of a Fido reward. Basically ~ 1 - 2% of your eligable bill is credited towards a Fido dollars account and the $ can be used to pay for extra services or new phone.  The inner workings is similar to a cash back credit card you can find at most major banks and costco. When the program was introduced, phones typically cost $100 to $400 tops.  With a 3 year contract and big carrier subsidies, you can get a $400 dollar phone for $100 and with Fido dollars one might only have to pay $50 dollars for a 3 year contract. 

Fast Forward 17 years.  Phone costs $400 to $1,300. Carrier subsidies are limited due to contract agreements between phone companies and service providers. Cost of phone plans increase but FIdo dollars reward percentage did not change. Because of this, you will have to accumulate upwards of 4 - 6 years in order to have it pay off your $1,300 beloved iphone.  However, if you have that kind of $$, why don't you just get an unlocked phone from apple store? (Keep in mind stores only sell carrier locked phone and stores like Ericsson, Nokia,...etc never existed back in 2000). Fido dollars is no longer the "selling point" of staying with Fido and that might be one of the reason why it was eliminated. 

FidoRanya
Former Moderator

Hey @alexyoo ,

Welcome to the Community! 

We were all sad to see FidoDOLLARS™ go but we were also excited to introduce new rewards that most of our customers do enjoy Smiley

There's more information on the rewards programs here