fake number

fake number

fake number

mc81
I'm a Participant Level 2

fake number

Recenty  I have been getting incoming call that goes directly to voice message.  Someone at Fido told me it could be the phone is out range or my phone is turn off.  However it was not the case.  When I listened to the voice message, it was a woman laughing and one point pretending that she is the one getting the call.  I press "5" to find the number.  When I call the number, it was not assigned. I have been getting this voicemessage several time daily. 

I would like to know if anyon know how it possible someone can use a fake number and get the to your voice message.  I know in the USA, you just dial 267-SLYDIAL (267-759-3425) and then the mobile number you want to reach and it only work in USA. 

I would like to know if anyone know a solution to stop this. Would it be better to change provider and phone number?

3 REPLIES 3
Cawtau
Senior MVP

Hello Mc81,

Just to clarify, is this issue different from the one you mentioned in your other post here? In that post, you noted that no messages were left on your voicemail from those calls...

A fellow community member posted about what could be happening, here.

While I understand this may not be a solution to the issue, I hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

mc81
I'm a Participant Level 2

It is the same problem. The person did not actually leave a message, all I can hear in the background was laughing and once i hear the person talking like she is the one getting the call instead of me.  Sometimes the person would just hang up, but by pressing "5" I manage to locate the number as 866-371-6702 . I called the number and it said the number was unassigned.  I need to find a solution as I don't want my voice message box to be fill everyday.

I call 611 (Fido) and they said they can't do anything. 

Hello again,

It seems as though that number is making the rounds (see here and here). Strange though that calls to your phone go straight to voicemail...

Unfortunately, there isn't much that can be done to prevent callers from leaving voicemail. If you block or reject calls from your phone, the calls will get forwarded to voicemail.

There are some apps which do prevent callers from leaving voicemail. They work by picking up and almost simultaneously hanging up the call, thereby preventing the calls from going to voicemail. You should note though, those calls will be considered connected and will be charged accordingly.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers