facetime

facetime

facetime

SOLVED
toto75
I'm a Participant Level 2

facetime

Hello,

I'm not sure to understand. I'm using Facetime for a while. I'm very surprise and had the bad experience to see Fido charges me $0,75/min for a Facetime call.

I use to travel a lot and it's the first time I've seen a voice call with facetime not free. Facetime uses the wifi network... otherwise is not working.

How it could be possible I have to pay some Long-distance charges when I'm using a wifi network?

Any comments and suggestions are welcome!!

Thank you 

Accepted Solution

Re: facetime

Solved by Senior MVP Senior MVP

@toto75 wrote:

Wed Mar 02 00:50 OUT VANCOUVER BC 33xxxxxxxxx France EW min/sec 26:00 0.00 - 0.75 $19.50 $19.50

How you see I called in France from Vancouver BC. When I said I use to travel, you would like to say it's the first time I have this kind of experience with a carrier. 

I'm agree something sound strange. Because it should charge me on my datas and not a normal call. Is it right?

The funny thing is I didn't subscribe any Fido service to call abroad. So If I try I couldn't call or text in France for exemple with my phone.

I'm not sure what I can do to resolve my problem. Do you have any idea?

Thank you so much

Hello again,

If I understand correctly, you made a call to France when you were in Vancouver. From the charge you noted, it looks like the call was made as an international call and not a FaceTime call. You do not have to subscribe to any international calling service to call abroad. If you dial an international number, it will connect on a pay-per-use basis.

International calls.jpg

Taken from here.

The $0.75 per minute to France corresponds with the charge you noted.

I'm not sure exactly why your phone connected as an international call rather than a FaceTime call. For the future, there may be a setting on your phone to barr it from making international calls to prevent it from happening again.

**edit** You should also note that you will also be able to sent texts internationally on a pay-per-use basis as well.

International texts.jpg

Taken from here.**

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
6 REPLIES 6
Cawtau
Senior MVP

@toto75 wrote:

Hello,

I'm not sure to understand. I'm using Facetime for a while. I'm very surprise and had the bad experience to see Fido charges me $0,75/min for a Facetime call.

I use to travel a lot and it's the first time I've seen a voice call with facetime not free. Facetime uses the wifi network... otherwise is not working.

How it could be possible I have to pay some Long-distance charges when I'm using a wifi network?

Any comments and suggestions are welcome!!

Thank you 

Hello Toto75,

Welcome to the forums!

I would have to agree with @FidoRanya, something doesn't sound quite right. Are you sure it is a per minute charge? A Facetime call wouldn't be charged on a per minute basis. Even if you were using cellular data for the Facetime call, it would be charged as data (roaming data if outside of Canada). The data would be charged per allotment of data, not by the minute.

Text messages would be charged per text, not by time.

@  Was the total charge $0.75? or was it X amount of dollars (xx minutes at @ $0.75)?

If the charge was for a call, is it possible that you didn't have a strong enough Wifi connection so your phone connected as a regular call instead? Is it possible that the other party didn't have Facetime so the call connected as a regular call?

Were you travelling at the time? That is, are the charges long-distance charges or roaming charges?...

Cheers

toto75
I'm a Participant Level 2

Hello,

Thank you for your help. I'm really happy to read from you.

Yes I call in France via Facetime or Viber or Skipe or... If I'm not connected to the wifi it's not working or going to disconnect straight away. I double check my details of Factime and It's exactly the same detail I've got on my bill. I don't have this issue with the other apps.

To be more precise, here an exemple of one call via Facetime (to an other Factime):

Wed Mar 02 00:50 OUT VANCOUVER BC 33xxxxxxxxx France EW min/sec 26:00 0.00 - 0.75 $19.50 $19.50

How you see I called in France from Vancouver BC. When I said I use to travel, you would like to say it's the first time I have this kind of experience with a carrier. 

I'm agree something sound strange. Because it should charge me on my datas and not a normal call. Is it right?

The funny thing is I didn't subscribe any Fido service to call abroad. So If I try I couldn't call or text in France for exemple with my phone.

Thank you so much

@toto75 wrote:

Thank you so much

Hello again,

If I understand correctly, you made a call to France when you were in Vancouver. From the charge you noted, it looks like the call was made as an international call and not a FaceTime call. You do not have to subscribe to any international calling service to call abroad. If you dial an international number, it will connect on a pay-per-use basis.

International calls.jpg

Taken from here.

The $0.75 per minute to France corresponds with the charge you noted.

I'm not sure exactly why your phone connected as an international call rather than a FaceTime call. For the future, there may be a setting on your phone to barr it from making international calls to prevent it from happening again.

**edit** You should also note that you will also be able to sent texts internationally on a pay-per-use basis as well.

International texts.jpg

Taken from here.**

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Hey @toto75.

I would like to take a quick look at your bill to confirm the charges with you.

Facetime calls can't be charged as long distance. So maybe something else happened.

I'm sending you a PM to get this sorted out.

Talk to you soon Smiley

- FidoKenny

KAPABLE-K
MVP

It could be that you were not connected to a WiFi network at the time and your Facetime call connected over your cellular data connection.

Hey toto75, 

Welcome to the Community Smiley

In order to use Facetime you have to be connected to data or Wifi. The charge for calls per minute is not $0.75 if you are abroad so this sounds a little strange! 

Are you sure you were billed for using Facetime, could it  have been something else like a text message?